• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Newbe Introduction............. Hi :) (wanting to become a train driver)

Status
Not open for further replies.

R.A.M

New Member
Joined
9 Apr 2016
Messages
3
Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Rob and am currently working in an industry which is slowly dying its death. So as a result I have been looking into what could be my next career, and so far becoming a train driver has peaked my interest.

I'm in the very early stages of gathering all the information that I need, so forgive me if you see me asking loads of what may turn out to be silly questions, (I intend on spending a lot of time on here reading as much of the info as possible).

Thanks guys.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

red2005

Member
Joined
9 May 2009
Messages
844
Location
north ish
Hi all,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Rob and am currently working in an industry which is slowly dying its death. So as a result I have been looking into what could be my next career, and so far becoming a train driver has peaked my interest.

I'm in the very early stages of gathering all the information that I need, so forgive me if you see me asking loads of what may turn out to be silly questions, (I intend on spending a lot of time on here reading as much of the info as possible).

Thanks guys.

No such thing as a silly question........and to be fair given the amount of people that have asked questions regarding train driving (myself included) A- the answer you're looking for is already here and B- if there is such a thing as a silly question I'm 99% sure its already been asked on here many times so you won't be alone lol.

Good luck pal :)
 

ComUtoR

Established Member
Joined
13 Dec 2013
Messages
9,562
Location
UK
I'm in the very early stages of gathering all the information that I need, so forgive me if you see me asking loads of what may turn out to be silly questions, (I intend on spending a lot of time on here reading as much of the info as possible).

Thanks guys.

Plenty of threads here. check the top of the page for pretty much every question you have. There are a few long(ish) threads about the various topics.

Becoming a Train Driver
MMI (multi modal interview)
DMI (Driver Managers interview)
Assessment Process
Interview techniques and advice

And may threads pop up for when recruitment notices are posted for the various TOC's (train operatng companies)

Take some time and read up before asking any questions you may have. There are many questions answered already with reams of advice from multiple foumites.
 

R.A.M

New Member
Joined
9 Apr 2016
Messages
3
What trade you in that's dying of death ?

Newspapers, printing side. Little chance of me being able to see it through to retirement.

Thanks for your replies guys. Looking forward to the challenge of seeing this through. Luckily I have the benefit of having a job at the moment that gives me the security while I start this new journey.
 

R.A.M

New Member
Joined
9 Apr 2016
Messages
3
How old are you and why train driving /the most important question they will ask you if you get that stage at all.../

I'm 34, and the main reason I've chosen train driving is because I want a career that I will enjoy waking up to in the morning.

I would also like a career that I can advance in. My aim would be to become an instructor at some point.
 

RBSN

Member
Joined
14 Jul 2014
Messages
383
Newspapers, printing side. Little chance of me being able to see it through to retirement.


I understand exactly what you mean. I'm not newspapers, I'm a pharmaceutical litho printer myself.

The one thing I would stress is that this industry is a world apart compared to ours when it comes to jobs and more importantly the application/interview ratio.

We can generally apply for a job and have an interview in a few weeks, the rail industry (from my experience) is vastly slower.

The key for this industry is;

A) Don't be disheartened by failed applications. You're up again hundreds, if not thousands of applicants for trainee driver roles.

B) Patience.

Good luck!
 

Bromleyhopeful

New Member
Joined
30 Mar 2016
Messages
1
I'm in much the same boat . . . looking for a complete change of career. . . new to this site too . . but it appears to be a wealth of information posted by genuine people who are passionate about their industry and very open and supportive.

We all need that lucky break . . . best wishes
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top