burns20
Member
Is there a 'Scenic' way to get from Newcastle to North Shields by bus or metro?
Personally I would advise getting on a train to the coast. It's quite beautiful between Cullercoats and Tynemouth.
Tynemouth station is also a real gem. If you have time, I'd advise getting off here and appreciating the station and the town outside. There's also a great chippy on the seafront if I remember rightly!
Yes. If you're going from Central station you can go the long way via the Coast. There's a few good views and nice stations, like Tynemouth, on that route.
I'm not clued up about Metro ticketing though.
thats the best way - althought the ferry is fun
I agree. Its actually advertised in the Press as a "Weekly Flea Market"!the Tynemouth station market which is held every weekend - all sorts of stalls selling second hand stuff, normally find some interesting things. If you want to look at that, try to get there early on (say around 11-12). Normally starts to pack up at around 2pm.
I agree. Its actually advertised in the Press as a "Weekly Flea Market"!
Tynemouth station canopy has one of the most beautifull filligree ironwork anywhere, and a huge wall map of the NE regional railways in glazed tiles (similar to one preserved in the NRM). Even on a tight schedule, a pause there just to admire the building between consecutive trains will make you grateful that you did.
Fleas or no fleas.
If you have an hour or so to spend on a bus, I have taken the Arriva 56 from Newcastle - North Shields via South Gosforth, Killingworth, Shiremoor. Not the best way to get there I guess...Is there a 'Scenic' way to get from Newcastle to North Shields by bus or metro?