• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ploughman

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
3,104
Location
Near where the 3 ridings meet
When I visit the site I go straight to New Posts and in general I tend to find the Oldest unread post first generally around 7 pages back.

The query I have is this:-
If I wish to make any comment on any thread, when I have finished and want to go back to where I was at the time I have to click the page numbers back individually or 2 -3 at a time. Is there no way I can return direct to where I left off?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
If you mean what I think you do, middle click the posts you wish to read (or Ctrl and Left click) which opens the thread in a new tab. Fantastic til you realise you've opened a dozen threads to plough through :P
 

Zoidberg

Established Member
Joined
27 Aug 2010
Messages
1,270
Location
West Midlands
When I visit the site I go straight to New Posts and in general I tend to find the Oldest unread post first generally around 7 pages back.

The query I have is this:-
If I wish to make any comment on any thread, when I have finished and want to go back to where I was at the time I have to click the page numbers back individually or 2 -3 at a time. Is there no way I can return direct to where I left off?

Just click the 'first unread' icon on the thread in which you are interested.

It's the down arrow thingy to the left of the thread title.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
The unread posts should go back no more than 7 days, and anything older than that are automatically excluded whether you have actually read them or not. Once you have posted in a thread, there is no way to go back to where you were reading earlier unfortunately.

You could repeatedly click "Back" from your browser to get back to the page you were reading.

Alternatively what I do is that I click the "Multi-Quote" icon to flag every post I would like to respond to in a thread, and reply to them all at the end by clicking "Post Reply". The flags will remain set, until either responded to or deselected/deflagged, even if you have to click to get onto the next page. The "Multi-Quote" icon is next to the "Quote" icon in the bottom right-hand corner of every post if you are using the default style.
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
The unread posts should go back no more than 7 days, and anything older than that are automatically excluded whether you have actually read them or not.

Isn't it ten days? Certainly is for me...
 

Condor7

Member
Joined
13 Jul 2012
Messages
1,083
Location
Penrith
I am glad you asked this question Ploughman, as I had thought about it myself.

Like you I always click 'New Posts' especially as I tend to come on this forum at least once a day, but like now once I have finished typing this and pressed 'submit' I have to keep pressing the back button until I get back to the 'New Posts' page which if you have read several pages of a post takes several clicks. Not the end of the world, but I agree a button to take you back to where you last where in 'New Posts' would be good.
 

Ploughman

Established Member
Joined
15 Jan 2010
Messages
3,104
Location
Near where the 3 ridings meet
Thanks for the replies.
I should have emphasised that I visit daily and that as stated I tend to go back to about 7 pages were I tend to find the New threads start.
I do not ever go back over 7 days that would be too much to plough through. 2 days would be my limit.
As it stands this reply comes in on New posts page 5 currently for me.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Isn't it ten days? Certainly is for me...

Is it ten days? Oh well, the bottom line is that there is some sort of cut-off point. I don't use it often so I could be wrong.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top