• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Rail cheapest fare finder

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomoufc

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2014
Messages
404
I used to find National Rail cheapest fare finder occasionally very useful for specifying the cheapest tickets between destination pairs within set time parameters. This could be combined with other fare searching tools to find best value tickets.

But it seems to have disspeared, and other 'cheapest fare finders' don't seem to offer quite the same functionality (eg showing what is literally the cheapest ticket from Stockport to Newport next Wednesday, without having to look through lots of departures).

Has it really gone, and if so are there any exact equivalents?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Par

Member
Joined
26 Aug 2009
Messages
352
Still doesn’t offer the cheapest ticket like Rovers
It will find such tickets, even if it won’t allow you to subsequently purchase them.

I’ll likely be using the Lancashire Day Ranger next month to make the journey as seen below, but will be buying the ticket on the day. I don’t belief this ticket can be purchased online, although I’m happy to be corrected if someone can advise otherwise.
 

Attachments

  • CE38C965-F539-4D0B-916D-62F64CF8E8BA.png
    CE38C965-F539-4D0B-916D-62F64CF8E8BA.png
    677.2 KB · Views: 41

tomoufc

Member
Joined
12 Dec 2014
Messages
404

nedchester

Established Member
Joined
28 May 2008
Messages
2,093
It will find such tickets, even if it won’t allow you to subsequently purchase them.

I’ll likely be using the Lancashire Day Ranger next month to make the journey as seen below, but will be buying the ticket on the day. I don’t belief this ticket can be purchased online, although I’m happy to be corrected if someone can advise otherwise.
Try Helsby to Hexham and it doesn’t come back with a North West Rover…..
 

ExpressTrain

Member
Joined
30 Jul 2018
Messages
49
Thanks so much. Yes, it seems impossible to find on the page. How did you get it, out of interest?
You’re welcome. I couldn't actually find it by looking through the website, so I searched Google. Looking for “national rail cheapest fare finder” on Google took me to the NRE Journey Planner page (presumably this used to be the old homepage) which had a link to the cheap fare finder.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top