• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newbie tips!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekn2020

Member
Joined
22 Sep 2025
Messages
11
Location
london
Hi everyone. I have my assessment for southern soon, can anyone tell me how long you get on each sheet for the bourdon test? I’ve been practising to 30 seconds per page.. thanks!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

KaneLeb

Member
Joined
9 Jul 2025
Messages
60
Location
ECML
Hi Ekn! Firstly, best of luck on your assessment! You'll get 2 minutes per page, and the test will be 10 minutes long - 5 pages total. If southern do the same as other TOC's.
 

ekn2020

Member
Joined
22 Sep 2025
Messages
11
Location
london
Hi Ekn! Firstly, best of luck on your assessment! You'll get 2 minutes per page, and the test will be 10 minutes long - 5 pages total. If southern do the same as other TOC's.
2 minutes sounds more realistic, I’m only getting to line 9 in 30 seconds!! Thank you
 

KaneLeb

Member
Joined
9 Jul 2025
Messages
60
Location
ECML
2 minutes sounds more realistic, I’m only getting to line 9 in 30 seconds!! Thank you
No problem. One massive tip I have read a thousand times on this forum is to first practice on your accuracy and not worry about speed (how many lines you do.) Just focus on making zero mistakes, and do this consistently before trying to add speed into the mix.
 

tackleberry43

Member
Joined
12 Mar 2024
Messages
26
Location
glasgow
I practiced in this site www.metodorf.com the bourdon test on here is good and I found the paper one in the assessment easier than the one on the site. It also does your score and gives you good details on the results
 

Bigfoot

Established Member
Joined
2 Dec 2013
Messages
1,425
2 minutes sounds more realistic, I’m only getting to line 9 in 30 seconds!! Thank you
9 lines in 30 seconds says to me a very low accuracy rate. I don't think I managed many more lines than that in the real test in 2 minutes.
 

Undiscovered

Member
Joined
28 Jan 2013
Messages
554
There's a tool on this forum for Group Bourdon test.
Find it, download it, and print off your test pages. Follow the instructions on the tool. Be honest with both your timing and your marking. your examiners will enforce this strictly.
Speed, consistency and accuracy, per line, per page and across all pages, are equally important.

This is just one part of the assessment process. Treat all with equal respect.
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,579
Please refer to existing threads - such as the ongoing discussion related to Assessment and Medicals pinned at the top of this forum area :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top