• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Isle of Wight upgrade book

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardlong

Member
Joined
25 Nov 2020
Messages
19
Location
London
I’m very pleased to say I have a new book coming out this summer: ‘All Change at Ryde: Upgrading the Isle of Wight’s Railway’. It covers the story from the final months in service of the 1938 Stock through to the introduction of the Vivarail Class 484s, and much more besides - including what happened to the 1938 Stock after withdrawal. Includes behind-the-scenes photos.

Available to pre-order now from these sellers: https://linktr.ee/allchangeatryde
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8892.jpeg
    IMG_8892.jpeg
    214.1 KB · Views: 20
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,028
Location
Up the creek
I’m very pleased to say I have a new book coming out this summer: ‘All Change at Ryde: Upgrading the Isle of Wight’s Railway’. It covers the story from the final months in service of the 1938 Stock through to the introduction of the Vivarail Class 484s, and much more besides - including what happened to the 1938 Stock after withdrawal. Includes behind-the-scenes photos.

Available to pre-order now from these sellers: https://linktr.ee/allchangeatryde

How many volumes do you expect it to run to?
 

richardlong

Member
Joined
25 Nov 2020
Messages
19
Location
London
Just a quick update to say the publishers have now switched the title and subtitle, so the main title is now ‘Upgrading the Isle of Wight’s Railway’.

The ISBN remains the same, so if you’ve preordered under the old title you don’t need to do anything.

 

Attachments

  • jacket.jpeg
    jacket.jpeg
    296.6 KB · Views: 11

richardlong

Member
Joined
25 Nov 2020
Messages
19
Location
London
Just a heads up: If you preorder ‘Upgrading the Isle of Wight’s Railway’ from the Pen and Sword Books website this Bank Holiday weekend you can save 30% off the RRP if you use the code BHMAY24.


Offer is valid until 28/05/24.
 

richardlong

Member
Joined
25 Nov 2020
Messages
19
Location
London
Happy to say this book has finally been published. Available now from Pen & Sword (currently at 25% off!) and should be available shortly from all the regular suppliers.


IMG_0127.jpegIMG_0130.jpegIMG_0131.jpeg
 

Ralph Ayres

Member
Joined
2 May 2012
Messages
261
Location
West London
I'm guessing you thought the story was approaching a natural break when you submitted the final text so the ongoing fiasco must be frustrating! Maybe a second edition in a couple of years assuming the line update reaches some sort of conclusion? The way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually results in procurement of different stock or even the closure of the line.
 

richardlong

Member
Joined
25 Nov 2020
Messages
19
Location
London
I'm guessing you thought the story was approaching a natural break when you submitted the final text so the ongoing fiasco must be frustrating! Maybe a second edition in a couple of years assuming the line update reaches some sort of conclusion? The way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually results in procurement of different stock or even the closure of the line.

I don’t think closure is on the cards (especially after so much money has already been spent) and I suspect the stock won’t be replaced any time soon (hopefully the recent problems with excessive wheel wear can be sorted) but, yes, I did think it was reaching a natural conclusion last summer and clearly that isn’t how things have played out since…
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top