• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Railcard - how long can I buy in advance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

radamfi

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2009
Messages
9,267
How long in advance can I buy a Network Railcard? My Railcard expires on 3 October, but I won't be needing it (for the return portion of a ticket with one month validity) until 5 October. Can I renew it in advance, to start on the 5 October (thus saving the cost of 2 days Railcard ownership) or do I have to have complete Railcard validity throughout the ticket's validity?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,129
Location
Redcar
I would have thought you could renew it now, I always renew my 16-25 Railcard a week or two before it expires.
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,129
Location
Redcar
Assuming you renew it in a station there won't be, they will issue you a new one there and then. If your renewing on-line I'm not sure, I've always used a station.
 

radamfi

Established Member
Joined
29 Oct 2009
Messages
9,267
Assuming you renew it in a station there won't be, they will issue you a new one there and then. If your renewing on-line I'm not sure, I've always used a station.

To be clear, I WANT to have 1 day where I have no Railcard. OK, I'm being a bit tight, wanting to save 2/365*£25 = 13.7p, but maybe in the future there could be more of a gap. Suppose, I need a Railcard on 4 October 2011 but after that never again (for example, if I moved away from the South East on 5 October 2011)? Then I could save £25 by delaying the renewal by 1 day.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Up to one month, but with no break of continuity.

OK, sounds like I need to buy a new one on the day I need it.
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,583
Location
Crayford
If you order online then you usually get an extra few days (might be 7) added on to allow for postage. So if you leave renewing it until the last couple of days you should be ok ... unless of course you won't be at home to pick it up.

There is no link between the ticket and a specific railcard though, so purchase it on the day you need it and you'll also be fine.
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
Strictly speaking railcard discounted fares should only be sold where the railcard is valid for the duration of the ticket. In the the case of open returns, this includes the entire validity of the return portion. If you already have the ticket. it might be wise to not be such a tight a**e (no offense intended) and cover your back .

Railcards can only be sold in advance from a ticket office where there there is an existing railcard valid upto the intended start date, but no more than a month in advance.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top