• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

georgia2281

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2024
Messages
7
Location
redditch
I got this letter sent to me today, I have drafted a response but I a not sure if this response is okay or not. Is there anything else I should put in ?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

This is my letter back so far



I would like to sincerely apologize for my actions, and I fully understand that what occurred is a criminal offense. This was a mistake, and I deeply regret it. I have never been involved in anything like this before and can assure you that it will never happen again.


I would be extremely grateful for the opportunity to resolve this matter without going to court. I am prepared to pay the outstanding fares as well as any administrative costs that have been incurred.


Once again, I truly apologize for the inconvenience caused and appreciate your consideration in this matter.


Kind regards,



Do I need to put anything else ?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8422.png
    IMG_8422.png
    511.3 KB · Views: 115
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

methecooldude

Member
Joined
14 Dec 2015
Messages
420
We need to know all relevant facts in order to assist you, including, for example:
The stations* where you actually started & finished your journey
The stations* where you changed trains (if applicable);
If you presented a ticket(s), the information* stated under "Ticket type", "From", "To", "Route", and any other relevant details;
Details of any Railcard(s) held;
When and where ticket(s) were purchased, including whether this was prior to the journey commencing;
What happened in any encounter with railway staff;

We need to know what outcome(s) you would consider satisfactory
 

georgia2281

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2024
Messages
7
Location
redditch
I started the journey at bournville and got off at Birmingham new street, but I only got a ticket from five ways. I completely forgot. I have never don’t this before and I am never going to.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I got given this slip

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I apologised loads, told him that I had a death in the family that week but I knew that wasn’t an excuse

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I can’t go to court, I able to pay the fine
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8301.jpeg
    IMG_8301.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,991
Location
Airedale
1. Obviously it needs to start Dear Sir/Madam and give the case reference.

2. I would not use the word "mistake" - buying a ticket from Five Ways is short faring, not correcting a mistake - buying a ticket from Bournville after the train had left would be a lesser offence (if it was noticed at all).

3. You need to be aware that WMT will have investigated your.travel history, so I trust your third sentence is 100% correct (and " fares" in your 3rd para. is a typo).

4. "I am prepared" sounds as if you are making WMT a generous offer - while they will almost certainly be prepared to offer you a settlement, it is that way round. "I will of course pay..." might be better?

5. You could add a sentence to explain how you will avoid short-faring in future.
 

georgia2281

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2024
Messages
7
Location
redditch
1. Obviously it needs to start Dear Sir/Madam and give the case reference.

2. I would not use the word "mistake" - buying a ticket from Five Ways is short faring, not correcting a mistake - buying a ticket from Bournville after the train had left would be a lesser offence (if it was noticed at all).

3. You need to be aware that WMT will have investigated your.travel history, so I trust your third sentence is 100% correct (and " fares" in your 3rd para. is a typo).

4. "I am prepared" sounds as if you are making WMT a generous offer - while they will almost certainly be prepared to offer you a settlement, it is that way round. "I will of course pay..." might be better?

5. You could add a sentence to explain how you will avoid short-faring in future.
Is this better ? Anything else you would add/change?

Dear Sir/Madam,



I am very sorry for what has happened and understand it is a criminal offence.



I really regret it, I have never done this before and I will never do this again. In the future, I will make certain that I have a valid train ticket.



I would be very grateful for the opportunity to settle the matter out of court, and I will of course pay the outstanding fare plus any administrative costs incurred.



Once again I am truly sorry.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,669
Location
LBK
Is this better ? Anything else you would add/change?

Dear Sir/Madam,



I am very sorry for what has happened and understand it is a criminal offence.



I really regret it, I have never done this before and I will never do this again. In the future, I will make certain that I have a valid train ticket.



I would be very grateful for the opportunity to settle the matter out of court, and I will of course pay the outstanding fare plus any administrative costs incurred.



Once again I am truly sorry.
It doesn't sound like you have even acknowledged what you did wrong there. You're basically having to apologise for stealing but it can't just be "sorry for what happened" - that is horribly passive language - how would you react if someone stole from you and they said "sorry for what happened"?

A better way of putting things is "I am sorry for not buying a ticket for my full journey and know that it is my responsibility to do so. I know that this means you didn't receive the proper fare and I apologise for the inconvenience and financial impact of what I did"
 

georgia2281

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2024
Messages
7
Location
redditch
It doesn't sound like you have even acknowledged what you did wrong there. You're basically having to apologise for stealing but it can't just be "sorry for what happened" - that is horribly passive language - how would you react if someone stole from you and they said "sorry for what happened"?

A better way of putting things is "I am sorry for not buying a ticket for my full journey and know that it is my responsibility to do so. I know that this means you didn't receive the proper fare and I apologise for the inconvenience and financial impact of what I did"
Apologies, you are right.

Is this okay ?


Dear Sir/Madam

I would like to sincerely apologize for failing to purchase the appropriate ticket for my entire journey. I fully recognize that it is my responsibility to ensure I have the correct fare, and I deeply regret the inconvenience this has caused.

