• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Burnley rail link may have funding

Status
Not open for further replies.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
A direct Burnley-Manchester rail link was mentioned on Granada Reports. I think if I heard correctly it will be 1/7th government funded and 6/7th local business funded.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,312
A direct Burnley-Manchester rail link was mentioned on Granada Reports. I think if I heard correctly it will be 1/7th government funded and 6/7th local business funded.

BBC article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-15519605

Suggests £8.8 million from DfT - that seems rather expensive if your 1:6 ratio is right?

What effect will it have on existing services - I'm not familiar with operations in that area...
 

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
32,692
Location
Northwich
Yes I agree it is just the Todmorden curve. It was the media making it sound like a whole new line opposed to just the reopening of a short stretch of line.

They showed Nick Clegg saying how brilliant the idea was and stating that for every £1 invested by the government, local businesses would invest £6 making it a good deal for both the government and business. However, looking in more detail I think that's an average rate as the percentage of government funding varies depending on the type of project.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top