• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newcastle to York - Including "Then & Now" Shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,845
Location
Nowhere Heath
Great shots at Darlo there, I must say!

Only just watched that video at Darlo tonight, you must have added it after I posted previously. Just waiting for YouTube to load the timing run video currently, it's taking its time!

EDIT: The other video did eventually load, yet more good work there :)
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,146
Location
Redcar
Now that the scenery around Darlington and Durham is starting to look how I would like it to, I can start posting screenshots that will resemble what the finished product may look like, give or take a few tweaks here and there. Every shot shown below does have many differences from the original, those of you who drive it regular may notice them straight away and those familiar to the area might notice some landmarks.

Darlington Area

whiiq1.jpg


2hzis07.jpg


20arjon.jpg


333ljjn.jpg


2lik3r6.jpg


Durham Area

2s0o2oo.jpg


15z2woz.jpg


2hd1y09.jpg
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,146
Location
Redcar
A new "platform end" video featuring a variety of traction at Northallerton.

[youtube]cUV4APvJR64[/youtube]
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,146
Location
Redcar
It is now time to show some shots of a station that I haven't covered previously, Chester-Le-Street. Yet again in the "then & now" format, the first two shots show the route in it's original state with the following three shots featuring some of the modernisation work that is going on. In case anybody does wonder about the masts being on the platform, this is actually how it is in real life.

Chester-Le-Street 1979

2j1vej8.jpg


2dvmudz.jpg


Chester-Le-Street 2009

106x93d.jpg


2mpgz6t.jpg


9iqsgi.jpg
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,146
Location
Redcar
Not a great deal to show of late, this is mainly now down to the fact that the work I am currently doing on the route has no huge benefit when shown in a screenshot with a lot of it being infrastructure based. A lot of time has been put in to time tests as well to make sure that real-life timetables can be replicated as accurately as possible in scenarios. To compensate, here is another video, not spectacular, but later on in the video there are a couple of AI instances that might become part of future scenarios.

[youtube]YN3ztLgtsC4[/youtube]
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,146
Location
Redcar
Time for some more shots, hopefully keeps a bit of interest going because as I have said before, a lot of the current work is fiddly and unrewarding to the eye unless you are interested of screenshots of each signal placed. :D

An on-hire Class 158 (miraculously still in a variation of TPE livery!) pauses at Chester-Le-Street whilst forming a service to Manchester Airport.

1zzopaf.jpg


The "Deltic Protoype" is dragged towards Darlington after leaving the Bishop Auckland branch. It is now heading back to the NRM in York following it's stint at Locomotion in Shildon.

34j2a9j.jpg


A DB Schenker Class 66 awaits the road at Ferryhill South Junction.

29giq6e.jpg


An unidentified AXC HST powers through Thirsk at 125mph.

k2h8vc.jpg


An AXC Voyager crosses Skelton Bridge Junction with a service bound for Penzance.

11bp25d.jpg


Seen at the East Cowton crossovers, an NXEC HST heads north, with the next booked stop being Newcastle.

2lkslll.jpg


And finally, one for RSDerek a member of the RS.com team! A Class 08 heads an unusual "all day" railtour to York, well, Derek said there was no rush! (There is a Class 47 on the back for support)

2n8u075.jpg
 
Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,845
Location
Nowhere Heath
Very nice stuff there!

Like the idea of Derek's there, an 08-hauled working! Would have to be looped every few miles in reality to allow for a million service trains to pass!
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,146
Location
Redcar
Cheers guys.

I have said over the last few days that there wasn't much to show due to most of the work involving infrastructure, signalling etc but I have decided to upload one of my test videos of Darlington. I am not sure how many of you have tried any form of complicated signalling or tried to make a scenario to ensure that it works with the relevant AI, but it can be pretty daunting depending on the size of the area involved. Darlington isn't a bad area but still pretty complicated none the less, here is a video of what happens when a Northern service from Bishop Auckland is running late and cannot get a platform.

In order to notice signal changes etc, it is probably better to watch it in HD

[youtube]GXY6pdAjdS0[/youtube]
 

andylloyd

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2007
Messages
441
Location
Gateshead, Tyne & Wear
crackin video there Darren.
Certainly shows off the differerent aspects of the route with different AI and pathings ;)
Well done, keep the good work up ;)

Regards
Andy
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,845
Location
Nowhere Heath
I know the feeling with complicated signalling and AI patterns from MSTS, no idea how it goes in RS but the basics sound about the same.

Does make it more realistic this way mind!
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,146
Location
Redcar
Finally, I have a station which I can say is finished. Thirsk has been featured in a couple of past screenshots but now I am satisfied that there is nothing more to do there, apart from maybe the odd tweak. Here are some screenshots, the first two are from the original layout with the rest showing the modern version of the station. Who knows, you may prefer it in the old style!

1979

2vxhft3.jpg


4oobd.jpg


2009

aagjf4.jpg


2z9mnnc.jpg


33cly4m.jpg


svjccx.jpg


vqi5oz.jpg
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,146
Location
Redcar
To be honest, I quickly knocked that one up for the shots, I havent got permission to use them in the final product yet.
 

Darandio

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2007
Messages
11,146
Location
Redcar
I have been messing around with signs and billboards again, if only NXEC were kind enough to let things like this be used...........

2cxw2kh.jpg


29njti9.jpg
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top