I understand the financial impact of my actions, and I am committed to rectifying the situation. I assure you that I will take all necessary steps to ensure that I have a valid ticket for any future travel.

I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal proceedings, and I am more than willing to pay the outstanding fare along with any administrative costs incurred.

Once again, I am truly sorry for my mistake and any trouble it may have caused.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

1. Obviously it needs to start Dear Sir/Madam and give the case reference.

2. I would not use the word "mistake" - buying a ticket from Five Ways is short faring, not correcting a mistake - buying a ticket from Bournville after the train had left would be a lesser offence (if it was noticed at all).

3. You need to be aware that WMT will have investigated your.travel history, so I trust your third sentence is 100% correct (and " fares" in your 3rd para. is a typo).

4. "I am prepared" sounds as if you are making WMT a generous offer - while they will almost certainly be prepared to offer you a settlement, it is that way round. "I will of course pay..." might be better?

5. You could add a sentence to explain how you will avoid short-faring in future.
Is this response better ?

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to sincerely apologize for not purchasing the appropriate ticket for my entire journey. I fully acknowledge that it is my responsibility to ensure I have the correct fare, and I deeply regret any inconvenience my oversight may have caused.

I understand the financial implications of my actions and am committed to rectifying the situation. I assure you that I will take all necessary steps to ensure I have a valid ticket for any future travel.

I would be grateful for the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal proceedings. I am more than willing to pay the outstanding fare, along with any administrative costs incurred.

Once again, I sincerely apologize for any trouble this may have caused, and I am eager to settle the matter promptly.
 
Last edited:

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,133
I can’t go to court, I able to pay the fine
I think what you mean is "I don't want to go to court." Whether you do or not will depend on how WMT responds to your letter.

I would suggest the below wording is better. (Again, it's not up to you to rectify the situation - the ball is in their court.)

I understand what I did was wrong, and will the financial implications of my actions and am committed to rectifying the situation. I assure you that I will take all necessary steps to ensure I have a valid ticket for any future travel.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,156
Welcome to the forum!

Forum members have given excellent advice about how your letter can be improved. Although we cannot guarantee WMT will offer you an out of court settlement they almost always do. They will want you to pay the cost of all the fares avoided at the full Anytime rate with no credit given for the invalid tickets you did purchase. In addition they will want an admin fee, typically £175.

You will need to be in a position to pay the settlement in full within a few days of it being offered, payment in installments is not allowed.
 

georgia2281

Member
Joined
11 Nov 2024
Messages
7
Location
redditch
Welcome to the forum!

Forum members have given excellent advice about how your letter can be improved. Although we cannot guarantee WMT will offer you an out of court settlement they almost always do. They will want you to pay the cost of all the fares avoided at the full Anytime rate with no credit given for the invalid tickets you did purchase. In addition they will want an admin fee, typically £175.

You will need to be in a position to pay the settlement in full within a few days of it being offered, payment in installments is not allowed.
Okay, is there anything you would change with my letter ?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Is this better? Any changes ?

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to sincerely apologize for not purchasing the appropriate ticket for my entire journey. I fully acknowledge that it is my responsibility to ensure I have the correct fare, and I deeply regret any inconvenience my oversight may have caused.

I understand what I did was wrong, and will ensure I have a valid ticket for any future travel.

I would be grateful for the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal proceedings. I am more than willing to pay the outstanding fare, along with any administrative costs incurred.

Once again, I sincerely apologize for any trouble this may have caused, and I am eager to settle the matter promptly.

Regards,
 
Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,156
I think your letter is generally ok but I would incorporate the suggestion made by @John R
 

some bloke

Established Member
Joined
12 Feb 2017
Messages
1,811
I started the journey at bournville and got off at Birmingham new street, but I only got a ticket from five ways. I completely forgot.
That could sound more like a mistake.

In the draft,
I fully acknowledge that it is my responsibility to ensure I have the correct fare
That sounds like the context is a mistake.

I understand what I did was wrong
That seems more consistent with a deliberate act.
 

simonw

Established Member
Joined
7 Dec 2009
Messages
1,412
Okay, is there anything you would change with my letter ?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Is this better? Any changes ?

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to sincerely apologize for not purchasing the appropriate ticket for my entire journey. I fully acknowledge that it is my responsibility to ensure I have the correct fare, and I deeply regret any inconvenience my oversight may have caused.

I understand what I did was wrong, and will ensure I have a valid ticket for any future travel.

I would be grateful for the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal proceedings. I am more than willing to pay the outstanding fare, along with any administrative costs incurred.

Once again, I sincerely apologize for any trouble this may have caused, and I am eager to settle the matter promptly.

Regards,
Best to use British spelling, not American. Did use AI?
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,156
Okay, once I have sent the email to them, how long does it take to hear back from them ?
Normally takes a few weeks, but WMT are generally one of the faster train companies to respond.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top