• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Trainsplit, no option for paper tickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainophile

Established Member
Joined
28 Oct 2010
Messages
6,980
Location
Wherever I lay my hat
Don't know if I'm missing something obvious, but having been steered towards the new version of Trainsplit due to the imminent demise of the Classic version, I can't find a way to request paper tickets where e-tickets exist and are the default option. I know e-tickets are the way forward but some of us want to retain the old style as long as possible. I don't have a printer and don't like messing about with my phone at gatelines when I have luggage to juggle. I'm sure I'm not alone, and I don't even carry the ubiquitous flimsy coffee cups like a lot of people!

Just had to buy a ticket on the West Midlands website to get a paper one. Would rather support Trainsplit but not if I'm forced to use e-tickets. I don't mind in certain circumstances but not for every journey.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
Joined
13 Oct 2019
Messages
2,255
Location
Liverpool
Its still possible to get a paper ticket, as I used it a couple of days ago and initially I was offered 'only' an e-ticket.
 

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
3,399
Location
Bedford
1684788148655.png
It's still possible to get paper tickets should you prefer. Click 'Other options' (bottom right of the above screenshot, shows RailUK Tickets which supports the forum but the option is in the same place on trainsplit.com) and you'll see the 'Ticket on Departure' option appear.
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
Glad there is still an option as advanced eTickets come with more restrictions than advanced paper tickets. This is the case when using services that are not usually reservable.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,281
Glad there is still an option as advanced eTickets come with more restrictions than advanced paper tickets. This is the case when using services that are not usually reservable.
Interesting. Could you expand upon what the issue/problem is, in such circumstances?
 

danm14

Member
Joined
24 Jun 2017
Messages
757
Interesting. Could you expand upon what the issue/problem is, in such circumstances?
For Advance tickets, non-reservable services are not listed on paper tickets, but are listed on eTickets.

For example, the same through Advance from London to Birkenhead (Avanti to Liverpool, Merseyrail to Birkenhead) would list only the train from London to Liverpool if issued on a paper ticket, but both the trains from London to Liverpool and Liverpool to Birkenhead if issued as an e-ticket.

Therefore, if you have a paper ticket, you can take an earlier connecting service without any hassle as long as you aren't travelling unreasonably early enough to arouse suspicion, but with an e-ticket you cannot.
 

Gaelan

Member
Joined
3 Apr 2023
Messages
1,008
Location
Edinburgh
For Advance tickets, non-reservable services are not listed on paper tickets, but are listed on eTickets.

Therefore, if you have a paper ticket, you can take an earlier connecting service without any hassle as long as you aren't travelling unreasonably early enough to arouse suspicion, but with an e-ticket you cannot.
(Although non-reservable legs aren’t encoded on the barcode, and it’s something of an open question whether the advance restriction would ever actually be enforced on such a service.)
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,428
Location
Yorkshire
Interesting. Could you expand upon what the issue/problem is, in such circumstances?
It's just @infobleep's opinion; nothing more. It's been debated before and isn't relevant to this thread, so I'll leave it there.

I will take the opportunity to reiterate that people should book an itinerary they are comfortable with when they purchase their tickets; the forum's site allows additional interchange time, so there is no reason to accept a sub-optimal itinerary. If anyone has any specific query, please create a new thread with the journey details.
 

Joe Paxton

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2017
Messages
2,959
It's just @infobleep's opinion; nothing more. It's been debated before and isn't relevant to this thread, so I'll leave it there.

I will take the opportunity to reiterate that people should book an itinerary they are comfortable with when they purchase their tickets; the forum's site allows additional interchange time, so there is no reason to accept a sub-optimal itinerary. If anyone has any specific query, please create a new thread with the journey details.

I'd say it is kinda relevant to this thread.

Re itineraries - sometimes it's not additional interchange time that's desired, rather the opposite! Of course no accredited booking system is going to provide an itinerary that doesn't meet the minimum interchange times, but a fleet of foot passenger in a can often beat them.
 
Last edited:

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
It's just @infobleep's opinion; nothing more. It's been debated before and isn't relevant to this thread, so I'll leave it there.

I will take the opportunity to reiterate that people should book an itinerary they are comfortable with when they purchase their tickets; the forum's site allows additional interchange time, so there is no reason to accept a sub-optimal itinerary. If anyone has any specific query, please create a new thread with the journey details.
It is also the opinion of others on here, which is only reason why I mentioned it. My view had been it's not relevant but others are knowledgeable than me thought differently.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,428
Location
Yorkshire
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top