• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Nationwide fault with ticket vending machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

cf111

Established Member
Joined
13 Nov 2012
Messages
1,395
Snapped at Elgin not five minutes ago. Is this Scotland only or all of GB?

We are experiencing a nationwide fault with the ticket vending machines. Please do not use cards to purchase tickets. ScotRail apologise
 

Attachments

  • tmp_20629-2015-11-27 16.56.122319532.jpg
    tmp_20629-2015-11-27 16.56.122319532.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 307
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Traveller54

Member
Joined
21 Feb 2015
Messages
115
Location
Renfrewshire
So if you need to collect your on line bought tickets from a machine, will a manned station counter issue them or will the train conductor accept a note of your booking reference?
 

theironroad

Established Member
Joined
21 Nov 2014
Messages
3,717
Re the op question.
Don't know for sure, but imagine it just applies to Scotland.
 

mbreckers

Member
Joined
20 Jan 2015
Messages
365
It's been ongoing for days, only affecting card purchases at TVM's, does not affect booking office or ticket collection at tvm's

Hopefully it's fixed cause there were also a lot of reports of machines swallowing cards
 

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Joined
2 Jul 2014
Messages
3,386
Location
Calder Valley
So what would happen if you picked up your tickets at a station that only had a TVM and you had to pick your tickets up?
Sam
 

Crossover

Established Member
Joined
4 Jun 2009
Messages
9,493
Location
Yorkshire
So what would happen if you picked up your tickets at a station that only had a TVM and you had to pick your tickets up?
Sam

It doesn't seem like the issue affected collections from TVM's. Though in cases where it does, I have heard of train crew being advised to accept booking confirmations and to collect the tickets at the first available opportunity
 

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Joined
2 Jul 2014
Messages
3,386
Location
Calder Valley
It doesn't seem like the issue affected collections from TVM's. Though in cases where it does, I have heard of train crew being advised to accept booking confirmations and to collect the tickets at the first available opportunity

Ahh right okay thanks for that.
Sam.
 

Chris M

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2012
Messages
1,060
Location
London E14
It doesn't seem like the issue affected collections from TVM's. Though in cases where it does, I have heard of train crew being advised to accept booking confirmations and to collect the tickets at the first available opportunity

A few years ago I was travelling from Warwick to Marylebone, intending to collect my tickets from the machine at Warwick before boarding. The only ticket machine was not working (I have a vague memory it was due to vandalism) and the ticket office was not open. I was advised to board the train and to show my booking reference number if asked - the on-train staff would be aware. Indeed they were and I was just told to collect my tickets at Marylebone, the person manning the gateline at Marylebone was also aware of the issue at Warwick and let me though, letting me know where the ticket machines were. I did collect my tickets, although as I was only making a single journey from Warwick to Marylebone there wasn't actually much point (I didn't think of this until after collecting my tickets though!)
 

azz7008

Member
Joined
17 Nov 2014
Messages
77
A few years ago I was travelling from Warwick to Marylebone, intending to collect my tickets from the machine at Warwick before boarding. The only ticket machine was not working (I have a vague memory it was due to vandalism) and the ticket office was not open. I was advised to board the train and to show my booking reference number if asked - the on-train staff would be aware. Indeed they were and I was just told to collect my tickets at Marylebone, the person manning the gateline at Marylebone was also aware of the issue at Warwick and let me though, letting me know where the ticket machines were. I did collect my tickets, although as I was only making a single journey from Warwick to Marylebone there wasn't actually much point (I didn't think of this until after collecting my tickets though!)


Yes I can attest to this having done it from a LM service from Warwick to moor street! Here's the weird part, the booking office was open but she refused to print my tickets as they were for collection from the TVM.

God knows why there is only 1 TVM at Warwick, it's out very often and the booking office is often shut. Then you compare to down the road at Warwick Parkway and there is no less than 4 TVM'S.
 

3141

Established Member
Joined
1 Apr 2012
Messages
2,124
Location
Whitchurch, Hampshire
My experience of the problem of collecting tickets in advance when the TVM turned out not to be working was at Overton. I phoned SWT and the person I spoke to said that as the train from Overton was booked to wait at Basingstoke for three minutes I should board my train, explain to the guard if necessary why I did not have a ticket, alight at Basingstoke, go to one of the Basingstoke TVMs, or to the booking office, get my tickets, return to the platform and re-board the train. I questioned the feasibility of this advice, on the basis that the necessary steps were likely to take more than three minutes, he hadn't allowed for the time it might take to explain my situation to the person in the barriers at Basingstoke or for possible queues at the TVMs, I had connections to catch in London, and various other factors which I considered made his advice unrealistic. In the end he agreed it might be more practical to sort things out at Waterloo. Luckily by the day of travel the machine was working again.
 

me123

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2007
Messages
8,510
According to the Scotrail Twitter feed it was fixed hours ago

Was still happening today at Livingston North. Message on the boards asking passengers not to use the machines (it mentioned that the issue was still "nationwide"). The machines themselves were out of use. And there was a miserable looking woman hiding from the rain in the shelter on Platform 2, who I think may have been selling tickets.

Nothing on the ****ter feed or nothing on the website as far as I can see since the problem was claimed to be fixed yesterday.
 
Last edited:

CC 72100

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2012
Messages
3,851
Whenever the tvms go down at a specific station, a message is often sent out on the relevant systems advising that customers will likely be travelling with booking references only.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top