• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New pod-style couchette design previewed in Austria

Status
Not open for further replies.

itfcfan

Member
Joined
7 May 2011
Messages
347
Some interesting photos from OBB showing prototypes of a new couchette design...
https://www.facebook.com/unsereOEBB/posts/1209259465770148
http://www.drehscheibe-online.de/foren/read.php?31,7707939

This pod-style design looks interesting. With the upcoming closure of CNL services, it's good that at least one European operator is still looking forward with night services.

Apparently, DB commissioned this research but OBB are the company looking to bring it to reality. The second link (in German) appears to suggest they may enter service from 2017-18.

When sleepers are considered, part of the problem making them financially viable is they may only make one journey per 24-hour period. In countries where long distance routes necessitate sleepers (China, Russia, India, etc), these sleepers are routinely used by passengers on day time segments (i.e. when a journey takes 24 hours, some city to city stops on the journey will take place during daylight hours).

If low-maintenance pod-style couchettes could be created, running as a coach in a daytime Intercity during the day, while being re-formed into a group of couchette coaches for the night time journey it may improve financial viability. Having use of a bed for a daytime London-Glasgow/Edinburgh or even London-Manchester is something I think many people would appreciate (and may attract a premium fare over 1st class).
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

317666

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2009
Messages
1,775
Location
East Anglia
I really like the look of this, couchettes are a popular choice on European sleepers by offering a bed for not too much more than seated accommodation. Adding more privacy to them like this should make them an even more popular choice. I doubt they would work so well on daytime trains here, apart from on early morning/late night services - and even then that's when they would be finishing/starting sleeper journeys!

I agree that it's great ÖBB are pushing forward with sleeper services, the Cologne to Vienna sleeper is excellent and definitely my preferred way of reaching Austria.
 

TCDD

Member
Joined
11 Oct 2011
Messages
102
Location
Staines
I think this is fantastic, and ideal for single travellers. I'd echo the comments on the linked site about luggage space - there doesn't seem to be very much of it. However, overall I like the concept very much.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,652
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Looks quite good but not very space-efficient? Can you get more in with the old Talgo-style longitudinal "Kajueteliegen"? I vastly prefer these as the cornering forces don't send blood to your head then your feet. Indeed, an old DB Talgo Kajueteliegewagen was the only place I've ever had a genuinely good night's sleep on a train.

I think privacy for a single passenger is one of the biggest "put-offs" of night trains, yet a compartment each is space-inefficient and expensive. Shame the Caledonian Sleeper didn't look at something like this as the middle class instead of the airline style flatbeds (even though I do like the concept of those).
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top