VauxhallandI
Established Member
I witness a near PF this morning.
The Southbury loop line was down due to a bridge strike.
Folks were being directed to the mainline.
A lady whose first language was not English had her Oyster card checked on the train after boarding at Waltham Cross.
The RPI stated she had not checked in. I understood from her that she had only just put £20 on it and she said she had tapped in.
She got her daughter on the phone and communications were made between the three parties.
On the platform at Tottenham Hale they second RPI was also telling her she was getting a PF.
Once again the woman got the daughter on the phone and this time he understood ten message.
The lady had gone to Theo and tapped in, was then informed of the shut line and walked to Waltham across where she entered the station and tapped in again.
Obviously this was actually recorded as a tap out.
The second RPI decided to "let her off" (grrrr not my favourite statement).
The point I guess is that it is not out of the world to think one should tap in at a station and this is the message drummed in to people with threats of courts etc.
Just a good example that not everyone is a ticketing expert and there is a real world out there that gets a hard time when they aren't really evil.
I was at Cheshunt this morning and a lady approached the gate line and said "I've up just tapped in and the trains are cancelled, I want to leave what should I do?"
The gate line chap said "I don't really know about oyster you'll have to ask someone else"
It's the double standards that winds me up, he's allowed to be clueless but we aren't allowed to forget a single line of the terms.
Why was he on an oyster station if he wasn't trained? You wouldn't do that with a ticket office person or a driver.
The Southbury loop line was down due to a bridge strike.
Folks were being directed to the mainline.
A lady whose first language was not English had her Oyster card checked on the train after boarding at Waltham Cross.
The RPI stated she had not checked in. I understood from her that she had only just put £20 on it and she said she had tapped in.
She got her daughter on the phone and communications were made between the three parties.
On the platform at Tottenham Hale they second RPI was also telling her she was getting a PF.
Once again the woman got the daughter on the phone and this time he understood ten message.
The lady had gone to Theo and tapped in, was then informed of the shut line and walked to Waltham across where she entered the station and tapped in again.
Obviously this was actually recorded as a tap out.
The second RPI decided to "let her off" (grrrr not my favourite statement).
The point I guess is that it is not out of the world to think one should tap in at a station and this is the message drummed in to people with threats of courts etc.
Just a good example that not everyone is a ticketing expert and there is a real world out there that gets a hard time when they aren't really evil.
I was at Cheshunt this morning and a lady approached the gate line and said "I've up just tapped in and the trains are cancelled, I want to leave what should I do?"
The gate line chap said "I don't really know about oyster you'll have to ask someone else"
It's the double standards that winds me up, he's allowed to be clueless but we aren't allowed to forget a single line of the terms.
Why was he on an oyster station if he wasn't trained? You wouldn't do that with a ticket office person or a driver.
I suspect that the same station exit rules only apply to gated stations, although I'd welcome a correction if anyone knows better. So, unfortunately, they're not applicable to the incident Johngill100 saw.