• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Rail enquiries vs Southern mixing deck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bijgc

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2013
Messages
34
Hi there, Southern's mixingdeck will sell (and produce itineraries for) a season between Norbury and St Pancras routed to 'go via' East Croydon. NRE tells me that I need 2 tickets for this journey, so I presume a season isn't valid as this would only be one ticket? Would anyone be able to let me know who's got it right in this case?

Thanks a lot!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LexyBoy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
4,478
Location
North of the rivers
I think NRE is correct - there is no mapped route involving East Croydon, it it more than 3 miles longer than the shortest route, and there don't appear to be any relevant easements.
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
Using eNRT mileages, going via East Croydon is 4.75 miles longer than the shortest route.

I suspect that this is due to WebTIS allowing 5 miles more than the shortest route, when the instructions only say to allow 3 miles, to allow more benefit of the doubt due to rounding errors. NRE presumably uses different mileage data (there are a few sources), or has a lower tolerance.
 

kieron

Established Member
Joined
22 Mar 2012
Messages
3,291
Location
Connah's Quay
Hi there, Southern's mixingdeck will sell (and produce itineraries for) a season between Norbury and St Pancras routed to 'go via' East Croydon. NRE tells me that I need 2 tickets for this journey, so I presume a season isn't valid as this would only be one ticket? Would anyone be able to let me know who's got it right in this case?
I don't think it's a question of right or wrong, but of what is likely to happen if you use such a ticket.

If you have a screenshot of the Southern web site which shows that they will sell such a season ticket for such a route, this should make it easier to explain why you're there with that ticket to any sceptical staff you encounter.

Incidentally, there are a number of stations north of St. Pancras to which the season tickets are a little cheaper than the one you were looking at (£936 p.a. rather than £956). I don't know if NRE would show a journey from Norbury to any of them as being valid via East Croydon, but I hope they would.
I suspect that this is due to WebTIS allowing 5 miles more than the shortest route, when the instructions only say to allow 3 miles, to allow more benefit of the doubt due to rounding errors.
The instructions don't say that now, and haven't done since November. The only references to 3 miles in the routeing guide are now to allow routes where the origin and destination stations have a common routeing point, and where the journey doesn't have both origin and destination routeing points (for any reason).

I was looking at Norbury-Finsbury Park routes, and I noticed that some which are within 3 miles of the shortest route are shown as invalid on one ticket on NRE. This isn't wrong, though.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top