• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newcastle to Inverness : Saturday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willie Bee

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2018
Messages
960
Location
Whitley Bay
I'll be booking a single journey for my wife and I soon, from Newcastle to Inverness.

No advance tickets are available yet (January) but hopefully they will be soon.

We like LNER so the 14:45 direct train seems brilliant, getting to Inverness at about 8pm. For about £65 (based on earlier date prices) this is a good deal

Alternative routes arriving in Inverness earlier would be possible, either with one change at Edinburgh, then heading north on a Scotrail service, or via Stirling on 2 separate Scotrail services. Prices are nearly the same. We could happily spend some time in Edinburgh between trains if required.

Which would foilk here recommend ? direct or with changes
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,115
Location
Redcar
Highland Chieftain, the direct service, is always the one I'd take when doing that journey.
 

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
I made the journey on board the LNER service (from Edinburgh to Inverness) a couple of years ago on an Azuma. The train was lightly loaded even out of Edinburgh and by the time we were in the Highlands it was very quiet indeed. Certainly preferable to squeezing onto a shorter ScotRail service.

If I was making the journey again, from a starting point in England I'd certainly use the Chieftain without a doubt.
 

Willie Bee

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2018
Messages
960
Location
Whitley Bay
Thank you for your replies .. yes I think that's what we'll do

My wife will have actually been working night shift the night before we travel, so she could sleep on the train if need be .. just hope she doesn't snore. To be fair though, after 7 nights in 8 days she normally just stays awake all day on the Saturday, as she has 6 nights off and wants to get back to a more normal sleeping pattern. We usually go away on the Sunday, but as Inverness is so far away, the Saturday will be our travel day this time
 

12LDA28C

Established Member
Joined
14 Oct 2022
Messages
5,058
Inverness is a great place for a night out or a weekend away too. It can get pretty rowdy in the town centre on a Saturday night though so depending on where you stay you might need some earplugs if you're intending on having an early night.
 

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
Joined
24 Jul 2020
Messages
1,677
Location
North East Cheshire
I'll be booking a single journey for my wife and I soon, from Newcastle to Inverness.

No advance tickets are available yet (January) but hopefully they will be soon.
Do bear in mind that in January it will be dark for much of the journey on the Chieftain so you will miss out on the scenic run through the Highlands.
 

Willie Bee

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2018
Messages
960
Location
Whitley Bay
Do bear in mind that in January it will be dark for much of the journey on the Chieftain so you will miss out on the scenic run through the Highlands.
Yes, I know this, but we are travelling to Glasgow after Inverness for a couple of nights, so we'll see some of the scenery on our journey south.

I've not booked this journey either, but we'll probably be leaving Inverness some time between 12:00 and 13:00. Sunset in Inverness early January is 15:49, so we should see some of the great views.
 

ScotTrains

Member
Joined
13 Nov 2014
Messages
416
Location
Scotland
Are you looking to go 1st class?
I travelled from Edinburgh to Inverness back in Feb with my wife and 2yr old and I'm sure it only cost us around £50 odd in total. It was a Friday and the train was surprisingly packed in 1st so make sure you have seat reservations. We all got a tasty meal (chicken casserole I think) though it was a little small. Plenty of tea, coffee, wine etc which made the journey fly by.
The Scotrail HST seats are definitely more comfortable but the LNER catering service is far superior.
 

Willie Bee

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2018
Messages
960
Location
Whitley Bay
Are you looking to go 1st class?
I travelled from Edinburgh to Inverness back in Feb with my wife and 2yr old and I'm sure it only cost us around £50 odd in total. It was a Friday and the train was surprisingly packed in 1st so make sure you have seat reservations. We all got a tasty meal (chicken casserole I think) though it was a little small. Plenty of tea, coffee, wine etc which made the journey fly by.
The Scotrail HST seats are definitely more comfortable but the LNER catering service is far superior.
Possibly .. I've actually asked a question about this .. on the LNER First Class thread
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top