As someone who used to be called to attend 'bridge bashes' to assess their condition for permitting train movements with a speed restriction, or placing a stop on all movements pending a full Engineers examination, I welcome anything that will reduce these incidents.
In many cases, at the time no vehicle details can be obtained for the report, as the vehicle has departed, - unless a public spirited local can be found who noted vehicle details, or the BT Police can obtain information from the local traffic Police, who may be aware of it or not. Without vehicle details a claim cannot be made against the driver or owing firm. It seems that most of the drivers caught were the ones with vehicles jammed under the bridges or free but unroadworthy to proceed.
Perhaps well placed cameras could be helpful here? All bridges have signs advising the public of a phone number, perhaps the offer of some financial reward should be considered to a person reporting? I do however realise that this could be open to abuse.
There is often a delay in a competent person arriving on scene as they could be on duty many miles away, or get stuck in traffic en route. I recall my old boss castigating me over a delay in arriving on site; "What, -it took you over an hour to get there." I explained that I was about 45 miles away and it was during the evening peak. I heard no more, but thought afterwards, should I have asked for a Police blue light escort through North Wales and Cheshire? I have used this service in the past, but as no lives were in danger it did not seem appropriate to ask.