Up till the 1990s there was a large building beside the metro line in Cullercoats between North View and Marden Crescent. It was demolished and replaced by a nursing home, and had been derelict for many years.
My great grandfather had apparently worked there, and was listed in the 1911 census as Power Station Worker. My grandmother told me the building was a generator for the old NER electric trains that predates the diesel DMUs. Sadly I can find nothing on the Internet about this building other than on the 1919 O.S. map which says something like 'Electric Generator N.E.R.C.' but it's hard to tell.
The building was behind the 'smithy' on North View.
I would love to know more about this building and its history. Even a photo would be nice. I've read so much about the NER during my searches I feel very well informed.
My great grandfather had apparently worked there, and was listed in the 1911 census as Power Station Worker. My grandmother told me the building was a generator for the old NER electric trains that predates the diesel DMUs. Sadly I can find nothing on the Internet about this building other than on the 1919 O.S. map which says something like 'Electric Generator N.E.R.C.' but it's hard to tell.
The building was behind the 'smithy' on North View.
I would love to know more about this building and its history. Even a photo would be nice. I've read so much about the NER during my searches I feel very well informed.