• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

News and updates on model railway products

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddragon

Established Member
Joined
24 Mar 2016
Messages
3,275
Location
Churn (closed)
I think the Electrostar EMU is the biggest omission around. You can get c450s, I have an 8-car unit in SWT livery
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,738
Location
West Riding
Agreed 319’s/769’s would be quite a sensible addition as they have operated quite widespread routes now so have a good amount of appeal. Electrostars also a big gap to be filled.

At the moment the Accurascale 37 still looks better value and I don’t see anything wrong with my existing Bachmann 37’s so unless there’s a livery example that I really need I won’t be rushing to buy one of the new ones. The only advantage of the new Bachmann 37 is that some examples are available immediately, whereas you still need to wait for the Accurascale version
 

reddragon

Established Member
Joined
24 Mar 2016
Messages
3,275
Location
Churn (closed)
Some locos, namely 08,37,47,52,66 are being done to death so have huge bargains available if you are patient. Some reason though 47s hold their value!

Other models have minimal availability & hence silly prices, S stock is the most extreme.
 

RichJF

Established Member
Joined
2 Nov 2012
Messages
1,202
Location
South London
Agreed 319’s/769’s would be quite a sensible addition as they have operated quite widespread routes now so have a good amount of appeal. Electrostars also a big gap to be filled.

At the moment the Accurascale 37 still looks better value and I don’t see anything wrong with my existing Bachmann 37’s so unless there’s a livery example that I really need I won’t be rushing to buy one of the new ones. The only advantage of the new Bachmann 37 is that some examples are available immediately, whereas you still need to wait for the Accurascale version
You have 3-cars 375/377s trundling about & at one point in history 378s in London as well! So it's not like you need a full 4 car set for a model to be manufactured. I'm sure they could keep it under Bachmann 37/47 prices if they offered a straight DC version.

Even a RTR 2 car 456 in Connex, Southern, SWT would be a start!
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,738
Location
West Riding
More Bachmann announcements today:


Descriptive text from Rails:


BACHMANN HAVE TODAY REVEALED THEIR 2022 AUTUMN ANNOUNCEMENTS. ALL PRODUCTS ARE NOW ON OUR WEBSITE AND AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER.​


VIEW THE RANGE HERE​

Today (Wednesday 3rd August) Bachmann unveiled their latest new products for Bachmann Branchline, Graham Farish, Scenecraft in their Autumn 2022 British Railway Announcements – headlined by new tooling projects in both N and OO scale. Less than two weeks since the surprise announcement of the all-new Bachmann Branchline OO scale Class 37 during the DEMU Showcase event, details of the first batch of new Class 37s to be released this Autumn have also been revealed.

MORE CLASS 37S JOIN THE FLEET​


Starting with the new OO scale Class 37 and four further models will be released in addition to No. 37430 ‘Cwmbran’ which is already available. Two models depict Class 37/0s and there are two further Class 37/4s as well – all are available in our award-winning SOUND FITTED DELUXE format in addition to the standard and SOUND FITTED options.

VIEW THE 37 RANGE HERE​

TIME TO DANCE​

secrnew_1024x1024.png


VIEW THE DANCE HALL BRAKE VANS HERE​

Aside from the new 37s, further new tooling from Bachmann Branchline comes in the form of the SE&CR 25 Ton Dance Hall Brake Van. These imposing vehicles are often asked for and now appear in OO scale for the first time, complementing other SE&CR prototypes that can be found in the Bachmann Branchline range such as the C Class Steam Locomotive and Birdcage Coaches. New versions of the Class 101 and 105 DMUs will also be arriving this Autumn, whilst the BR Mk2F Refurbished Driving Brake Second Opens which have been in high demand since their release earlier this year see further versions announced in the liveries of BR InterCity (Swallow) and Network Rail.

