• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

New Belmond train in England & Wales

chrisjo

Member
Joined
18 May 2024
Messages
604
Location
Llanishen
I see from a YouTube video Class 37's on the Cambrian line to Pwellheli section. I bet all crowded around those opening windows appreciating the thrash, though difficult to see through the darkened Windows
Again, the 2 vids on youtube say 'test run'
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,137
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
I saw the train at Bridgend. The dining car was full which would probably be the full complement of passngers. About 30 i reckon. It was running slow behind a maesteg service waiting to leave the main line
The people in the restaurant car could have been Belmond management and staff, perhaps?
 

WAB

Established Member
Joined
27 Jun 2015
Messages
1,304
Location
Anglia
Looks like the Belmond caused considerable delays on the Cambrian Coast yesterday. 1Z93 left Barmouth five minutes late, reversed at Tywyn, then lost another ten minutes in section. This put 13 minutes of delays onto 2I12. This then seems to have set off a chain reaction with delays of between 15 and 40 minutes on all trains up the coast until the end of service. Do we know what caused the initial delays at Barmouth, then between Tywyn and Barmouth?
 

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
1 Sep 2014
Messages
12,024
Location
here to eternity
Just seen the train at Reading - the only people I could see on the train had HV vests on indicating a test run rather than a revenue earning run.
 

chrisjo

Member
Joined
18 May 2024
Messages
604
Location
Llanishen
Video at SHR showing changeover from 66 to 37s. Definitely empty as others have said, looks like dust-sheets over some of the interior.

 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,817
Location
Croydon
Which two were the ones not included, then? The two crew ones?
At Victoria on Thursday the two missing coaches were 99104 and 99105 - by my Mk1 eyeball. I arrived too late to see the actual arrival on platform 2 but there were a few tourists departing the platform and milling around. The ECS left before 10:30 to immediately be replaced by the Belmond Pullman with 35028 "Clan Line" apparently headed for Dover !. Maybe the travellers I saw were for the Pullman ?. I did not notice covers on tables etc but I was not specifically looking.
 
Last edited:

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Apr 2010
Messages
17,855
Location
Oakham
At Victoria on Thursday the two missing coaches were 99104 and 99105 - by my Mk1 eyeball. I arrived too late to see the actual arrival on platform 2 but there were a few tourists departing the platform and milling around. The ECS left before 10:30 to immediately be replaced by the Belmond Pullman with 35028 "Clan Line" apparently headed for Dover !. Maybe the travellers I saw were for the Pullman ?. I did not notice covers on tables etc but I was not specifically looking.
Ah yes, I saw that - my train into Victoria passed both just outside the station; I for some reason didn't think to look at the numbers on the new rake! Somewhat unexpected seeing both sets together like that...

What was less usual was that 35028 had 67 021 tucked inside while there was also 67 005 on the London end; presumably the second 67 was fire risk insurance to take the load off Clan Line at sensitive areas?
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,817
Location
Croydon
Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
7,490
Location
Gomshall, Surrey
Again, the 2 vids on youtube say 'test run'
I very much doubt that those on board will care what is hauling the train!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I see the train is set to do the Cornwall and Wales tour starting today, but that it returns to Victoria between the two areas. Is this necessary for servicing, to allow passengers to leave in London, or some other reason?
 
Last edited:

Killingworth

Established Member
Joined
30 May 2018
Messages
6,503
Location
Sheffield
I very much doubt that those on board will care what is hauling the train!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I see the train is set to do the Cornwall and Wales tour starting today, but that it returns to Victoria between the two areas. Is this necessary for servicing, to allow passengers to leave in London, or some other reason?
Possibly a freebie publicity run to get media coverage?
 

Deepgreen

Established Member
Joined
12 Jun 2013
Messages
7,490
Location
Gomshall, Surrey
My apologies - I should have checked their site. The train apparently is scheduled to return to London mid-way through to have a meal at a hotel there before heading to Wales. I magine the chance to service it will also be taken!
 

Class15

Established Member
Joined
30 Dec 2021
Messages
4,191
Location
North London or Mildmay line
My apologies - I should have checked their site. The train apparently is scheduled to return to London mid-way through to have a meal at a hotel there before heading to Wales. I magine the chance to service it will also be taken!
Perhaps the trip is also offered as individual trips, rather than the two combined?
 

BillStampy

Established Member
Joined
6 Jan 2024
Messages
1,621
Location
Llanharan
Perhaps the trip is also offered as individual trips, rather than the two combined?
I believe they offer the two seperate ones - Cornwall and Wales trips individually and the one 6 day trip to Cornwall and Wales. I could be wrong
 

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2010
Messages
9,817
Location
Croydon
I very much doubt that those on board will care what is hauling the train!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I see the train is set to do the Cornwall and Wales tour starting today, but that it returns to Victoria between the two areas. Is this necessary for servicing, to allow passengers to leave in London, or some other reason?
There is a separate 3 night tour to Wales starting on the day (morning) the Cornwall Tour finishes. Must be an ambitions turn around !.

There is a six night tour of the two combined starting next year. First date seems to be 5th March 2026.

Unfortunately the callender does not want to allude to a six day tour (or any) starting on 29th August (in the past). The current Cornwall tour has dropped off (was showing as sold out on the morning of the departure day) !. So cannot see if there was a combined tour advertised BUT the next six night tour is six months away. There is not a follow on Wales tour after the next Cornwall tour that starts on 19th September.
 
Last edited:

co-tr-paul

Established Member
Joined
8 Mar 2016
Messages
1,253
Location
Helston, Cornwall
Looking at all the photos , I'm wondering what the point is of the observation coach ?
Unless you like 66 cab fronts !
( yes I know routes require tnt ! ).
 

BillStampy

Established Member
Joined
6 Jan 2024
Messages
1,621
Location
Llanharan
Looking at all the photos , I'm wondering what the point is of the observation coach ?
Unless you like 66 cab fronts !
( yes I know routes require tnt ! ).
On the Wales test run I saw the 66 on the rear wasn't on the consist so it did provide purpose for that run. I've noticed it's been on the back of the current run the entire way through so it does sort of defeat the point of the coach.
 
Joined
22 Jan 2024
Messages
588
Location
Yorkshire
Looking at all the photos , I'm wondering what the point is of the observation coach ?
Unless you like 66 cab fronts !
( yes I know routes require tnt ! ).

It's as converted when it was used in Ireland, where the train wasn't top and tail so in at least one direction there would be a view.
 

JKF

Established Member
Joined
29 May 2019
Messages
1,333
It’ll give a nice view of all the crap left in the cess by maintenance contractors.
 

Jacob Porrett

Established Member
Joined
28 Jan 2022
Messages
1,975
Location
Telford



66748 and 66744 on the Britannic Explorer tomorrow.
 

Western 52

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2020
Messages
1,672
Location
Burry Port
I watched it pass my house in the dark yesterday evening. Did look to be some passengers on there, but a lot of blinds were down.
 

Top