On the weather, the overall average is that very cold winters have been increasingly less common.
Personally, I would like to be told about reasonable worst case scenarios, in the same way I would like to be told the chances of a medical procedure being unsuccessful and/or the possible side effects. I may not be able to do anything about it happening but I can at least make some reasonable preparations to mitigate some of the impacts.
With all due respect, how is this significantly different to a local distribution network failure. I experienced this during the reasonable warm weather in the autumn of last year (2022). Okay, the electricity was only off for about three hours (a blown fuse is what the company publicly put on their website). And although I was not completely ready for it, it only took a couple of minutes to grab a rechargeable light. Laptop battery was already fully charged. And I could still use my mobile to access the internet. So it was not too bad.
But, there are places (e.g, in the countryside) where it’s not unknown for overhead pole routes to suffer problems (the 33kV ones make a bit of a mess of the rail head and fry the track circuit equipment, don’t ask how I know). Especially in winter…
Careful, we sometimes get hail stones or snow showers in May or even in our so called summer!
Back to railways, a lot of railway infrastructure has backup generators. Most modern (since the late 1960s depending on where you are) signalling has ‘standby’ diesel generator sets to supply the signalling systems.
Some larger stations have ‘standby’ diesel generator sets to supply ‘essential’ services such as station lighting.
Critical junctions very occasionally may even have a ‘standby’ diesel generator set for the electric point heating (or maybe the installation I saw was only experimental). Or a socket ready for a mobile generator to connect to.
Obviously electric only trains are dead during a power failure, but other types can continue to operate if the signalling system is operational.
There are various civilian infrastructure or properties that also have backup generators for either essential services only, or for all their requirements. Some internet data centres do for example.
I’ve even seen office blocks with backup generators (although they may not work in practice if they don’t get maintained).