• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New conductor positions ATW next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetStream

Member
Joined
27 Oct 2016
Messages
163
Congratulations! Now forget about it! :lol:

I'd be amazed if you heard anything before October when the new franchise kicks in, so it'll probably be January or so - I know it sounds mean to say this, but you will go crazy waiting!

You've done the hardest part now, so celebrate, and know you've done amazingly well. Be proud of yourselves!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LRV3004

Member
Joined
17 Mar 2015
Messages
625
That's fab...well done! I'm in the talent pool for Valleys lines...fingers crossed we're not waiting too long.
Thanks Lynette Hill! I'm in the queue for Crewe so I'm not likely to bump into you unfortunately! Well done on making the talent pool! :)
 

LRV3004

Member
Joined
17 Mar 2015
Messages
625
Congratulations! Now forget about it! :lol:

I'd be amazed if you heard anything before October when the new franchise kicks in, so it'll probably be January or so - I know it sounds mean to say this, but you will go crazy waiting!

You've done the hardest part now, so celebrate, and know you've done amazingly well. Be proud of yourselves!
Cheers JetStream! :) I've been trying for ages to get on so to make the talent pool is fantastic news! I'm not expecting to hear anything before the franchise changes, but hopefully something will come up within two years! :)
 

Spikeylado

Member
Joined
16 Feb 2016
Messages
90
I disagree, as the training manager i spoke to last month stated that was going to be two courses run this year very soon!
 

Lynette Hill

Member
Joined
9 Jan 2018
Messages
48
Location
Wales
There's a Cardiff course in March then Crewe in June and hopefully another Cardiff course in August/September. Thats what I was told. But I wouldn't be surprises if the 2nd Cardiff one was postponed due to the new franchise.
 

LRV3004

Member
Joined
17 Mar 2015
Messages
625
They won't run a course just for Hollyhead it wouldn't make any sense. There is a min requirement numbers wise to run a course.
Sorry, what I meant to say was when I had my assessment, Holyhead was the only depot with immediate vacancies, and they were looking to start those on the March course. Obviously there would be other depots on that course as well! :)
 

LRV3004

Member
Joined
17 Mar 2015
Messages
625
There's a Cardiff course in March then Crewe in June and hopefully another Cardiff course in August/September. Thats what I was told. But I wouldn't be surprises if the 2nd Cardiff one was postponed due to the new franchise.
Hopefully I might start on the June course then! If not, I'm hoping it will be when the new franchise starts; I'm on holiday in September!!!
 

JetStream

Member
Joined
27 Oct 2016
Messages
163
There's a Chester one in June apparently, to have enough guards for the re-opened Halton Curve to Liverpool, so I guess the Cardiff one will have Holyhead guards too.
 

LRV3004

Member
Joined
17 Mar 2015
Messages
625
There's a Chester one in June apparently, to have enough guards for the re-opened Halton Curve to Liverpool, so I guess the Cardiff one will have Holyhead guards too.
What services will be running to Liverpool then? Am assuming those from the North Wales Coast?
 

LS.CYMRU

Member
Joined
16 Nov 2016
Messages
78
Hello everyone.
Been in sunny Florida for 3 weeks so missed all the news.
Congratulations @LRV3004 !
I hope we all get onto a course this year.

I'll probably speak to HR in april for an update
 

LS.CYMRU

Member
Joined
16 Nov 2016
Messages
78
There's a Cardiff course in March then Crewe in June and hopefully another Cardiff course in August/September. Thats what I was told. But I wouldn't be surprises if the 2nd Cardiff one was postponed due to the new franchise.

This is really positive.
Does anyone know how many people are usually on a course?

Cheers

Lewis
 

TeaTrain

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2014
Messages
449
It depends on a few factors for how many people are on a course. My course was a few years back and there was about 12 of us. As for Holyhead, there are a few unusual things that guards have to do that isn't necessary anywhere else (compared to Chester, Crewe, Llandudno. I may be wrong though or things may of changed since then) which means a little extra learning. This is mostly for the WAG as its the guards duty to get down on the track and complete checks, Open and close each and every door on both sides, sign the form, hand it to the driver and then do break test together. Anyone going for HH will get to grips with this and wont sign it off until your confident working the train. If Dave is still there you will have a cracking trainer who knows his stuff. They are very strict on this as the door got ripped off in Bangor tunnel so they take it very seriously.

Good luck to everyone who got on the talent pool and courses. ATW really is good bunch. I wish I could get back with them!
 

LRV3004

Member
Joined
17 Mar 2015
Messages
625
Hello everyone.
Been in sunny Florida for 3 weeks so missed all the news.
Congratulations @LRV3004 !
I hope we all get onto a course this year.

