• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Oyster refund button at London Overground TVM's

Status
Not open for further replies.

bicbasher

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2010
Messages
1,839
Location
London
I noticed tonight when topping up my Oyster at Forest Hill that there is a new 'Refund' button on the same screen which shows the PAYG balance and tickets on your Oyster card.

I wonder if this is to bring LO in line with LU's POM's and conveniently enables the LU managed Bakerloo DC stations (and Gunnersbury/Kew Gardens) to offer what is expected to happen when the ticket office closures are in place.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dlj83

Member
Joined
11 Mar 2012
Messages
168
I noticed tonight when topping up my Oyster at Forest Hill that there is a new 'Refund' button on the same screen which shows the PAYG balance and tickets on your Oyster card.

I wonder if this is to bring LO in line with LU's POM's and conveniently enables the LU managed Bakerloo DC stations (and Gunnersbury/Kew Gardens) to offer what is expected to happen when the ticket office closures are in place.


How would the refund work? Would money be refunded immediately and the card deactivated or would a cheque be sent to the registered address.
 

PermitToTravel

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2011
Messages
3,042
Location
Groningen
How would the refund work? Would money be refunded immediately and the card deactivated or would a cheque be sent to the registered address.

I know absolutely nothing about this feature, but would take a guess that it only refunds PAYG credit, not card deposits, as there is no mechanism for the machine to swallow up an Oyster card
 

causton

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
5,504
Location
Somewhere between WY372 and MV7
Maybe it will permanently deactivate the card somehow and then, knowing that card could not be used again, give the full deposit refund as well and hope the user places it somewhere for collection, i.e. a bin next to/attached to the ticket machine? Just a guess, if not, an idea if TfL are watching? ;)
 

bicbasher

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2010
Messages
1,839
Location
London
I didn't attempt to see what would happen if I pressed the refund button, but I expect it'll refund the same amount as registered Oyster Online customers can do via the website, while deposit refunds would still need a visit to a LU station.
 

causton

Established Member
Joined
4 Aug 2010
Messages
5,504
Location
Somewhere between WY372 and MV7
I didn't attempt to see what would happen if I pressed the refund button, but I expect it'll refund the same amount as registered Oyster Online customers can do via the website, while deposit refunds would still need a visit to a LU station.

Didn't realise you could get a refund online - as I use paper travelcards normally (£12 min fare on a Y-P helps ;) ) I don't use Oyster Online that much! I guess that is what would happen, especially thinking about it now you need someone to check ID etc to refund the Oyster card... makes me wonder how people will still do it!
 

hassaanhc

Established Member
Joined
5 Jan 2014
Messages
2,225
Location
Southall
I didn't attempt to see what would happen if I pressed the refund button, but I expect it'll refund the same amount as registered Oyster Online customers can do via the website, while deposit refunds would still need a visit to a LU station.

I've found myself with three incomplete journeys recently and none of them could be refunded from the website. First was refunded at North Greenwich, no questions asked. For the other two the employee at Canning Town said there was no option being displayed to refund and I'd need to phone the number. With one of those I automatically received an email that said I have a refund due because of an error, while the remaining one still remains and is linked to that actually :( (yes I still need to phone).
 

bicbasher

Established Member
Joined
14 May 2010
Messages
1,839
Location
London
I tried the refund button on the TVM today and it's currently not in operation.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top