This paragraph interests me quite a bit.
Oyster has been a pain for me, it kills opportunist journeys. Say I'm at the station and I see a bus going where I am but the train isn't for a while. If I've already touched in then I'm committed to taking the train.
If there is a serious possibility of an either/or opportunity then surely you are better not touching in until you know which way you are going. Otherwise you run the risk of missing the bus while you get out of the station?
If doing a London bash or want to take the long way to somewhere on a Travelcard then it massively complicates things as I have to stick to valid routes between places that I can touch in and out.
This is the only time that I agree paper tickets are better, although they've recently increased the maximum journey times in zones 1-3 so there is a little less chance of being caught by maximum journey times.
Then I have to wait to be able to touch back in again at a station if I've just left for a smoke and then there's the hassle of finding somewhere to top up (especially on a sunday) as most TOCs still don't sell Oyster products.
At most stations you will start a new journey straight away if you touch in straight after touching out. Which station have you found that you have to wait at? AFAIK it is only SWT that don't provide Oyster facilities at their TVMs, and that is being resolved this year. If you use your Oyster most weeks then I advise auto top-up as that removes the worry about running out.
To add insult to injury as a 16-25 holder it doesn't save me any money.
It can do. Take your Oyster card and your 16-25 card to an Underground station and ask them to register the discount. Then you'll get a third off all off-peak rail tickets (inc tube/dlr) and the off-peak price cap. You even get the discount off the 1-2 and 1-4 price caps which you don't with a paper travelcard. Take a look at
my site and print off the advice about getting the discount applied in case you get a clerk who doesn't know what to do.
In fact it costs a lot more than a paper Travelcard if I intend on travelling past midnight. Another sneaky fare rise there which is why most of the time I just buy a paper ticket instead.
Whilst there is a known problem with some post midnight travel I'd be interested to know where you've hit issues. If you do get overcharged then the Oyster helpline will refund you. You shouldn't hit a problem on any line where services stop by about 1am, it's only the few lines that run all night.
Overall, apart from bashing, I would always recommend using Oyster. A lot of people just buy a travelcard for convenience, or in case they need it, but then don't make full use of it. With Oyster you only pay the price cap if you use it enough.