I'll probably speak to HR in april for an update
Thanks LS.CYMRU! Have been told I'm second in the queue in the talent pool! However I don't envisage starting in the summer as my ex booked a surprise holiday to Tenerife in August for her, myself and our son as it will be his first holiday abroad! E-mailed ATW and they were really nice about it and even hoped we had a nice holiday which I thought was really lovely of them! I'm not expecting to start before the new franchise kicks in now so I'll just have to keep waiting! :)
 

LS.CYMRU

Member
Joined
16 Nov 2016
Messages
78
Morning all,
Curious to see if anyone has spoken to ATW recently?
I spoke to them today and they confirmed they're running a course in June and that they may be including a few people from the Cardiff talent pool.
I'm 6th in line so I doubt I'll get lucky yet, although it will mean I move up the list which is great.
 

Lynette Hill

Member
Joined
9 Jan 2018
Messages
48
Location
Wales
Hi Lewis
That's good news! I've got one more month in my current job and have a provisional job offer (pre-employment check pending) and a few more applications being reviewed. I will wait to hear and decide where i go as I dont want to mess anyone around. Timing is key for me at the moment. I may defer my place with Arriva (or whoever) and wait until next year when i can make a more informed decision on where I want to be. You might find yourself getting closer to the top of the list :). Its suddenly starting to feel more real...eek!
 

LS.CYMRU

Member
Joined
16 Nov 2016
Messages
78
Hi Lewis
That's good news! I've got one more month in my current job and have a provisional job offer (pre-employment check pending) and a few more applications being reviewed. I will wait to hear and decide where i go as I dont want to mess anyone around. Timing is key for me at the moment. I may defer my place with Arriva (or whoever) and wait until next year when i can make a more informed decision on where I want to be. You might find yourself getting closer to the top of the list :). Its suddenly starting to feel more real...eek!

As you say timing is key and if it's meant to be everything should fall into place hopefully.
I'm currently working in London at the moment so the main focus for me right now is getting a transfer back to Wales so I'll be in a better position if/when the time comes.
I hope whatever you decide to do works out for you either way and go with your gut instinct!
 

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Joined
8 Jul 2017
Messages
2,225
Hi Lewis
That's good news! I've got one more month in my current job and have a provisional job offer (pre-employment check pending) and a few more applications being reviewed. I will wait to hear and decide where i go as I dont want to mess anyone around. Timing is key for me at the moment. I may defer my place with Arriva (or whoever) and wait until next year when i can make a more informed decision on where I want to be. You might find yourself getting closer to the top of the list :). Its suddenly starting to feel more real...eek!

Should Arriva offer you a job, please don’t ask to wait for the next course - grab it whilst the job is on offer !

Talent Pools are horrible creations, there are probably thousands of people across the country waiting in various pools for jobs that may well never happen (look at the VTEC driver horror story).

The new franchise (announced next month) could bring a whole level of uncertainty especially for Cardiff Valley depots (see W&B thread), grab rhejob now don’t risk losing it !

Best of luck.
 

Lynette Hill

Member
Joined
9 Jan 2018
Messages
48
Location
Wales
Should Arriva offer you a job, please don’t ask to wait for the next course - grab it whilst the job is on offer !

Talent Pools are horrible creations, there are probably thousands of people across the country waiting in various pools for jobs that may well never happen (look at the VTEC driver horror story).

The new franchise (announced next month) could bring a whole level of uncertainty especially for Cardiff Valley depots (see W&B thread), grab rhejob now don’t risk losing it !

Best of luck.
I'm new to all this rail speak.... what's W & B and the VTECH horror story??
 

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Joined
8 Jul 2017
Messages
2,225
I'm new to all this rail speak.... what's W & B and the VTECH horror story??

W&B Wales and Borders the franchise name for Arriva Trains Wales.

VTEC Virgin Trains East Coast, many dozens of people offered jobs as drivers pending training courses only to be told months later their not needed and goodbye.
 

LRV3004

Member
Joined
17 Mar 2015
Messages
625
Feel sorry for those VTEC drivers after getting through the lengthy recruitment process with the outcome of a new career, only to have it taken away from them. Hopefully those people will be able to find driving jobs with other operators if they've got the industry psychometric under their belts!
Apologies for digressing from the thread by the way! Has anyone heard anything more from ATW re start dates/medicals?
 

Adam2507

Member
Joined
10 Apr 2018
Messages
5
Hi, just joined the forum and read previous posts. I’ve got a telephone interview for Chester trainee conductor on 1st May. I’ve previously applied for Blackburn with northern- unsuccessfully!! Had an interview/assessment day which I thought went well but obviously not. Hoping I do better this time, will do lots of research. Chester’s a bit further away but happy to travel. And I’ll keep applying until I get one.
 

Adam2507

Member
Joined
10 Apr 2018
Messages
5
One thing that is worrying me if I’m successful is the parking....I know it’s a nightmare in Chester. Or do they have staff parking? It will be too early or late for public transport to/from work. (I know I’ve got to get through recruitment yet but I’m confident!!!)
 

sw1ller

Established Member
Joined
4 Jan 2013
Messages
1,567
One thing that is worrying me if I’m successful is the parking....I know it’s a nightmare in Chester. Or do they have staff parking? It will be too early or late for public transport to/from work. (I know I’ve got to get through recruitment yet but I’m confident!!!)

Staff parking in the NCP. it’s about £22 a month or you can park a motorbike in a locked compound on the staton for free.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top