• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Express West Midlands Bus Strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
It's an interesting turn in events and one I am sure NX will use in their negotiations. I am not sure how it stands with newly recruited drivers and whether they can strike if they apply during industrial action. Another issue will be that new drivers are trained by experienced drivers on such things as route learning, driving in service and other on the job aspects so I am not sure the resource will be in place once applicants have gained a licence. The company does currently have a huge number of support staff sitting around doing nothing so whether they will be utilised to provide such training if capable remains to be seen. I understand negotiations started at 11am today so as a driver I should have some form of an official update by COP today.

I have seen several training buses out since the strike began, including another one this morning.

Another factor is public opinon, because a driver for Diamond Buses is warning that it will turn against the striking drivers once the strike is over, especially if there is no improvement to service reliability.

I would never condone abuse of bus drivers whatever the circumstances, but those who are in favour of continuing the strike (Yes, Sharon Graham, I am looking at you) need to understand that any further increase in the pay offer will have been won at the expense of passengers who are either unable to get to work, school or medical appointments, or are faced with having to pay extortionate taxi fares because there are no buses running.

I wonder what the terms and conditions are like at Diamond Buses compared to National Express West Midlands, and whether Diamond Buses have the same level of staff shortages and journey cancellations.


Bus driver warns striking National Express rivals they will return to passenger fury​

The Diamond Bus driver said he was 'mentally and physically exhausted' due to an increase in customer demand

A bus driver warned National Express rivals they faced the wrath of passengers when they returned to work as strike action crippled the Midlands. The Diamond Bus driver, who would not be named, said he was 'mentally and physically exhausted' amid the industrial action at the region's biggest network.

National Express bus drivers were striking for a third day today, Wednesday, March 22, but Diamond Bus, which also covers the West Midlands, was operating normally. As a result, the Walsall-based driver said he was feeling the pressure.

He told BirminghamLive an increase in passenger demand had affecting him negatively and sent a warning to his National Express counterparts, some of whom have previously complained about unruly passengers. He said: "If National Express drivers were abused before the strike, wait until they go back to work."

The stressed driver claimed passengers "did not support" the industrial action. "I have to drive past the Walsall picket line around 20 times a day, I don't beep my horn, I don't wave, as I don't support what they are doing," he said.

"To put themselves above nurses and care workers is disgusting. They knew what they were getting into when they went into the job.

"The NX drivers are selfish; the pay offer they have on the table is superb. I blame the union."

On how the strike action was affecting him, he added: "This strike is affecting me mentally and physically due to the extra workload. Passengers do not support the strike.

"All I can say is, if NX drivers were abused before the strike, wait until they go back to work."

Diamond Bus tweeted this morning: "Our services are continuing to operate as normal. We're working hard to keep customers old and new moving. Some services may be busier than normal, so please consider leaving extra time for your journey."

Unite members at National Express rejected a 14 per cent pay offer said by the union to have come with "more strings than a grand piano". The walkout began on Monday and will run indefinitely.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DriverNX

Member
Joined
7 Mar 2023
Messages
35
Location
Walsall
I have seen several training buses out since the strike began, including another one this morning.

Another factor is public opinon, because a driver for Diamond Buses is warning that it will turn against the striking drivers once the strike is over, especially if there is no improvement to service reliability.

I would never condone abuse of bus drivers whatever the circumstances, but those who are in favour of continuing the strike (Yes, Sharon Graham, I am looking at you) need to understand that any further increase in the pay offer will have been won at the expense of passengers who are either unable to get to work, school or medical appointments, or are faced with having to pay extortionate taxi fares because there are no buses running.

I wonder what the terms and conditions are like at Diamond Buses compared to National Express West Midlands, and whether Diamond Buses have the same level of staff shortages and journey cancellations.

I know Diamond tend to pay considerably less to drivers, NXWM is by far the higher paying operator in the area. Many drivers who lose their job in our company due to disciplinary action go on to be employed at Diamond. It seems they are not as strict as a company but as I say, the pay is considerably less.
 

Mwanesh

Member
Joined
14 May 2016
Messages
948
There you go folks. As soon as they go to work. They have to really work their socks off. The public will expect the service to improve. I have an issue with blocking bus depots. If those who want to work can get in let them work.
 
Joined
15 Sep 2019
Messages
734
Location
Back in Geordieland!
There you go folks. As soon as they go to work. They have to really work their socks off. The public will expect the service to improve. I have an issue with blocking bus depots. If those who want to work can get in let them work.
They will have to drive their buses as usual. Not sure where you get the rest from.
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
The Birmingham Mail is reporting that there has been an improved pay offer of 16.2%, in a bid to end the strike.

