• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New commute from Bedford to London

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fa11on

Member
Joined
16 Jan 2015
Messages
5
Hi,

I've done a few searches on this forum but most of the questions similar to mine seem to be a few years old now so I figured I'd ask to get the latest information.

My wife and I will soon be moving out of London and plan to commute in from Bedford (me to Soho via St Pancras, her to Blackfriars). What is the ideal ticket type(s) for maximum savings. An annual ticket is probably out of the question as the upfront costs are a little too high.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,630
Location
Isle of Man
It depends where you will be going, how much you want to walk, etc etc.

If your partner is just going to Blackfriars and back, then a Bedford to London Thameslink (valid as far south as Elephant and Castle) would be fine.

For you, it depends if you're prepared to walk to Soho from St Pancras, or whether you'll be using the tube.
 

Kristofferson

Member
Joined
23 Nov 2012
Messages
1,132
If you can't afford a yearly season, it may be worth staying clear of the monthly and weekly ones too (as these are inflated vs a yearly) - if you're entitled to a railcard of some kind, it may well be cheaper to buy daily tickets.
 

Fa11on

Member
Joined
16 Jan 2015
Messages
5
I'll probably do a combination of both. Walk/Boris Bike if the weather is OK and tube/bus if not. I guess just a St Pancras ticket will suffice.
 

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
3,402
Location
Bedford
Yes - I'd go for the Bedford-London Thameslink season for both of you (valid for entry and exit at St Pancras/Blackfriars), and add on the tube on a PAYG basis (Oyster/contactless) if required. I can confirm that even with a Railcard, daily tickets aren't cheaper unless you commute less than 3 times a week. :)
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,630
Location
Isle of Man
If you can't afford a yearly season, it may be worth staying clear of the monthly and weekly ones too (as these are inflated vs a yearly)

That depends on how you play it.

If you have odd-period season tickets of a month or longer- making sure they start on a Monday and end on a Friday- you can achieve similar savings to an annual season ticket.
 

Fa11on

Member
Joined
16 Jan 2015
Messages
5
So monthlys are the way to go? I saw an old post about buying monthly tickets plus 1, 2, 3, etc, days to ensure it ends on a friday. That's sounds promising
 

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
23 May 2009
Messages
3,402
Location
Bedford
Yes - I'd say go for monthly tickets (ending on a Friday assuming no travel at weekends) :)
 

stephy

Member
Joined
25 Mar 2011
Messages
124
I did the 'long' months thing last year when my employer didn't do annual ticket loans and it did save me a lot of money. You end up saving many weeks worth of travel, especially taking annual leave into account. Overall it worked out at around 50-60 less per month compared to the standard monthly. Doesn't feel like it at the time when you're forking out nearly 500 quid or more but overall it balances.

Make sure your wife gets a 'fast' Thameslink to Blackfriars, some leaving earlier actually get there later. Don't be fooled!

Welcome to the neighbourhood. Any recs wanted let me know
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
Although an annual season ticket is expensive to pay up front, it is worth mentioning that it only costs 40 times the cost of a weekly ticket.

At current prices, an annual ticket can save you £669.60 over the cost of 12 monthly tickets, and you get Annual Gold Card too, saving you money on the cost of rail travel (in the Network Card area) not covered by your season ticket.
 

Fa11on

Member
Joined
16 Jan 2015
Messages
5
Are annual tickets paper-based? I can foresee paper tickets easily getting ripped or worn over the course of a year
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
Worn out seasons can be replaced free of charge from any National Rail ticket office (preferably one operated by the same company that the original was bought from). You just need to take the old one to hand over.
 

GodAtum

On Moderation
Joined
11 Dec 2009
Messages
2,684
Hi,

I've done a few searches on this forum but most of the questions similar to mine seem to be a few years old now so I figured I'd ask to get the latest information.

My wife and I will soon be moving out of London and plan to commute in from Bedford (me to Soho via St Pancras, her to Blackfriars). What is the ideal ticket type(s) for maximum savings. An annual ticket is probably out of the question as the upfront costs are a little too high.

My condolences, you will use one of the worst lines in the UK ;)
 

button_boxer

Established Member
Joined
12 Nov 2009
Messages
1,271
Are annual tickets paper-based? I can foresee paper tickets easily getting ripped or worn over the course of a year

For the moment, yes, though I believe the new Thameslink operator (GoVia) intends to roll out their "The Key" smartcards at some point in the next few years.
 

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
For the moment, yes, though I believe the new Thameslink operator (GoVia) intends to roll out their "The Key" smartcards at some point in the next few years.

I believe initial rollout to the remaining Thameslink/Great Northern routes North of the Oyster zones should start later this year. (Outboundary Travelcards from the Southern operating area already work in the London zones, but not from the Thameslink area from Bedford to Elstree & Borehamwood.)
 

hick

Member
Joined
10 Aug 2009
Messages
97
Interest free for purchases credit cards and your funding issue for annuals is potentially gone.
 

stephy

Member
Joined
25 Mar 2011
Messages
124
Interest free for purchases credit cards and your funding issue for annuals is potentially gone.

Excellent idea then just pay off a monthly amount!
You seriously need to get the annual

And in my home town's defence is the line really as bad as the absolute hell of Richmond area to Waterloo trains? Colleague had longer journey than me and many tales of woe
 

JaJaWa

Established Member
Joined
14 Feb 2013
Messages
1,734
Location
⠀
I believe initial rollout to the remaining Thameslink/Great Northern routes North of the Oyster zones should start later this year. (Outboundary Travelcards from the Southern operating area already work in the London zones, but not from the Thameslink area from Bedford to Elstree & Borehamwood.)

Should apparently be complete by September (2015)
 

Fa11on

Member
Joined
16 Jan 2015
Messages
5
Yes - I'd go for the Bedford-London Thameslink season for both of you (valid for entry and exit at St Pancras/Blackfriars), and add on the tube on a PAYG basis (Oyster/contactless) if required. I can confirm that even with a Railcard, daily tickets aren't cheaper unless you commute less than 3 times a week. :)

Would a Bedford-London Thameslink season ticket allow travel via East Midlands trains as well as Thamelink?
 

RJ

Established Member
Joined
25 Jun 2005
Messages
8,828
Location
Back office
Would a Bedford-London Thameslink season ticket allow travel via East Midlands trains as well as Thamelink?

Yes is the answer to that one. "London Thameslink" is a collective term for a group of National Rail stations including St Pancras International, Farringdon, City Thameslink, Blackfriars, London Bridge and Elephant & Castle.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top