ELECTRIC CLASS 90 FROM GRAHAM FARISH​


VIEW THE N GAUGE CLASS 90S HERE​

In N scale the launch of a brand-new Class 90 Electric Locomotive marks a major milestone for Graham Farish – this being the first all-new tooling project announced by Graham Farish via Bachmann’s quarterly British Railway Announcements. Much-requested by consumers following the release of the highly acclaimed Bachmann Branchline OO scale model, the new N scale models will debut at The International N Gauge Show in September, with delivery due by the end of 2022. Five models will be available initially, each with the option of SOUND FITTED, and every Graham Farish Class 90 will feature a coreless motor, all-wheel pick up and all-wheel drive, a Next18 DCC decoder socket, a pre-fitted speaker, directional lights, cab lights when used on DCC, and a poseable pantograph.

WE LIKE THE SOUND OF THE MIDLAND CLASS 3835​


VIEW THE MR CLASS 4FS HERE​

Alongside the Class 90, Graham Farish also announced that the Midland Railway Class 3835 (4F) has been upgraded to feature a Next18 DCC decoder socket and pre-fitted speaker; these enhancements will benefit the three models due for release this Autumn and allow the production of the three SOUND FITTED models announced today.



GRAHAM FARISH – 50 YEARS OF N SCALE​


Following the recent celebrations of 50 years of N scale models from Graham Farish and with the naming of a GB Railfreight Class 60 locomotive to mark this occasion, a special 50th Anniversary Collectors Pack featuring this locomotive has been announced. Alongside the model of Class 60 No. 60002 ‘Graham Farish 50th Anniversary’ – which will also be available with SOUND FITTED – each pack includes a commemorative nameplate, pin badge, £35 Bachmann Collectors Club voucher and a certificate of authenticity, all of which is presented in a bespoke wooden box.



SALES AREA EXCLUSIVE MODEL​


A second round of N scale Sales Area Exclusive models has also been announced, this time featuring a quartet of Class 08 Diesel Shunters utilising the new high-spec 08 from Graham Farish and including SOUND FITTED options for each. Our regional locomotive is the East Midland Trains shunter.



THERE’S SOMETHING BIG COMING FROM SCENECRAFT​


Away from the rails and there were new models announced for Bachmann’s Scenecraft range too. These finely detailed, hand painted buildings and accessories are ready to place on any layout or diorama and the new additions include models in N, OO and O scale. Notably in O scale, it is now possible to model a convincing diesel depot scene using the new Diesel Fuelling Point, Fuelling Point Pump House, Fuel Storage Tank and Office Block – the latter being ideally suited to use as a depot mess room among other applications.


In OO scale there is a signalling theme this Autumn with the Signalman’s Token Platform, Brick & Timber Signal Box and Air Raid Protection (ARP) Signal Box amongst the new items, whilst the N scale range benefits from several warehouse/industrial buildings and a trio of different houses ranging from the quintessential Rural Workers Cottages to the austere Prefabricated House.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,960
Location
Devon
More Bachmann announcements today:


Descriptive text from Rails:


That N gauge 90 is quite something…
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire

An interesting move from Bachmann!
They claim not to have been influenced by Accurascale, I'm not convinced to be honest...

However the fact they're doing 430 in large logo convinced me to order one, as I have a sentimental attachment to that loco in that livery. Using the money I've been putting aside since quitting smoking a few months ago, I even went for the deluxe sound-fitted version.

Unfortunately the retailer (Derails models) rang me on Thursday to say they'd got my loco out to test before dispatching it and found it was running poorly. They asked if I wanted a refund or for them to return it to Bachmann for repair. I chose the latter option so it might be delayed by a month, but it's not as if I have a layout to run it on yet anyway.
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,738
Location
West Riding
They claim not to have been influenced by Accurascale, I'm not convinced to be honest...

However the fact they're doing 430 in large logo convinced me to order one, as I have a sentimental attachment to that loco in that livery. Using the money I've been putting aside since quitting smoking a few months ago, I even went for the deluxe sound-fitted version.

Unfortunately the retailer (Derails models) rang me on Thursday to say they'd got my loco out to test before dispatching it and found it was running poorly. They asked if I wanted a refund or for them to return it to Bachmann for repair. I chose the latter option so it might be delayed by a month, but it's not as if I have a layout to run it on yet anyway.
I'm also suspicious, but in their defence they did fully revamp their class 47 so it could be argued that the 37 was the logical next step.

