Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!
Hi,
I got a letter today from GTR about travelling on 17 March with an invalid ticket. During the journey, a ticket inspector asked me to show my ticket and railcard. I showed him our Family & Friends Railcard, which I thought was valid, but it was expired. Also, my ticket showed a 26-30 Railcard discount, which wasn’t correct.
My partner booked the ticket on his app and didn’t realise the 26-30 Railcard was selected. We thought we were using the Family & Friends card, and didn’t know it was expired or invalid for me travelling alone.
I’m not sure how to respond, should I mention my partner booked it or just apologise and take responsibility?
I want to settle this and pay any fines. Any advice would be appreciated.
We need to know a bit more information to be able to advise properly.
How many of you were travelling? If you were using a F&F Railcard there has to be at least 1 adult and 1 child
Do you possess a 26-30 Railcard?
Travelling with an invalid ticket is a criminal offence and GTR are entitled to prosecute you in the Magistrates Court if they want to. The good news is they normally offer an out of court settlement to people who co-operate with their investigation and who haven't come to their attention before.
I suggest a short, concise reply that mentions:
- That you are sorry for what has happened
- What you have learned from the incident
- That you are keen to settle the matter without the need for court action
- Offer to pay the outstanding fare and GTR's administrative costs in dealing with the matter
If you are offered a settlement expect to have to pay the cost of the fare avoided at the full Anytime rate with no credit given for the invalid ticket purchased. In addition you will have to pay an administration fee, typically £150.
If you post your draft reply in this thread forum members will proof read it for you.
I was travelling alone , we didn't know that you can’t travel alone also i didn't hold 26 to 30 rail card , my partner selected it while booking tickets and he never realised that he selected a wrong rail card.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Please find the draft below:
I am writing in response to the letter I received regarding the incident that occurred on 17 March, where I travelled on a Thameslink service with a ticket purchased using a 26–30 Railcard discount, which I did not hold at the time.
First and foremost, I wish to express my sincere apologies for my actions. I fully acknowledge that travelling on a discounted ticket without holding a valid and matching Railcard category was wrong and a breach of the railway byelaws. I understand the importance of fare compliance and the impact such oversights can have, including potential revenue loss.
This was not an attempt to defraud the railway, but rather a serious oversight and lapse in judgment on my part. A ticket had been purchased for me using the 26–30 Railcard discount, and unfortunately, I failed to check the details and ensure I was eligible for it. I take full responsibility for this mistake, and I deeply regret it.
Since the incident, I have purchased a valid 16–30 Railcard and have been using it correctly for all of my journeys. I have learned a significant lesson from this experience and assure you that this situation will not happen again.
I am willing to pay all the fare and any penalties that are due as a result of this incident, and I respectfully request the opportunity to settle this matter out of court.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
Please find the draft below:
I am writing in response to the letter I received regarding the incident that occurred on 17 March, where I travelled on a Thameslink service with a ticket purchased using a 26–30 Railcard discount, which I did not hold at the time.
First and foremost, I wish to express my sincere apologies for my actions. I fully acknowledge that travelling on a discounted ticket without holding a valid and matching Railcard category was wrong and a breach of the railway byelaws. I understand the importance of fare compliance and the impact such oversights can have, including potential revenue loss.
This was not an attempt to defraud the railway, but rather a serious oversight and lapse in judgment on my part. A ticket had been purchased for me using the 26–30 Railcard discount, and unfortunately, I failed to check the details and ensure I was eligible for it. I take full responsibility for this mistake, and I deeply regret it.
Since the incident, I have purchased a valid 16–30 Railcard and have been using it correctly for all of my journeys. I have learned a significant lesson from this experience and assure you that this situation will not happen again.
I am willing to pay all the fare and any penalties that are due as a result of this incident, and I respectfully request the opportunity to settle this matter out of court.
I think the letter is ok. A couple of minor suggestions:
Take the bit out about not being an attempt to defraud the railway. Just say this was a serous lapse of judgement...
Finally sentence where you ask for a settlement, I'd say 'I wondered if it would be possible to settle this matter without going to court. I am willing to pay the outstanding fare plus your administrative costs in dealing with this matter'.
Hi Haddees,
thanks for your suggestions please find the updated draft below:
I am writing in response to the letter I received regarding the incident that occurred on 17 March, where I travelled on a Thameslink service with a ticket purchased using a 26–30 Railcard discount, which I did not hold at the time.
First and foremost, I wish to express my sincere apologies for my actions. I fully acknowledge that travelling on a discounted ticket without holding a valid and matching Railcard category was wrong and a breach of the railway byelaws. I understand the importance of fare compliance and the impact such oversights can have, including potential revenue loss.
I acknowledge it was serious oversight and lapse in judgment on my part. A ticket had been purchased for me using the 26–30 Railcard discount, and unfortunately, I failed to check the details and ensure I was eligible for it. I take full responsibility for this mistake, and I deeply regret it.
Since the incident, I have purchased a valid 16–30 Railcard and have been using it correctly for all my journeys. I have learned a significant lesson from this experience and assure you that this situation will not happen again.
I wondered if it would be possible to settle this matter without going to court. I am willing to pay the outstanding fare plus your administrative costs in dealing with this matter.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
I have another question i did purchase few discounted tickets before this incident, should i include that in letter or not?
We are aware of an issue with emails from the Forum to Microsoft-based email accounts (hotmail/outlook/live.com email addresses). This is being looked into currently, thanks for your patience meanwhile.