The letter from the company, a photo of which is included in the article, says that the union is committed to putting this offer to a ballot of its members with "..Unite's full recommendation for acceptance..". The letter also mentions improvement to accident pay, assault pay and overtime rates.

I sincerely hope that a ballot can take place as soon as possible, and that the drivers will vote to accept it.

All in all, a very hopeful sign that the end of this strike is in sight.


National Express shock offer 16.2% to drivers in new deal​

Striking drivers turned down 14.3% on Saturday

Striking bus drivers have been offered 16.2% by National Express in an attempt to end the industrial action which has drawn the region to a halt. The company has released a statement confirming Unite will recommend their members accept the deal.

The LDRS has seen a letter addressed to Unite members by National Express UK CEO Tom Staples, notifying them of the new deal.

National Express have offered a 16.2% increase on all current driver pay rates, up from the 14.3% which was turned down in a ballot with a 71% turn out.

The firm have also committed to:
  • Formalising existing interim overtime rates
  • Accident pay to be paid at 12 week average pay
  • Three times the M6 rate for all house worked on Christmas Eve, Boxing Day, New Year's Eve day, and New Year's Day
  • A commitment to review enhancements when the new terms and conditions have been fully implemented
National Express has a shortage of around 300 drivers, Unite claims, which is impacting regular services. The trade union says buses that should be on the road are being stranded in depots.
 

Liam L

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2020
Messages
1,425
Location
Birmingham
The Birmingham Mail is reporting that there has been an improved pay offer of 16.2%, in a bid to end the strike.

The letter from the company, a photo of which is included in the article, says that the union is committed to putting this offer to a ballot of its members with "..Unite's full recommendation for acceptance..". The letter also mentions improvement to accident pay, assault pay and overtime rates.

I sincerely hope that a ballot can take place as soon as possible, and that the drivers will vote to accept it.

All in all, a very hopeful sign that the end of this strike is in sight.


Results Saturday, normal service Sunday if accepted I believe.
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
Results Saturday, normal service Sunday if accepted I believe.

I do hope so.

Those who are minded to refuse this offer, despite the union recommending that they accept it, need to consider what further increases they can reasonably expect to achieve by continuing the strike, how long they would need to continue the strike for, as well as the considerable inconvenience they are causing to members of the public, (their customers) some of whom are on low incomes and cannot afford the rip off prices that taxi firms are charging.
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
I think the proof of how successful the offer is will be in whether it reduces the "churn rate" (ie. the percentage of drivers who resign in any given period of 12 months) and the number of journeys cancelled due to a shortage of drivers.

Both the company and the union should monitor this over the coming year to see whether the pay offer has had the desired effect.

EDIT

National Express are now saying that if the offer is accepted, a reduced service will operate on Sunday, with services returning to normal from Monday


Exactly when buses could be running normally again as fresh pay offer paves way for breakthrough​

Latest pay offer brings strongest hint yet that strikes could come to an end

A fresh pay offer by National Express (NX) to drivers has paved the way for a breakthrough to end the strikes which have crippled the West Midlands transport network this week. Drivers are now being offered a huge 16.2% pay rise in a bid to get them back to work and end the indefinite strikes which have caused travel chaos for thousands.

Crucially, NX has said the Unite union will recommend its members accept the deal to end the dispute, though Unite said it will not be commenting ahead of the ballot which will take place on Friday and Saturday. It provides the strongest hint yet that industrial action could be coming to an end.

The company said there would be a reduced service on Sunday even if drivers accept the offer, with things returning to normal on Monday in time for the working week. It would come as a huge relief for thousands of people across the region who rely on buses and have seen their daily routines thrown into chaos this week.

An NX West Midlands spokesperson said: “We are very pleased to have reached an agreement with Unite that is going to be fully recommended to its members and will be balloted on Friday and Saturday. Subject to a positive ballot, we are intending to operate a reduced service from Sunday, March 26 and a normal service from Monday, March 27. We are very sorry to customers for the disruption this week.”

The spokesperson added: “This is a very fair and decent offer - among the best pay rises of any sector, anywhere in the country. We encourage all our drivers to accept the offer and get the West Midlands moving again.”

Unite national lead officer Onay Kasab said: “Following negotiations today, National Express put forward an improved pay offer which will be put to our members in a vote over the next two days. Unite will be making no further comments during the ballot period.”
 
