• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

National Express between Liverpool and Abergele

Status
Not open for further replies.

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,650
Location
Merseyside
I am looking at using the once-daily National Express between Liverpool and Abergele and back. This will be to visit family at Christmas. I should be returning to make another trip over New Year.

My rationale is I can book this now and have some certainty and not have to worry about rail strikes. Is this section of the route likely to be busy? I understand it is an extension of the Manchester to Liverpool service on to Llandudno.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2006
Messages
6,727
Location
Milton Keynes
I’d book it asap, as the fares can only go up, I’ve been using National Express for a while to get to Manchester as I’ve completely given up on Avanti
 

markymark2000

On Moderation
Joined
11 May 2015
Messages
5,125
Location
Great Britain
I am looking at using the once-daily National Express between Liverpool and Abergele and back. This will be to visit family at Christmas. I shouldn't be returning to make another trip over New Year.

My rationale is I can book this now and have some certainty and not have to worry about rail strikes. Is this section of the route likely to be busy? I understand it is an extension of the Manchester to Liverpool service on to Llandudno.
It's unlikely to be busy. The route is more of a placement service for Llew Jones to get a bus into Manchester for their London run. It's rarely really busy.
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,650
Location
Merseyside
Thanks guys for your advice and I am glad that this section of the route will not be busy. I could imagine the Liverpool to Manchester section being busy though.

I made a typing error in my original post I should be making a trip at Christmas most likely going on December 24th and coming back on December 27th then again for New Year most likely going on December 31st and coming back on January 2nd.

This allows me to have the certainty that I will be travelling and not even having to worry about rail strikes. Hopefully this National Express service will not be busy though.
 

Mike99

Member
Joined
4 Mar 2011
Messages
866
Location
G E M L
Out of curiosity I had a look at the journeys you mention and for peace of mind, also at £9.60 each way or cheaper if you have a coach card of some sorts, I would book it and enjoy the festive and new year period with family and or friends
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,650
Location
Merseyside
I am going to do just that. It will give the certainty I want and also my family peace of mind.

Would this service likely become busy if rail strikes went ahead though or is this one probably quite an unknown service?
 
Last edited:

route101

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,303
I tend to find National Express services sell out. Sometimes I look at fares then the next time they have increased or sold out.
 

Statto

Established Member
Joined
8 Feb 2011
Messages
4,103
Location
At home or at the pub
Liverpool to Abergele, although it'll take longer, i'd look at taking the bus rather than National Express, changing at Chester & Rhyl.

The bus 11 Chester to Rhyl, is every 30 minutes most of the day, the 12 to Abergele every 15 minutes, both operated by Arriva, but need to buy the Arriva Wales day ticket, or 1 bws ticket, if you have the Merseytravel issued ENCTS pass then you can use Merseyrail Liverpool to Chester.

The 11 & 12 follows most of the National Express route anyway, just the 11 calls in at Holywell & couple of villages between Flint & Prestatyn.
 

markymark2000

On Moderation
Joined
11 May 2015
Messages
5,125
Location
Great Britain
Liverpool to Abergele, although it'll take longer, i'd look at taking the bus rather than National Express, changing at Chester & Rhyl.

The bus 11 Chester to Rhyl, is every 30 minutes most of the day, the 12 to Abergele every 15 minutes, both operated by Arriva, but need to buy the Arriva Wales day ticket, or 1 bws ticket, if you have the Merseytravel issued ENCTS pass then you can use Merseyrail Liverpool to Chester.

The 11 & 12 follows most of the National Express route anyway, just the 11 calls in at Holywell & couple of villages between Flint & Prestatyn.
12 would take you nearly 5 hours to do that. In comparison, NatEx takes 1h 20. Why would you use local bus?

You can get it down to 4 hours on local bus but that would require using the 811 which only runs a few times per day, Monday to Friday.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top