Over the weekend, I travelled from London to Norwich and back with my wife and son, using off-peak open returns bought online via the National Rail site. All three of us have railcards, so I entered the details on booking and got the 33% discount. On the way back, we changed at Cambridge, where my wife and I took a train to Kings Cross and my son one to Liverpool St (the tickets were for any London terminal). When our tickets were checked, we were told that we had GroupSave tickets which were not valid unless all 3 of us were on the same train. Luckily, we had an intelligent ticket inspector and didn't have to pay any more once I explained.
There was no warning on the tickets that they were restricted, other than a cryptic GPS-3 code (we live in Virgin Rail territory and had no idea what that meant). I have just run through the National Rail booking process again and found that it substitutes GroupSave tickets for the unrestricted ones at the "View and Buy" stage with no warning other than the word Groupsave in small print in brackets, no options and no mention of any restrictions in the Details box or in the full Terms and Conditions. As far as I could see, there was no way to stop it forcing GroupSave tickets and restrictions on me other than by buying them in separate transactions. When I clicked on "Edit tickets" it still told me I was buying tickets for 3 adults with railcards, but changed it to GroupSave again when I went back to the Buy screen.
I assume this is incompetence rather than a deliberate scam to make money from the unwary (though, looking at many other posts, I don't know why I should be so generous). Has anyone else been caught by this, or found a way to order 3 tickets together (so that I can reserve seats together) without being forcibly switched to restricted ones?
There was no warning on the tickets that they were restricted, other than a cryptic GPS-3 code (we live in Virgin Rail territory and had no idea what that meant). I have just run through the National Rail booking process again and found that it substitutes GroupSave tickets for the unrestricted ones at the "View and Buy" stage with no warning other than the word Groupsave in small print in brackets, no options and no mention of any restrictions in the Details box or in the full Terms and Conditions. As far as I could see, there was no way to stop it forcing GroupSave tickets and restrictions on me other than by buying them in separate transactions. When I clicked on "Edit tickets" it still told me I was buying tickets for 3 adults with railcards, but changed it to GroupSave again when I went back to the Buy screen.
I assume this is incompetence rather than a deliberate scam to make money from the unwary (though, looking at many other posts, I don't know why I should be so generous). Has anyone else been caught by this, or found a way to order 3 tickets together (so that I can reserve seats together) without being forcibly switched to restricted ones?