• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Virgin Super Off-Peak Single (Online) fares?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKB

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2008
Messages
666
A £12.50 Euston-Coventry "Super Off-Peak Single (Online)" fare has appeared when you book on Virgin's website. These look like they're similar to the SVH fares, only cheaper.

I found it by asking for a COV-EUS return, out on 28/3, back 29/3. This fare shows up on the return trains at 22:30 and 23:30.

This could be really useful for me as I often need one of these two trains but can't be sure I'll make the 22:30, so I end up buy two Advances and throwing one away.

My questions are: Is this new? (I've not spotted it before.) And, as it's not listed on brfares.com (yet), what are the time restrictions?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,828
Location
Back office
I understand a TOC can offer these special temporary fares on flows for which they are the lead operator for up to 84 days a year. Virgin Super Off Peak is normally offered for sale around the school holiday periods. I believe that they're the most time restrictive walk up fares in the system - seem to recall the restrictions also apply on Saturdays!
 

All Line Rover

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2011
Messages
5,270
If I remember correctly similar fares were available last year during two weeks in December.
 

johnnycache

Member
Joined
3 Jan 2012
Messages
421
I work for Southern

Chapter 4 of the Ticketing and Settlement Agreement permits two sorts of temporary fare
that can be created by the lead operator of a flow


1) A fare that is valid on all operators' services which can be sold for a maximum of 34 weeks in 52
2) A dedicated or joint fare which can be used for a maximum of 12 weeks in 52

Note "used" rather than "sold" in the second case - so this would preclude selling annual seasons (for example) within the 12 week window
 

MKB

Member
Joined
15 Oct 2008
Messages
666
I understand a TOC can offer these special temporary fares on flows for which they are the lead operator for up to 84 days a year. Virgin Super Off Peak is normally offered for sale around the school holiday periods. I believe that they're the most time restrictive walk up fares in the system - seem to recall the restrictions also apply on Saturdays!

But what are the time restrictions? How does one find out if the fare is not listed on brfares.com nor nationalrail.co.uk?
 

tannedfrog

Member
Joined
26 Jun 2010
Messages
537
The guard probably won't know either so it makes sense just to assume the same restrictions as the normal-priced Super Off Peak Single.

The same with the East Coast 50% discounted one.
 

barrykas

Established Member
Joined
19 Sep 2006
Messages
1,579
The guard probably won't know either so it makes sense just to assume the same restrictions as the normal-priced Super Off Peak Single.

Except Virgin don't have Super Off-Peak tickets, as a rule...Virgin have probably produced a briefing for their staff detailing the restrictions, but there appears to be no public information about it.
 

radamfi

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2009
Messages
9,267
Except Virgin don't have Super Off-Peak tickets, as a rule...Virgin have probably produced a briefing for their staff detailing the restrictions, but there appears to be no public information about it.

No public information about restriction = same validity as Anytime?
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,828
Location
Back office
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top