• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Rail Enquiries App

Status
Not open for further replies.

freddie1729

Member
Joined
24 Nov 2017
Messages
177
I begrudgingly use the NRE app on iOS, because I've found from experience that it's the most reliable source of information. Happy for anyone to correct me if this is no longer the case.

The app is usable so we shouldn't be too harsh I suppose!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
The app is bad enough, but the website isn't exactly much better either. It's a shame they haven't invested in these properly.
One advantage of the app over the Web Site is the ability to go back in time for live departures, save for when it turns midnight. Then you can't.
 

JaJaWa

Established Member
Joined
14 Feb 2013
Messages
1,734
Location
⠀
I begrudgingly use the NRE app on iOS, because I've found from experience that it's the most reliable source of information. Happy for anyone to correct me if this is no longer the case.

The app is usable so we shouldn't be too harsh I suppose!
ByTrain should use the same data as far as I know.
 

infobleep

On Moderation
Joined
27 Feb 2011
Messages
13,453
Here is another issue with the app. If a member of staff updates a live departure board and inserts a station by mistake, it doesn't get removed if they cancel the station.

For example on the 05:12 Portsmouth Harbour to Waterloo service today it has the train going to Woking and then back to Guildford. Now given other trains are going to Woking and not back to Guildford, so I can't image this is really what is happening. Edit

In this case the station isn't cancelled yet but were it to be, it would still show up as a cancelled station. I've had times in the past where there has been really odd station combinations, with stations duplicated, with some of them cancelled. Edit: that is really what is happening so just imagine they didn't mean the train to do that or changes their mind and the station was cancelled.

I appreciate why stations cancelled are needed to be shown but if its one out of order, staff should be able to fully remove it in my opinion.

As a nerd it makes it interesting as it see odd timings showing up in the general departures. Today it was a 6:45 Guildford to Waterloo. Surely no such service. Here is a screenshot.
Screenshot_20200130-065341_National Rail~2.jpg
 

DJBut

Member
Joined
2 Mar 2017
Messages
8
I can recommend FASTEROUTE as an excellent departure/arrival app for Android users. It is simple and easy to use.
- Search for a particular station or see nearby stations.
- Know which platform to go to and how long until your train departs.
- See at a glance if your train is on time, late or cancelled.
- Check how reliable a particular train is based upon past performance*.
- Filter trains by the stations they stop at.
- Save your favourite stations and filters.
- Follow trains in real-time, see stopping stations and the reasons for delays and cancellations.
There are no annoying ads and the app is free.
 

Re 4/4

Member
Joined
30 Jun 2018
Messages
226
Location
Bristol
I just want a simple, clean, well-designed lightweight app that simply gives me platforms & train times.

Realtimetrains, while 'just' a website, is simple, lightweight, mobile friendly and I find it excellent for times and platforms.
 

IamTrainsYT

Member
Joined
8 Dec 2018
Messages
1,100
Location
Manchester
Is anyone else having problems with this app? On my Samsung A70 (Android 9) it opens and immediately crashes. It was fine on my old phone, but that was the pre December 13 2019 version.
The exact same thing happens to me with the “Northern Fail” app on my iPhone XR.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top