Well, I'm sure it will be a very nice model but I think the quality is about the same but Accurascale win massively on price. I've had a DCC Sound 37 on order with them for a while, which I won't be cancelling for a Bachmann one. As much as I'd like a 37/4, I'm expecting some more fitting ones for my layout to be announced by Accurascale fairly soon, so I will probably just pick up another of theirs. Can't see the Bachmann ones doing too well, the ones with very specific liveries may do okay with people modelling those areas, but I think Accurascale are well placed having opened their order books first and winning on price. It will be an interesting to watch, and I will be interested to hear your thoughts on your model when it arrives :)
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
I'm also suspicious, but in their defence they did fully revamp their class 47 so it could be argued that the 37 was the logical next step.

Well, I'm sure it will be a very nice model but I think the quality is about the same but Accurascale win massively on price. I've had a DCC Sound 37 on order with them for a while, which I won't be cancelling for a Bachmann one. As much as I'd like a 37/4, I'm expecting some more fitting ones for my layout to be announced by Accurascale fairly soon, so I will probably just pick up another of theirs. Can't see the Bachmann ones doing too well, the ones with very specific liveries may do okay with people modelling those areas, but I think Accurascale are well placed having opened their order books first and winning on price. It will be an interesting to watch, and I will be interested to hear your thoughts on your model when it arrives :)
Accurascale definitely win on price, but Bachmann offer my "favourite" loco so they've managed to snare me that way! I've seen a few reviews of the new one, and it looks like a well-designed model. I may end up selling my earlier 37s (one Bachmann and two ViTrains examples) once I've retrieved them from storage. I've got two Accurascale 31s on pre-order so I'm not neglecting the new kids on the block. Once my repaired 37 arrives I'm sure I'll give a brief summary of it on the "Latest Acquisition" thread.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
Hornby have now also entered the TT market. And they are offering quite a decent selection of rolling stock.

That's an impressive range as a starting point... a bit disappointing that the later HST power car still has the guard's window, especially seeing as Hornby also owns the old Lima tooling which was correct for later iterations. Perhaps they've just been lazy with their renderings, it is Hornby after all!
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,960
Location
Devon
Hornby have now also entered the TT market. And they are offering quite a decent selection of rolling stock.


This is really quite impressive. Those 50s look great.
 

Peter C

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2018
Messages
4,739
Location
GWR land
Hornby have now also entered the TT market. And they are offering quite a decent selection of rolling stock.

Wow - that is a lot of stock to start off with, isn't it? I know I've said before I'm not the biggest fan of Hornby generally, but I think this could be quite an interesting venture to keep an eye on from the outside. I wonder if it'll be popular with people coming into the hobby - seeing a couple of manufacturers delve into TT gauge is making me wonder whether, if they did this a few years ago when I started, I would have gone for TT rather than OO (for a handful reasons - one of which being N was far too small for less-dextrous (isn't that a fancy word) hands).

-Peter :)
 

reddragon

Established Member
Joined
24 Mar 2016
Messages
3,275
Location
Churn (closed)
I have cancelled all of my Hornby pre-orders now.

One went from £160 - £180 - £240, but it is now available online at £185. The other started at £160, then £190 and is now listed at £260. Both of these are steam and from Accurascale that would get me a DCC sound loco with all the bells & whistle not a basic Hornby DCC ready loco.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
Wow - that is a lot of stock to start off with, isn't it? I know I've said before I'm not the biggest fan of Hornby generally, but I think this could be quite an interesting venture to keep an eye on from the outside. I wonder if it'll be popular with people coming into the hobby - seeing a couple of manufacturers delve into TT gauge is making me wonder whether, if they did this a few years ago when I started, I would have gone for TT rather than OO (for a handful reasons - one of which being N was far too small for less-dextrous (isn't that a fancy word) hands).

-Peter :)
Yeah, if the TT revival had started 2-3 years ago I may well have gone that route upon getting back into the hobby. Like yourself I think I'm a bit clumsy and uncoordinated for N-gauge! The family still has a handful of TT bits from when my dad was a boy.

Hornby are just immensely frustrating as a company. They're the manufacturer that "normies" think of first, which gives them a huge advantage for newcomers... but they're so inconsistent on quality, and make some absolutely baffling decisions at times (Titfieldgate being the obvious example).
 