Last edited:

DriverNX

Member
Joined
7 Mar 2023
Messages
35
Location
Walsall
Hi All, I'd imagine by now most will have seen the improved offer made to Unite members due to it being almost immediately publicised. Unite have recommended the revised offer to be accepted. If this is the case I am almost certain the offer will be accepted. The plan is for near to normal service for Sunday and then back to normal for Monday. The new offer is 27p more per hour than the last offer. This equated to £2 a day. I hope the union members feel it was worth losing gross earnings of £55 a day (plus overtime for many, of £50 a day) for a week in order to achieve an additional £2 per day.
 

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
22 Jan 2014
Messages
5,628
Location
Birmingham
I hope the union members feel it was worth losing gross earnings of £55 a day (plus overtime for many, of £50 a day) for a week in order to achieve an additional £2 per day.
Fair point, though some will have just been glad for a breather! I've been on the 51 every day this week and noticed quite a few folk talking about the strike to each other / to the driver - does seem that the public understand the reasons for the strike and are supportive (YMMV of course). Hope the offer gets accepted.
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
Fair point, though some will have just been glad for a breather! I've been on the 51 every day this week and noticed quite a few folk talking about the strike to each other / to the driver - does seem that the public understand the reasons for the strike and are supportive (YMMV of course). Hope the offer gets accepted.

If the offer is rejected (unlikely it would seem) then I think the drivers will lose public support, first because of the considerable inconvenience caused by the strike, and second because many people are having to make do with a lot less than 16.2% despite suffering the same cost of living pressures.

As I said earlier, the test of whether the revised pay offer is working will be whether it reduces the number of drivers leaving, and journeys cancelled due to staff shortages.
 

Kevpbus

Member
Joined
1 Mar 2018
Messages
20
I am trying to get my head around what this means. The headline offer to drivers is 16.2% and earlier in the thread engineers settled at 14%. Staffing costs typically represent 45-50% of all costs, so this is a huge increase to have to cover.

I recall that last year, a three year fare freeze was agreed, so covering some of the costs through fare increases is not an option, apart from the few routes that go outside of WM.

If staffing can be resolved, there could be some revenue increase through better services with the more modern fleet. The welcome bus priority measures will assist this by offering faster travel but this can only represent a small part of the network.

Post-Covid travel is still reduced compared to pre-pandemic, although there is probably some protection of concessionary reimbursement for now.

However, this will still leave a large gap in operator finances. The obvious conclusion is therefore that a review of routes and frequencies will be required.
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
I am trying to get my head around what this means. The headline offer to drivers is 16.2% and earlier in the thread engineers settled at 14%. Staffing costs typically represent 45-50% of all costs, so this is a huge increase to have to cover.

I recall that last year, a three year fare freeze was agreed, so covering some of the costs through fare increases is not an option, apart from the few routes that go outside of WM.

If staffing can be resolved, there could be some revenue increase through better services with the more modern fleet. The welcome bus priority measures will assist this by offering faster travel but this can only represent a small part of the network.

Post-Covid travel is still reduced compared to pre-pandemic, although there is probably some protection of concessionary reimbursement for now.

However, this will still leave a large gap in operator finances. The obvious conclusion is therefore that a review of routes and frequencies will be required.

A lot depends on whether the company can reduce driver turnover (ie. the number of drivers leaving each year) because there are costs involved in recruiting and training staff.

As @DriverNX has said, the company also has to pay penalties to Transport for the West Midlands if a bus journey can't be operated due to staff shortages, so if more drivers leads to a more reliable service, then there are cost savings to be made there.

More reliable services can also lead to more people travelling, with a consequent increase in revenue.

They may have to ditch the fares freeze though, which I think is a bad idea personally.

Whilst it is nice to have fares fixed for several years, the costs of operating a bus service do not stay fixed for the same period, which then makes the bus company less profitable. This gives rise to cost pressures leading to cuts in services.

You only have to look at the consequences of Sadiq Khan's fare freeze in London - there have been cuts to services and reduced frequencies in recent years, and a major overhaul of services later this year will lead to entire routes being scrapped and a reduction in overall mileage of about 5%.

So I think fares should rise in line with inflation or average incomes each year.

Whilst no-one likes increased costs, the longer the fares freeze goes on, the bigger the increase the comes at the end of the fares freeze.
 

