185
On Moderation
- Joined
- 29 Aug 2010
- Messages
- 5,709
Was going to visit New Zealand and had a look at their rail service, "Great Journeys New Zealand" website.
Hidden away amongst the various $9000 to $24600 flashy GJNZ adverts for 14-day luxury experience holidays, like an afterthought is a link to their convoluted ticket booking system that was repeatedly showing sold out for various dates in January. It was only after leaving the site and Googling the train from Auckland to Wellington there was a notice stating the line is shut from mid December to mid January "for track works". Checking with my former colleague who works out there, he reckons it's open. I did try an irrelevant date long after we'll have travelled and it seems the prices have now doubled in recent years.
Over at Wellington and on to the South Island, I thought I'd book a through ticket from Wellington by boat onto the train at Picton to Christchurch... no, can't do that either. They want £120 for the train from Picton to Christchurch, no Interislander boat included.
Finally, I gave up on GJNZ and was looking at the Dunedin Railways train up to Middlemarch. Nope, they're only going to Pukerangi and wanted a few hundred pounds for a minibus for the last eight miles.
We gave up. Hiring a car now. Except in the cities, seems NZ has given up on trains. Shame as I had great memories of many journeys there previously.
Hidden away amongst the various $9000 to $24600 flashy GJNZ adverts for 14-day luxury experience holidays, like an afterthought is a link to their convoluted ticket booking system that was repeatedly showing sold out for various dates in January. It was only after leaving the site and Googling the train from Auckland to Wellington there was a notice stating the line is shut from mid December to mid January "for track works". Checking with my former colleague who works out there, he reckons it's open. I did try an irrelevant date long after we'll have travelled and it seems the prices have now doubled in recent years.
Over at Wellington and on to the South Island, I thought I'd book a through ticket from Wellington by boat onto the train at Picton to Christchurch... no, can't do that either. They want £120 for the train from Picton to Christchurch, no Interislander boat included.
Finally, I gave up on GJNZ and was looking at the Dunedin Railways train up to Middlemarch. Nope, they're only going to Pukerangi and wanted a few hundred pounds for a minibus for the last eight miles.
We gave up. Hiring a car now. Except in the cities, seems NZ has given up on trains. Shame as I had great memories of many journeys there previously.
Last edited: