• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Rail and ticket prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2009
Messages
4,478
Location
North of the rivers
I like and trust NRE more than any TOC site, though this is probably partly out of familiarity. Just one example would be a journey for which GroupSave is available - NRE will automatically apply it, whilst FGW's site (for instance) doesn't suggest it or even offer it (it may now, I remember this from a while ago).

I have been quoted the price for an Off-Peak ticket when a Super Off-Peak was valid (at a ticket office) - if I hadn't checked the price I might well have accepted this rather than querying the price and being sold the correct ticket.

NRE does have some oddities though - the inability until recently to look up Travelcards, and the suggestion on some routes to use rather interesting tickets. Put Reading to London in - hardly an unusual trip! - and it suggests a ticket labelled as "Off Peak" at £15.50. Go to the ticket office and ask for a cheap day return and it'll cost you £16.00 though, so I can see this leading to irritation. (Not to mention it need only cost a few pounds less than either).

Out of curiosty, what are the rights of the passenger here? If you know 100% the price of the ticket and the guard will not sell you that ticket, what can you actually do? It seems hugely unfair to have to purchase the more expensive ticket then try to claim a refund (which is what I would assume the offical line is).

You can ask for an Unpaid Fares Notice, which is somewhat easier to contest (since the TOC doesn't have your money) and means you don't hand over any cash at the time. However as Arriva 175's grumble indicates, you should be very, very sure of yourself as there are so many reasons why the fare you think is right may not be.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,534
Location
LBK
As I have said a few times before, most of the time railway staff are very helpful, knowegable etc etc. But there are some who really should not be working in a customer facing job at all. I have no problem if its just lack of training, or a genuine mistake. But I do have a problem when staff are rude, fail to take any note of what I am saying and accuse me of lying.

Working front-line on the railway is a tough job, but you're right - there will always be poorly trained or cynical staff. These exist in every industry, but the consequences to a railway passenger of poor advice, missold tickets are much higher than customers of other industries.
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
....As a conductor I find National Rail to be infuriating for mis information at the best of times and find it insulting that despite my 6 months of training im told I know nothing by people who are ill advised. Are there other users who have had similar arguments?

All the time, not just from NRES either. Some are unable to say what site they were using, what the ticket is called and in some cases what they think the fare actually is! Usually I find they have simply looked at the bit that says "Fares from.....", which is misleading imo.

I even have people telling me that "the other chap" sold it cheaper "last time", when I ask what they were sold, if they still have the ticket or when it was sold, miraculously they can't provide any information.

All I can do is say what the cheapest I can offer is and that if they think they can get it cheaper online (or somewhere else), to get it online (or somewhere else). Sometimes it appears they checked the fare weeks ago, but didn't buy it and think they should still pay that price.
 

SS4

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2011
Messages
8,589
Location
Birmingham
National Rail is now telling me that I can travel on both Virgin and XC services with a (London Midland) super off-peak ticket.

As it just says super-off-peak on the web-page, how is the passenger supposed to know that it isn't valid? (until they try and buy and have an argument with a guard).

View attachment 6827View attachment 6828
I wonder if I go to the ticket office and ask for a super-off-peak to Tamworth they will warn me not to travel on Virgin and XC?

Don't LM price that particular journey though which would make it the Any Permitted super off peak?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top