DriverNX

Member
Joined
7 Mar 2023
Messages
35
Location
Walsall
I think although many of my colleagues might feel victorious now in the fact that they will have spent 6 days losing pay to gain 27p will one day soon be replaced with the realisation that 1. Less profitable or loss making routes covered by the operator may be cut. 2. We will now see a huge influx of new drivers to the industry which will hamper the overtime opportunities for many drivers who live for their overtime.

As a driver I feel happy to be receiving such a high salary for a job that is relatively simple with no real KPIs other than to drive safely. I do worry however that my job may no longer be as secure as it previously was, the main reason I got a job here.
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
I think although many of my colleagues might feel victorious now in the fact that they will have spent 6 days losing pay to gain 27p will one day soon be replaced with the realisation that 1. Less profitable or loss making routes covered by the operator may be cut. 2. We will now see a huge influx of new drivers to the industry which will hamper the overtime opportunities for many drivers who live for their overtime.

As a driver I feel happy to be receiving such a high salary for a job that is relatively simple with no real KPIs other than to drive safely. I do worry however that my job may no longer be as secure as it previously was, the main reason I got a job here.

The company might save some money if it can cover more of the duties at normal rates of pay rather than at overtime rates.

This will help to compensate for the increase in the pay offer.

Those drivers who rely on overtime will be the ones who lose out.
 

172007

Member
Joined
2 Jan 2021
Messages
1,166
Location
West Mids
Hi All, I'd imagine by now most will have seen the improved offer made to Unite members due to it being almost immediately publicised. Unite have recommended the revised offer to be accepted. If this is the case I am almost certain the offer will be accepted. The plan is for near to normal service for Sunday and then back to normal for Monday. The new offer is 27p more per hour than the last offer. This equated to £2 a day. I hope the union members feel it was worth losing gross earnings of £55 a day (plus overtime for many, of £50 a day) for a week in order to achieve an additional £2 per day.
Don't forget compounding in subsequent pay increases. In 20 years that extra £2 may well blitz the sacrifice of pay this week.
 
Joined
15 Sep 2019
Messages
734
Location
Back in Geordieland!
If the union and the drivers hadn't been prepared to make a stand in the first place, they would have received a fraction of the pay rise they are now getting. 2 quid a day is over 500 a year based on a five day week, plus it's compounded into every future pay rise.
 

Liam L

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2020
Messages
1,425
Location
Birmingham
As soon as they go to work. They have to really work their socks off.
I think most will just be grateful to have the service back, Not sure what else the drivers can do expect do their jobs as they did before?
 

david1212

Established Member
Joined
9 Apr 2020
Messages
1,755
Location
Midlands
I think although many of my colleagues might feel victorious now in the fact that they will have spent 6 days losing pay to gain 27p will one day soon be replaced with the realisation that 1. Less profitable or loss making routes covered by the operator may be cut. 2. We will now see a huge influx of new drivers to the industry which will hamper the overtime opportunities for many drivers who live for their overtime.

As a driver I feel happy to be receiving such a high salary for a job that is relatively simple with no real KPIs other than to drive safely. I do worry however that my job may no longer be as secure as it previously was, the main reason I got a job here.

Over a month of typical shift rosters for a full time employee how many overtime hours can be worked within the drivers hours legislation?

As to job security, if in time routes or service intervals are cut in reality, would the resulting staff reduction simply be covered by not recruiting and training? While, if accepted, this pay increase ought to reduce staff turnover realistically is it ever likely to be very low i.e. most just retirement, health problems and similar so there are redundancies?
 

Bluejays

Member
Joined
19 Sep 2017
Messages
570
If I were an overall wearing maintenance engineer (and I have been) living in these tough times and I managed to secure a 14.3% rise, while all round people with (imho) far harder jobs with far greater benefit to society are counting themselves lucky to get 5%, and even then only after turning a significant proportion of the public against them for not just appearing to be greedy but downright cruel to their fellow man, I would honestly feel deeply ashamed.
If you wish to feel ashamed of yourself that's your right . I'm not sure why the bus engineers should feel ashamed of themselves though, seems a quite ridiculous thing to say

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I think although many of my colleagues might feel victorious now in the fact that they will have spent 6 days losing pay to gain 27p will one day soon be replaced with the realisation that 1. Less profitable or loss making routes covered by the operator may be cut. 2. We will now see a huge influx of new drivers to the industry which will hamper the overtime opportunities for many drivers who live for their overtime.

