• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

need fares help: Leicester to Widnes

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCW

Member
Joined
30 Dec 2011
Messages
699
Location
Leicester UK
Hi guys,

I wish to pick your brains again.

Now me and my mate need to run an errand next wednesday 10th October and we need to use the train as we might be driving a new vehicle back to Leicester.

We wish to depart at about 7am and wish to leave widnes early afternoon, so say 2 pm.

Now There will be two adults, we don't need first class or anything (not that I notice a difference half the time). I looked this up on National Rail and it came back to me with £144!!!!!! :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure there could be a cheaper solution???

I am thinking of, however, getting me and said mate to buy tickets for going then buying the tickets separately from widnes on the way home (if we leave by train)

I'm open to ideas on this one as it has me stumped!

so much for cheap rail travel..... :roll:
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chapeltom

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2010
Messages
1,316
Location
Tainan, Taiwan.
£59.10 each I've got it down to via Sheffield which is the obvious route.

Leicester to Long Eaton - £9.30
Long Eaton to Sheffield - £19.30
Sheffield to Widnes - £30.50

0712 to 0825 - Leicester to Sheffield
0842 to 1005 - Sheffield to Widnes

1411 to 1535, Widnes to Sheffield
1547 to 1651, Sheffield to Leicester

----
£48.00 each now.

Leicester to Nuneaton - £13
Nuneaton to Stafford - £13.60
Stafford to Crewe - £10.10
Crewe to Hough Green - £9.90
Hough Green to Widnes - £1.40 - Hough Green is 3 mins from Widnes by train and a suburb of it. So you may not need this ticket at all!

0724 to 0819 - Leicester to Birmingham New St
0836 to 0959 - Birmingham New St to Liverpool S.P
1009 to 1023 - Liverpool S.P to Widnes

1354 to 1406 - Widnes to Liverpool S.P
1415 to 1547 - Liverpool S.P to Birmingham New St
1609 to 1706 - Birmingham New St to Leicester
 
Last edited:

telstarbox

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
6,380
Location
Wennington Crossovers
I can beat Chapeltom's combination using the same trains ;)

Leicester to Long Eaton - £9.30
Long Eaton to Sheffield - £19.30
Sheffield to Widnes - £24.30 "via Stockport" Off-Peak Return which is valid from 0830 (restriction I5).

Total £52.90.
 

Chapeltom

Established Member
Joined
23 Feb 2010
Messages
1,316
Location
Tainan, Taiwan.
I can beat Chapeltom's combination using the same trains ;)

Leicester to Long Eaton - £9.30
Long Eaton to Sheffield - £19.30
Sheffield to Widnes - £24.30 "via Stockport" Off-Peak Return which is valid from 0830 (restriction I5).

Total £52.90.

And I've just got it down to £48 on a different route :D

Should the O.P wish to buy a single, its £44.20. Same splits minus the one at Nuneaton. For the sake of £3.80, unless the O.P is 100% sure they'll be not travelling by train on the return leg, I'd buy a return.
 
Last edited:

telstarbox

Established Member
Joined
23 Jul 2010
Messages
6,380
Location
Wennington Crossovers
I am thinking of, however, getting me and said mate to buy tickets for going then buying the tickets separately from Widnes on the way home (if we leave by train)

Returns tend to cost only slightly more than singles so if there's even a chance you'll be getting the train back, it would be advisable to buy return tickets. For example:

Leicester - Widnes Anytime Return £70.50, Anytime Single £63 (although there are cheaper solutions on this thread).
 

MCW

Member
Joined
30 Dec 2011
Messages
699
Location
Leicester UK
guys you are awesome,

so that's about £50 each for a return ticket?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
do i buy in advance or at the station? what would i ask for at the station?
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
do i buy in advance or at the station? what would i ask for at the station?

You can buy from 1900~ the day before or on the day. Just ask for what is listed above - just state from and to and the type (eg. Off-Peak Return) and they'll sell it to you. Best to buy all three in one go I'd say.
 

MCW

Member
Joined
30 Dec 2011
Messages
699
Location
Leicester UK
You can buy from 1900~ the day before or on the day. Just ask for what is listed above - just state from and to and the type (eg. Off-Peak Return) and they'll sell it to you. Best to buy all three in one go I'd say.

cheers mate! :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top