• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Manchester Picc Departure Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

BurtonM

Member
Joined
3 Feb 2014
Messages
982
Location
Manchester
I concur, and as I've lamented before, there is space but for reasons unknown it's only really used for A-Z or advertising :roll:
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LLivery

Established Member
Joined
13 Jul 2014
Messages
1,717
Location
Southeastern land
The blue and white ones. I quite like those new ones, though I would use a different layout.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I mean the brand new ones, not the blue and white. I like them, just would also use a slightly different layout. The new Sydney style works quite well.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Something something northern England?

I jest. There's nothing wrong with the orange LED boards, they just need to actually install the right ones in the right places.
I'll never understand why Piccadilly hasn't had a proper departure board since refurbishment - does it slightly predate them or something?

I quite like the old CRT monitors, there's something oddly welcoming about them, especially ones where the text is very low-res like Teletext. :oops:

I agree there is nothing wrong with the current ones. Just don't understand why they aren't being replaced with the new boards outside the TL core and the odd ScotRail. I was half expecting them at the new London Bridge through platforms.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The new TL core screens are okay but it seems silly that it was designed to show key information at a glance, but then uses a very slow scrolling message to say how many coaches and if there's first class.

Surely one line can show icons, or better yet the carriages (like Virgin has done with more limited technology) which will show where first class is, how long the train is and - potentially - where you are when reading that individual screen.

Agreed, this could defiantly be done better.
 

boyaloud

Member
Joined
20 Mar 2013
Messages
289
Have they got a large clock you can meet under/at yet?

Anyone else think the lovely large presumably Victorian clock downstairs at Picc near Metrolink should be moved onto the main concourse? I've always HATED the tiny clock hidden in amongst the billboards, and tiny ones on train display boards. The Victorians had it right with huge clocks!
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,317
Location
Bolton
I really don't see what the problem is. Every platform has the full list of departures on two screens, in addition to the fastest train to board. The summary of departures next to the new fastest train to board is the longest one on the station, you can see almost an hour ahead.
 

Thomas6187

Member
Joined
27 May 2011
Messages
444
Location
Rochdale
The second set of new departure monitors have been put up overnight. This just leaves the old set facing the main entrance
 

Signal Head

Member
Joined
26 May 2013
Messages
465
Personally I don't understand why a traditional departure board can't be installed above the gateline instead of advertising (as is customary?)...

I agree, this should have been done as part of the gateline work so you can see information without having to pass through the gates, as is common elsewhere, at MP it's arguably more necessary, to help you to decide whether the platform you need is inside the gateline or not.

I'm guessing the reason this wasn't done is purely financial.

Now, if I need to make a decision, I usually walk just past the staff on the ungated platforms a couple of feet so I can read the display, once they realise what you're trying to do they generally don't interfere.
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,317
Location
Bolton
I'm quite pleased - the new boards are easier to read, contain more information and there's a 50% increase in the area where people can stand to read the boards now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top