As a driver I feel happy to be receiving such a high salary for a job that is relatively simple with no real KPIs other than to drive safely. I do worry however that my job may no longer be as secure as it previously was, the main reason I got a job here.
The increase gained will cover a fair few days of lost overtime , if that scenario does occur
 
Last edited:

Typhoon

Established Member
Joined
2 Nov 2017
Messages
3,540
Location
Kent
If I were an overall wearing maintenance engineer (and I have been) living in these tough times and I managed to secure a 14.3% rise, while all round people with (imho) far harder jobs with far greater benefit to society are counting themselves lucky to get 5%, and even then only after turning a significant proportion of the public against them for not just appearing to be greedy but downright cruel to their fellow man, I would honestly feel deeply ashamed.

If you wish to feel ashamed of yourself that's your right . I'm not sure why the bus engineers should feel ashamed of themselves though, seems a quite ridiculous thing to say
Percentages can be deceptive. Anyone earning, say, half a million, and calling for wage restraint of, say, half the rate of inflation (just over 5%) will get a pay increase of more than a bus engineer takes home in total, When those earning extravagant salaries start practicing real wage restraint, I might start to feel deeply ashamed at getting 14.3% if I was a bus engineer but they don't (well most of them don't).
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
85% Acceptance

15% Rejection

Buses will be back to normal Monday​

This is very good news, whatever your point of view about the strike.

I do wonder what those 15% who rejected the deal hoped they could achieve though.

Lets just hope that it leads to fewer drivers leaving the company, fewer journeys cancelled due to staff shortages, and a more reliable service in the future.

Now also reported in the Birmingham Mail.


National Express bus strike ends as drivers vote in favour of huge 16.2 percent pay rise​

BREAKING Bus drivers at National Express West Midlands have voted in favour of the latest pay deal

Striking National Express West Midlands drivers have voted in favour of a 16.2 percent pay rise - bringing days of industrial action and travel chaos across the West Midlands to an end. It means bitter strike action will officially end from from Sunday March 26 now that drivers have accepted the pay deal.

Industrial action began on Monday (March 20) this week, when 3,100 National Express drivers 'downed tools' in a dispute over pay. They previously rejected an 'improved offer' of a 14.3 per cent pay increase.

The agreed 16.2 percent pay increase is among the best pay rises of any sector, National Express said. A spokesperson for National Express West Midlands said this afternoon, March 25: “We are pleased that the drivers have voted in favour of accepting the offer.

We apologise to our customers and the communities we serve for the significant disruption and inconvenience this has caused over the last few weeks. We are pleased to be able to put this behind us and focus on delivering a bus service that customers can rely on.”

They have confirmed normal service will resume on Monday March 27. Unite Union said last week that between 2018 and 2021, average pay at National Express for West Midlands’ bus workers fell by 'six percent in real terms' with the 'gap increasing even further in 2022' due to the jump in inflation. It said a bus drivers' salary starts at £11.80 an hour, rising to £14 after three years of service.

Drivers were offered an 11 percent pay rise, plus a 2.3 percent one-off payment. That was rejected, with an improved offer of 14.3 percent also turned down. A new 16.2 percent pay rise has now been officially accepted.

Today was day six of strike action with another day of limited service for passengers across the city, Solihull, and the wider region.


At the time of writing Unite had not commented.
 

Liam L

Established Member
Joined
19 Jun 2020
Messages
1,425
Location
Birmingham
Excellent news that the deal went through!

Anyone got any ideas on what sort of service will be offered tomorrow yet or still being finalised?
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
Excellent news that the deal went through!

Anyone got any ideas on what sort of service will be offered tomorrow yet or still being finalised?

There is nothing on the bus company website or social media at the moment.

I guess we will just have to wait and see.

The company also say they are "aiming" for a normal service on Monday, which gives the impression that there still might be some gaps in service.

EDIT

I see that the "reduced service" they are planning to operate for the morning of Sunday 26th March is no better than the service that has been operating every day during the strike.

This is absolutely pathetic, and indicates a "...couldn't be bothered..." attitude on the part of the company.

If the strike is over, why on earth can't they operate something approaching a normal service on Sunday?

No doubt they are getting their excuses ready as to why a normal service can't be operated on Monday as well.
 
Last edited:

GusB

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2016
Messages
8,165
Location
Elginshire
As the dispute now seems to be settled (for the moment), we'll draw the thread to a close.

Once again, I'd like to thank everyone for keeping it relatively civil; threads concerning strikes tend to become very toxic after a time and I'm glad that it hasn't happened here.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top