• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Network Rail Signaller Online SJT Tests/ Assessment Centre Tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArchangelA

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2020
Messages
265
Location
West Midlands
Hi,
Has anyone here completed the Network Rail online SJT tests, if so, please would you specify what they consisted of, in particular the kind of maths (ie simple addition/ subtraction/ fractions/ graphs/percentages) tested and their level of difficulty?
For those that have sat them at the assessment centre, were the tests the same or different?
For info, I've already paid for and downloaded the SJT tests found online, but they consist of the very easy to the very hard kind of SJT tests and do not specify which ones Network Rail will use during the application process.
Thank you.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ducatist4

On Moderation
Joined
29 Apr 2019
Messages
988
Location
Mansfield
When you start your application they will send you some sample tests to have a go at before you do the real ones. Thats probably the best way to make sure that what you are practicing is like the real thing.
 

Intermodal

Established Member
Joined
3 Nov 2010
Messages
1,306
Location
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
If you are talking about the signalling grade, the Network Rail tests are not SJTs (Situational Judgement Tests). It is a verbal reasoning test and a numerical reasoning test. There is no situational judgement test unless they changed it within the last 6 months.

This is the test provider they use, SHL: https://www.shldirect.com/en/practice-tests

You can sit practise tests for free by clicking "Verbal Reasoning" and "Numerical Reasoning" on the above link. The sort of questions in the practice tests are very representative of the real tests, although not the same. It's a lot of fractions, percentages, reading data from tables, graph reading, addition, multiplication, etc.
 

ArchangelA

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2020
Messages
265
Location
West Midlands
Thanks for this. Is it just the one test from each then? What is the level of difficulty used by the testing company,as, after buying the tests online their are different degrees of difficulty.
 

9tfrizzco

Member
Joined
17 Oct 2019
Messages
115
Location
worthing
Maths is ratios and percentages based. Expect to be dividing/multiplying by decimals
Verbal reasoning is the easier one in my opinion-felt the answer was obvious most of the time. Easier than basically all online practice ones imo. Reckon a good way of doing well on the official one is practicing online ones. It will make it seem easy in comparison
 

ArchangelA

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2020
Messages
265
Location
West Midlands
I see..thanks for this. Been a long time since I completed my O level maths. Its amazing how much you forget over time lol
 

Intermodal

Established Member
Joined
3 Nov 2010
Messages
1,306
Location
I wonder how long I can make my location on this f
@9tfrizzco gives excellent advice. The real tests are easier than the practice tests I linked. I would suggest getting very comfortable with the material in the practice tests and you will be fine on the real tests. Incidentally I have done these tests a number of times for different applications - the test was exactly the same even when the job I was applying for was for a different company! I specifically remembered a lot of the questions.

The first time I sat them I didn't even manage to do the last 2 questions on the numerical reasoning, and I still passed (and got the job in fact). Fairly confident all my answers were correct apart from missing two at the end.

Needless to say the next time I did the tests it was significantly easier once I realised it was exactly the same test I'd sat before...
 

ArchangelA

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2020
Messages
265
Location
West Midlands
Thank you...so did you get a job as signaller? Did you have to sit the same tests at an assessment centre for Network Rail?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top