SCH117X

Established Member
Joined
27 Nov 2015
Messages
2,001
Obviously not learnt anything packaging wise from Lyddle End where stories abound items being returned because it was in a red box that said Hornby but too small.
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,738
Location
West Riding
I would have probably also gone for TT had it been an option when I got back into it during Covid, as I could have done more in my available space. I'm too far down the oo rabbit hole now. With a number of us saying this, has the model rail industry missed a trick, having missed the Covid modelling boom with TT gauge?
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
I would have probably also gone for TT had it been an option when I got back into it during Covid, as I could have done more in my available space. I'm too far down the oo rabbit hole now. With a number of us saying this, has the model rail industry missed a trick, having missed the Covid modelling boom with TT gauge?
To be fair, it's not like they could have got things going with new TT stuff any quicker, and the supply issues that came with Covid would always have hindered that.

The Covid modelling boom has at least grown the market, and allowed new manufacturers to enter the fray such as KR and Accurascale. Like yourself I'm in too deep with OO now, and it's the scale I'm most familiar with from childhood. The space I'd have gained probably isn't enough to have gained all that much anyway. My layout would still have to be very DMU-focused, and no manufacturers have announced any suitable models anyway.
 

TheEdge

Established Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
4,498
Location
Norwich
Hornby are just immensely frustrating as a company. They're the manufacturer that "normies" think of first, which gives them a huge advantage for newcomers... but they're so inconsistent on quality, and make some absolutely baffling decisions at times (Titfieldgate being the obvious example).

They absolutely are. They really could be a force for good and make the hobby appealing to new people, and affordable. But under the guidance of that absolute slimeball Kohler they just seem to be after the money at the absolute detriment of all other things.
 

RichJF

Established Member
Joined
2 Nov 2012
Messages
1,202
Location
South London
They absolutely are. They really could be a force for good and make the hobby appealing to new people, and affordable. But under the guidance of that absolute slimeball Kohler they just seem to be after the money at the absolute detriment of all other things.
The propaganda machine that was "Hornby: A Model World" made me dislike Simon Kohler immensely. Strikes me as a complete amateur who goes after the easiest buck & throws others under the bus.

He bashes on about quality & getting things right, but then careens the company into legal trouble, rushes to get a sub-standard product out before competitors & charges back breaking prices for 1980s Lima mouldings.

While I hope TT scale doesn't, I can't help thinking this is the beginning of the end for Hornby as they ditch their traditional stockists, over-promise & end up delivering poor quality items again in a mad dash to steamroll competition.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
The propaganda machine that was "Hornby: A Model World" made me dislike Simon Kohler immensely. Strikes me as a complete amateur who goes after the easiest buck & throws others under the bus.

He bashes on about quality & getting things right, but then careens the company into legal trouble, rushes to get a sub-standard product out before competitors & charges back breaking prices for 1980s Lima mouldings.

While I hope TT scale doesn't, I can't help thinking this is the beginning of the end for Hornby as they ditch their traditional stockists, over-promise & end up delivering poor quality items again in a mad dash to steamroll competition.
I only own a few Hornby products, and only one locomotive: a 153 which is actually a pretty good model. If it is based on the old Dapol model they have at least refined it to be a bit more up to the standards of modern models. It's the lack of consistency that gets to me though, they started the "Railroad" range for budget modellers but even then they've plenty of stuff in the main range that really isn't up to modern standards and should really be in the Railroad range.

Thinking about it, they've always been a bit iffy over the years. Things like the short mk3s from back in the day show a lack of attention to detail, and took them around 15 years to correct.
 

SCH117X

Established Member
Joined
27 Nov 2015
Messages
2,001
The 153 was a new tooling; their is something not quite right with the cab roofs. Dpaol did not do a 153, they did a 155 which Hornbhy sold for a while. What really annoys me is the near complete lack of spare parts. Compare to Heljan where nominally every bit is available. Surely it cannot be that complicated to have a run of x of a tooling simply packaged on it own and sent to Margate. Little point publishing a service sheet when hardly anything is available that is listed on it as being available, and what of the rest.
 

