py_megapixel
Established Member
With the huge effect the pandemic has had on the railways, franchisees are struggling, and probably will be for some time.
So one would assume that bidding for rail franchises is incredibly unattractive. I personally wouldn't be surprised if we get to a point where simply nobody will bid for some or all franchises
So what can the DfT do? Simply write franchise agreements which pay private operators huge premiums, to make them artificially attractive? Surely not, because that displeases both sides of the debate. Those who are more right-leaning, and who might ordinarily support privatisation, are annoyed because public funds are being wasted, and those who are more left-leaning, and who might ordinarily support nationalisation, are annoyed for the same reason, but additionally because the railways are still nominally private.
So what does that leave? All I can think of, other than just the trains not running, is that DfT takes control of the service - presumably via the OLR - in the same way that they have when franchises have defaulted or performed poorly. In the case of the VTEC and ARN these arrangements seem to be continuing indefinitely.
So it seems entirely possible that we could end up in a situation where the railways slip into nationalisation through franchises being gradually taken out of private hands, not as part of any sort of plan to nationalise the railways, but accidentally, as a result of there being no other option.
Now just to be clear - although I generally lean slightly towards the nationalisation side of the debate, I don't want this to happen!!! If it did, then the railways will probably be run on the basis of "no growth" in a cost-cut fashion, indefinitely. But I still think it could happen.
So one would assume that bidding for rail franchises is incredibly unattractive. I personally wouldn't be surprised if we get to a point where simply nobody will bid for some or all franchises
So what can the DfT do? Simply write franchise agreements which pay private operators huge premiums, to make them artificially attractive? Surely not, because that displeases both sides of the debate. Those who are more right-leaning, and who might ordinarily support privatisation, are annoyed because public funds are being wasted, and those who are more left-leaning, and who might ordinarily support nationalisation, are annoyed for the same reason, but additionally because the railways are still nominally private.
So what does that leave? All I can think of, other than just the trains not running, is that DfT takes control of the service - presumably via the OLR - in the same way that they have when franchises have defaulted or performed poorly. In the case of the VTEC and ARN these arrangements seem to be continuing indefinitely.
DfT - Department for Transport
OLR - Operator of Last Resort
VTEC - Virgin Trains East Coast
ARN - Arriva Rail North
OLR - Operator of Last Resort
VTEC - Virgin Trains East Coast
ARN - Arriva Rail North
So it seems entirely possible that we could end up in a situation where the railways slip into nationalisation through franchises being gradually taken out of private hands, not as part of any sort of plan to nationalise the railways, but accidentally, as a result of there being no other option.
Now just to be clear - although I generally lean slightly towards the nationalisation side of the debate, I don't want this to happen!!! If it did, then the railways will probably be run on the basis of "no growth" in a cost-cut fashion, indefinitely. But I still think it could happen.