Metroman62
Member
I appreciate there is no easy fix for when delays happen, but one can understand why members of the public get annoyed at the railway companies. Unfortunately, tonight a train broke down at Seamer and this meant the line between Scarborough and York and Scarborough and Bridlington was blocked for most of the evening. I was on a service that terminated at Malton because it could not go any further and the guard advised road transport would be available in about 50 minutes. So everybody got off the train to wait for the road replacement service and the train went back to York. Unfortunately, Malton station was all locked up, so it was a very cold wait with no toilets outside. Just by Malton station is a bus station full of Coastliner buses, and lots of the passengers could not understand why the buses could not be called upon to get them to Scarborough. (The last bus to Scarborough had gone). With the station closed and no Trans-Pennine staff to give any information, many passengers were frustrated at the service and the conditions they had been left in. Of course, it's not easy to just instigate road transport for stranded passengers, but the general public would not appreciate that and will just have negative views of the railway service provided to them. I was lucky and after an hour's wait was able to pay for a taxi to Scarborough. I don't know when the replacement bus arrived.
I don't think matters were helped by the train times display outside the station still showing trains were running!
So, not a good experience for passengers with no easy fix. It's a shame the station building was closed at 8 in the evening and no staff were there for reassurance or information, but I expect there are many people there tonight with negative views on the railway service.
I don't think matters were helped by the train times display outside the station still showing trains were running!
So, not a good experience for passengers with no easy fix. It's a shame the station building was closed at 8 in the evening and no staff were there for reassurance or information, but I expect there are many people there tonight with negative views on the railway service.