GatwickDepress
Established Member
Apparently my residential address has been getting sporadic letters from TV Licensing ever since I was put on the electoral roll this year...
The technology already exists, it's called a subscription. Seems to work for Rupert.
The BBC already does get a substantial amount of revenue from selling to overseas markets in five ways.They could also look at selling subscriptions to overseas markets as well. I imagine an IPlayer subscription would be quite popular in a number of foreign media markets...
Well said.I pay £70 a MONTH to Sky. No thank you. If people only paid for what they wanted to watch, imagine how much stuff wouldn't get made?
I'm sorry, but I think we need to keep the fee. I've said many times, as a journalist, that our TV, news and web media is falling in quality every year because it's reliant on advertisers that want to influence and control what is shown as best as possible (and the regulators are always far behind in controlling it).
And if the BBC ever took advertising, then ITV and the others would really suffer. There's only so much advertising money to go around.
I'm sorry, but I think we need to keep the fee. I've said many times, as a journalist, that our TV, news and web media is falling in quality every year because it's reliant on advertisers that want to influence and control what is shown as best as possible (and the regulators are always far behind in controlling it).
If people only paid for what they wanted to watch, imagine how much stuff wouldn't get made?
Anywhere else in the world "state broadcaster" is a synonym for "dictator's propaganda machine", yet we're supposed to believe our state broadcaster is impartial? Yeah right.
The thing is that no broadcaster is completely impartial. The stakeholders will all have vested interests in one way or another.
On that basis, the BBC does a relatively good job, compared to some others.
The BBC are reliant on the goodwill of their funders too, though. That's why they've not bothered to report on the destruction of the NHS, or on the 50,000 people who marched at the weekend against austerity. Look at the way they take delight in reporting on Panorama that the NHS is "failing", not to mention the many programmes all essentially saying that anyone on benefits is a scrounger.
The BBC are reliant on the Government for their funding, the Government could take it away anytime they wanted, and so the BBC simply do not stand up to the Government. What's worse, they actively go out of their way to do the Government's dirty work for them. Anywhere else in the world "state broadcaster" is a synonym for "dictator's propaganda machine", yet we're supposed to believe our state broadcaster is impartial? Yeah right.
The thing is that no broadcaster is completely impartial. The stakeholders will all have vested interests in one way or another.
On that basis, the BBC does a relatively good job, compared to some others.
Seriously, with the decision on whether to withdraw the BBC's funding in government hands, the organisation is bound to be wary of upsetting them. It would be unrealistic to expect anything else.
ac6000cw said:Nick Robinson's book 'Live from Downing Street' has quite a good history/opinions of the relationship between the BBC and the politicians since it was founded (and it's a good read anyway).