• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Scammers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
[SCAMMER ALERT- PROCEED WITH EXTREME CAUTION]

Are these guys genuine? Noting the clause in their T&Cs,

T&C 14 said:
Unless otherwise required by a mandatory law of a member state of the European Union or any other jurisdiction, these Agreements are subject to the laws of Panama without regard to choice or conflicts of law principles. Further, you and HCD agree to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of Panama to resolve any dispute, claim or controversy that arises in connection with these Agreements.

I am not sure I want to get involved. They don't half mess around with payments either. You don't even know how much you are authorising them to charge you! No doubt one will be enrolled on the "premium membership" and the membership package will be impossible to cancel?

They have plastered this "deal" all over facebook so I wonder how many people will get tricked into it. :roll:

Well, the deal is just too good to be true, isn't it?
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
Looks like you will be rebilled at 29.90 every month if you do not cancel the 'trial' within 72 hours.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
OK, so curiosity got the better of me and I signed up.

The email address you enter when you first visit the site becomes your account email address, so make sure it's real. After you enter your card details, you get a page that says something like this:

My Receipt

Your payment is successful, your account details and purchase confirmation email have been sent to: foo@example.com
Transaction ID: REDACTED
Receipt Date: 14/11/2013
Order type: Welcome offer
Billed to: xxxxxxxxx1234 (Last 4 digits of your credit card number here)
Your Account Details
Login: foo@example.com
Password: REDACTED

Item Unit price
£4.00 instead of £29.00 for Credit on your Oyster card £4.00
Please retain for your records
Please See Terms and Conditions Pertaining To This Order.

Total
Includes applicable taxes £4.00

My Offer


£4.00 instead of £29.00 for Credit on your Oyster card

Oyster is the cheapest way to pay for single journeys on bus,Tube,tram,DLR and National Rail services in London.
Oyster cards are reusable by just adding credit
Flat fare on bus and tram travel
Flash Deal - this price includes 87% discount, you save £25
How to redeem my cashback offer?
1 Buy the products before: Visit your preferred retail shop and purchase the product or service corresponding to this offer before 14/12/2013 14:20:08
2 Keep your receipt: When you purchase your product or service scan your receipt
3 Get your cashback: Send us your purchase receipt and your Paypal account details by email to cashback@hotcrazydeal.com

Also, there is nowhere in the My Account section to cancel your rebilling free trial (surprise surprise!) I have sent an email requesting to cancel the trial and not be billed the 29,90. Will report back
 
Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Interesting. If it is a cashback offer rather than actual Oyster credits, I wonder how long it takes for the amount to become payable, and whether you will still be eligible for it once you have cancelled.
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
Well the deal ends in 3 hours, so if you want to join me in my gambling, act quick!*

* Totally at your own risk of course
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Really? It had 1 hour 40 minutes left when I first posted it.

VERY ODD. Something doesn't add up.
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
DO NOT DO ANYTHING WITH THIS WEBSITE BUT REPORT IT TO TFL OR WHOEVER

now I apologise for the caps btu this has scam all over. For a starters just why would you want to pay a members fee?And why would they base their whole website and payment department in Indonesia if they are based in Panama?

Everything screams scam to me and the chances of you being able to cancel or get a refund would be between slim and none in my eyes. I just dont like the look of it whatsoever.

Ipod nano's for a quid anyone? Yeah right.


Registration Service Provided By: LAUNCHPAD.COM, INC.

Domain Name: HOTCRAZYDEAL.COM

Registration Date: 03-Jul-2012
Expiration Date: 03-Jul-2014

Status:LOCKED
Note: This Domain Name is currently Locked.
This feature is provided to protect against fraudulent acquisition of the domain name,

as in this status the domain name cannot be transferred or modified.

Name Servers:
ns1623.hostgator.com
ns1624.hostgator.com

Registrant Contact Details:
Website
Bonisi Bonisi ()
123 Jalan Smata
Jakarta
Indonesia,67324
ID
Tel. +62.98765643

Administrative Contact Details:
Website
Bonisi Bonisi ()
123 Jalan Smata
Jakarta
Indonesia,67324
ID
Tel. +62.98765643

Technical Contact Details:
Website
Bonisi Bonisi ()
123 Jalan Smata
Jakarta
Indonesia,67324
ID
Tel. +62.98765643

Billing Contact Details:
Website
Bonisi Bonisi ()
123 Jalan Smata
Jakarta
Indonesia,67324
ID
Tel. +62.98765643

And claiming the cashback sounds stupid too

4.4 Receiving your Cash Back Refund

To submit a claim to redeem a cashback offer premium members need to:

1.1. Make a qualifying purchase on www.hotcrazydeal.com

2.2. Purchase the item corresponding to the HCD qualifying purchase at any retailer in United Kingdom within 30 days of purchasing the offer on www.hotcrazydeal.com, the cash back offer is only valid for existing registered members; claims for products purchased which will be resold or rented to a third party are ineligible for this offer.

