• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail to introduce regional phonetic alphabet

Status
Not open for further replies.

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,165
Location
Elginshire
Good idea! I wonder what the localised phonetic alphabets would be like in other regions. ;)


Network Rail has made a bid to improve communications between signal panels and boxes within each region by devising new phonetic alphabets which draw on local culture and language.

A notice sent to signallers and seen by Railnews says: ‘Following consultation it has been agreed that the London and South East Region (LaSER) Region Specific Phonetic Alphabet (RSPA) will become active from 0001hrs Saturday 1st April 2023. The RSPA will work concurrently with standardised Alphabet as per Rule Book Section G1.

‘The introduction of the LaSER RSPA is a culmination of many hours of work to bring forward a tangible legacy to “2023, British Year of the Dialect”. This RSPA embraces local dialectic idiosyncrasies.

‘As I'm sure your teams are aware, Network Rail have been embracing dialect and local customs in our bid to remain Diversity Relevant in the modern era. The homogenization of language, while ensuring clarity, is diluting cultures nationally and internationally.

‘Network Rail’s policy of multiple RSPAs should go live following a successful trial of LaSER.’

The new alphabet for the London area draws inspiration from the classic BBC comedy series, ‘Only Fools and Horses’, and reads:

A = Arfur; B = Boycie; C = Cushty; D = Denzel; E = Earner;F = Freddie; G = Geezer; H = Hooky; I = Incometax; J = Jubbly; K = Khazi; L = Liquor; M = Marlene; N = Nagshead; O = Occhetti; P = Plonker; Q = Quack; R = Rodney; S = Sullivan; T = Tea; U = Uncle; V = VAT; W = Wally; X = Xwife; Y = Yuppy; Z = Zebedee.

Network Rail added: ‘It is important to note this can only be used for rail communications wholly encompassed within LaSER. In ALL other circumstances users must apply G1 SA.’
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spartacus

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2009
Messages
3,836
Shouldn't R be Dave? ;)

Guess they'll be inspired by Emmerdale or Heartbeat for LNE, Corrie or Life on Mars for LNW, River City or Rab C. Nesbitt for Scotland, Pobol y Cwm or Gavin & Stacey for Wales, East Anglia must be inspired by Alan Partridge...!
 

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,313
Very good. Best of today.

Am I really the only one left who remembers "Reflections on the Ruritanian State Railways" in Railway World, April issue, late 1960s?
 

stuu

Established Member
Joined
2 Sep 2011
Messages
3,772
There was a model magazine one I remember from when I was 10 or so, early 80s, of someone who had built a model of the Circle Line under his floor, with perspex viewing windows at the stations. I remember being quite disappointed it was an April Fool
 

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Joined
11 Apr 2012
Messages
10,537
Location
Preston Lancs
My favourite April Fool was 31200 renamed Railtour Enterprise and all the other fictitious names in Rail Enthusiast magazine in the 1980s
 

Skie

Established Member
Joined
22 Dec 2008
Messages
1,239
:lol:

Though I’ve caused some chuckles when I brainfart and say Unicorn. It’s just stuck in my head and try as hard as I can it’s the only U word that comes out, so I’d welcome a binning of Uniform.
 

midland1

Member
Joined
18 Aug 2019
Messages
447
Location
wigston
Very good. Best of today.

Am I really the only one left who remembers "Reflections on the Ruritanian State Railways" in Railway World, April issue, late 1960s?
I remember it as well, someone wrote a letter in to the Mag. saying they were from their embassy and complaining about it that it was not very fair on the railway.
 

Taunton

Veteran Member
Joined
1 Aug 2013
Messages
12,313
I remember it as well, someone wrote a letter in to the Mag. saying they were from their embassy and complaining about it that it was not very fair on the railway.
Oh yes. I think the letter was signed "K I Lenurb". Well over half-a-century on I have been known to still use this occasionally ... :)
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,556
Location
Lichfield
Reading this on Monday the 3rd and wondering NR would waste so much money, then I saw the date it was posted. :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top