Peter C

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2018
Messages
4,739
Location
GWR land
Yeah, if the TT revival had started 2-3 years ago I may well have gone that route upon getting back into the hobby. Like yourself I think I'm a bit clumsy and uncoordinated for N-gauge! The family still has a handful of TT bits from when my dad was a boy.
Nice to know I'm not the only one! I wonder if there's going to be a group of people - and then how big that group is - who change from OO to TT now, just to get more stuff in the space available? I expect it probably won't be all that big - I think most people who've got the money to spare and already have OO layouts are probably going to just go for a small TT setup as well, rather than instead of, their current layouts - but might be interesting to keep an eye on social media and see what the 'switchover' rate is! :lol:

Hornby are just immensely frustrating as a company. They're the manufacturer that "normies" think of first, which gives them a huge advantage for newcomers... but they're so inconsistent on quality, and make some absolutely baffling decisions at times (Titfieldgate being the obvious example).
You've hit the nail on the head there - that definitely sums up what I think of Hornby really, and it's just amazing (and really not in a good way) to see how they think they can get away with so much and keep going.

-Peter
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
The 153 was a new tooling; their is something not quite right with the cab roofs. Dpaol did not do a 153, they did a 155 which Hornbhy sold for a while. What really annoys me is the near complete lack of spare parts. Compare to Heljan where nominally every bit is available. Surely it cannot be that complicated to have a run of x of a tooling simply packaged on it own and sent to Margate. Little point publishing a service sheet when hardly anything is available that is listed on it as being available, and what of the rest.
I knew it was at least partially a new tooling, but thought it might be adapted from the old Dapol 155.
Which brings me onto another criticism of Hornby- they've re-sold the old Dapol 155 a few times, including selling it in modern packaging which would suggest it was adapted from their own 153 tooling with modern features such as directional lighting and a DCC socket. However, it's the old poor quality Dapol model with painted lights and no DCC capability.
 

TheEdge

Established Member
Joined
29 Nov 2012
Messages
4,498
Location
Norwich
You've hit the nail on the head there - that definitely sums up what I think of Hornby really, and it's just amazing (and really not in a good way) to see how they think they can get away with so much and keep going.

The thing is they are to British railway modelling what Biro is to the ballpoint pen and Hoover is to the vacuum cleaner. So they can get away with it, a model train is the same as a Hornby train to the average person. So they are the go to.

My hope is people will turn their nose up at those prices and scroll to the next Google result and end up on Hattons, GM or Rails website and see everything else.
 

Peter C

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2018
Messages
4,739
Location
GWR land
The thing is they are to British railway modelling what Biro is to the ballpoint pen and Hoover is to the vacuum cleaner. So they can get away with it, a model train is the same as a Hornby train to the average person. So they are the go to.

My hope is people will turn their nose up at those prices and scroll to the next Google result and end up on Hattons, GM or Rails website and see everything else.
Well this is the thing - though they seem to be able to sell enough of their models at these quite frankly ridiculous prices, so maybe your average person on the Clapham omnibus just looks at the going rate (through Hornby directly) for, say, a Class 50, think "well this must just be how expensive it is, it is very clever how they make it so small and detailed", etc. etc., buys it, and moves on. But I completely agree with you - hopefully they don't look at Hornby directly, and have a look at some of the other sites you've mentioned (or even eBay - some brilliant deals to be had on there if you look around!). :)

-Peter
 

Ted633

Member
Joined
15 Mar 2018
Messages
571
Thinking about it, they've always been a bit iffy over the years. Things like the short mk3s from back in the day show a lack of attention to detail, and took them around 15 years to correct.
Were the short Mk3s a mistake though? I always thought they were made as a compromise so they could go round train set curves (1st radius)
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,373
Location
Yorkshire
Were the short Mk3s a mistake though? I always thought they were made as a compromise so they could go round train set curves (1st radius)
That may well have been the actual motivation behind it, but I've never heard that explanation from an official source. Of course nowadays manufacturers are quite happy to release items with a disclaimer declaring the minimum curve they're suitable for. Back in the 1980s things were a bit different.

Bachmann new product announcements including WYPTE 158 :)
Oh damn, looks like the nieces and nephews will all be getting a lump of coal for Christmas from Uncle 61653 this year... ;) :lol:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top