3.To take advantage of the cash back offer premium member must send a scanned copy of the purchase receipt and a valid PayPal account detail via email to cashback@hotcrazydeal.com

4.A full and valid claim must be submitted within 30 days from the date of purchase on www.hotcrazydeal.com. If claims are submitted after, the claim window they will be deemed invalid.

5.Once the claim has been received, the participant will receive a receipt acknowledgement of the claim by email stating whether or not the claim for cash back has been successful. It is the claimant's responsibility to contact the agent using the email address above within seven days of their claim being sent if an email acknowledgement has not been received.

6.Provided that the terms and conditions of this cash back offer have been met, a refund for the corresponding amount will be paid back to the member directly onto his PayPal account. Typically payments are made within 30 days. The cash back will only be paid upon completion by the Premium member of these terms and conditions. Return of a qualifying purchase to the retailer following submission of the claim for a cash back will disentitle the Premium member to the cash back.

7.Cash backs are paid out based on the HCD offer cash back value or the price paid to the retailer for the qualifying purchase whichever is lower, including VAT

So even though it states you dont have to be a premium member in the normal blurb - you HAVE to be one to claim the cashback or else you get nowt.

Avoid!
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
Mate that just screams scam at you. If something seems too good to be true it almost always is.

Oh, and lots of people will get tricked in to it.
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
My card has about 35 GBP of pending transactions. It looks like they may have helped themselves to the monthly fee before the free trial is even over!
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
I'm sure when I first clicked it was offering i-phones for a couple of quid saying they were normally about £50. Sorry but an i-Phone without a contract is over £500. Avoid.
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
My card has about 35 GBP of pending transactions. It looks like they may have helped themselves to the monthly fee before the free trial is even over!

If your bank has a 24 hour hotline then ring them now.
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
Its a prepaid card, and I've just run down the remaining balance on other stuff so its game over for them
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,192
Location
0035
What happens if you call them on their free phone number listed?
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
Still though you must be able to get it back.

I'm guessing they haven't got anything yet. Might be an idea to contact the card issuer before topping it up again. Not sure how that works, have travelled a lot with pre paid cards, luckily never got scammed.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
With all due respect to the person who posted it it may be an idea to remove the link or even the thread before someone sees an offer too good to be true.
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
Well everyone knew it was fishy. I even said so myself, and thats why I used a prepaid card that I was planning to bin anyway. I just can't help my curiosity, especially since the last site like this I gambled with actually paid up eventually!
 

fowler9

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2013
Messages
8,380
Location
Liverpool
Well everyone knew it was fishy. I even said so myself, and thats why I used a prepaid card that I was planning to bin anyway. I just can't help my curiosity, especially since the last site like this I gambled with actually paid up eventually!

Ha ha. I didn't mean you in my comment by the way, a pre paid card is probably a good way to check it out and see what happens if you are binning it off. I'd still suggest loosing the link off the thread though because some people are really daft.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465

Aye. I did see the MSE thread, but they didn't seem too sure themselves.

Mate that just screams scam at you. If something seems too good to be true it almost always is.

Oh, and lots of people will get tricked in to it.

Don't worry. I don't get scammed. I am too sceptical for that. That's why I posted it up for discussion. ;)

Ha ha. I didn't mean you in my comment by the way, a pre paid card is probably a good way to check it out and see what happens if you are binning it off. I'd still suggest loosing the link off the thread though because some people are really daft.

Well, removing the link and the whole thread will be meaningless, but I agree that it may be better to make it more obvious that it is not trustworthy so I have added a caution message.
 

richw

Veteran Member
Joined
10 Jun 2010
Messages
11,528
Location
Liskeard
that is really quite obviously a scam. It is based in Panama for goodness sake!

Makes a change from Nigeria.
Doing a bit of digging the site is based in Indonesia and not Panama as well! There are a fair few spelling and grammar errors through the site as well which is apparently a give away as well!
 

deltic1989

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2010
Messages
1,483
Location
Nottingham
There are also hotmail e-mail adresses used as the contact points, which seems a little bit fishy to me. Surely a reputable company would have their own domain for emails.
 

deltic1989

Established Member
Joined
21 Sep 2010
Messages
1,483
Location
Nottingham
They do have their own domain, namely the one that the website is on. Why they can't use that for email addresses is highly odd.

Yes that's what I meant. Not too savvy in this area of computing.
I agree it is odd that they haven't used their domain for e-mails, preferring to use 'disposable' hotmail accounts. Doesn't strike me as being too professional, most businesses I have dealt with via e-mail use their own domain as the address and I am usually highly suspicious of businesses with free email addresses, unless I know the business from prior experience.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,192
Location
0035
Just seen an ad. for this Oyster card 'deal' in the side bar on Facebook.
 

jon0844

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Feb 2009
Messages
30,937
Location
UK
Facebook is now full of really dodgy ads, so I assume FB doesn't care as long as they're paid.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top