• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Named London station rather than London Terminals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class800

Established Member
Joined
5 Feb 2020
Messages
2,112
Location
West Country
I personally do not use e-tickets for flexible tickets only for advance tickets - and what we've been discussing above is a key reason for the decision I have made
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class800

Established Member
Joined
5 Feb 2020
Messages
2,112
Location
West Country
I have found LNER pretty good for sales actually - getting tickets right when others didn't provide the correct tickets - but have not tested the LNER site out for e-tickets on flexible itineraries like the OP's
 

travelred

Member
Joined
26 Feb 2020
Messages
29
Location
Manchester
I have found LNER pretty good for sales actually - getting tickets right when others didn't provide the correct tickets - but have not tested the LNER site out for e-tickets on flexible itineraries like the OP's
I know train booking engines are designed primarily for the majority of Joe Public, who just want to get from A to B in the fastest and cheapest manner, but it would be good to be able to purchase a flexible ticket without having to select a specific train (that you know you have zero intention of travelling on, but you've been allocated a seat reservation anyway), and also for the "Via/Avoid" option to be attached to the outbound *or* return leg, rather than mandating outbound *and* return.
 

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,157
I know train booking engines are designed primarily for the majority of Joe Public, who just want to get from A to B in the fastest and cheapest manner, but it would be good to be able to purchase a flexible ticket without having to select a specific train (that you know you have zero intention of travelling on, but you've been allocated a seat reservation anyway), and also for the "Via/Avoid" option to be attached to the outbound *or* return leg, rather than mandating outbound *and* return.
Mixing deck sites let you do that.
 

travelred

Member
Joined
26 Feb 2020
Messages
29
Location
Manchester
Mixing deck sites let you do that.
Thanks! Good to know!

Ended up paying Avanti a tenner to cancel and rebooked via TrainSplit but with paper tickets so I don't need to worry about any hassle on the day. Was able to collect from my local (smaller) station in GM too, which Avanti historically hasn't let me do, insisting I collect from a defined but limited list of stations of which my local was never on, despite having a ticket machine in place.
 
Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2010
Messages
17,914
Location
0036
There shouldn't be a fee at the moment for cancelling flexible tickets before the day of travel, unless I'm mistaken.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Was able to collect from my local (smaller) station in GM too, which Avanti historically hasn't let me do, insisting I collect from a defined but limited list of stations of which my local was never on, despite having a ticket machine in place.
For future reference you can collect tickets from any ticket machine with collection facilities, regardless of the list offered to you when you purchased :D
 

travelred

Member
Joined
26 Feb 2020
Messages
29
Location
Manchester
For future reference you can collect tickets from any ticket machine with collection facilities, regardless of the list offered to you when you purchased :D
Thanks - again good to know. Rail companies don't make it easy for folk. I consider myself more switched on than average where it comes to the quirks of ticketing, but even still get caught out...
 

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,913
There shouldn't be a fee at the moment for cancelling flexible tickets before the day of travel, unless I'm mistaken.
I believe you are. It’s only advances that can be changed without a fee but not cancelled, flexible tickets may be changeable but aren’t refundable (usual disruption rules apply of course).


However, given their Incompetence, incorrect information and lies, there is no reason you should have incurred this fee and I would contact Avanti to complain about this and get them to refund it. Take it to the Ombudsman if necessary.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,844
advances that can be changed without a fee but not cancelled,
They can be cancelled but the refund is only given in vouchers. The vouchers can subsequently be used for a completely different journey.
 

travelred

Member
Joined
26 Feb 2020
Messages
29
Location
Manchester
I believe you are. It’s only advances that can be changed without a fee but not cancelled, flexible tickets may be changeable but aren’t refundable (usual disruption rules apply of course).


However, given their Incompetence, incorrect information and lies, there is no reason you should have incurred this fee and I would contact Avanti to complain about this and get them to refund it. Take it to the Ombudsman if necessary.
I complained to the Twitter team who gave me the advice. Their response:

"I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused and the experience you have had with us recently. - Ross"

For a tenner I cba escalating to the Ombudsman, which is undoubtedly what Avanti hope will happen. Have learned a lot though, like TrainSplit has an Avanti seat picker option (and it works, unlike Avanti's own!) and MixingDesk will allow me to buy the tickets I want without being forced to reserve seats on trains I won't travel on, and I can collect paper tickets from my local station despite what the TOCs might tell me... :D
 

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,913
They can be cancelled but the refund is only given in vouchers. The vouchers can subsequently be used for a completely different journey.
Is that with all retailers? It’s certainly not how some are behaving so if they’re obliged to do so some have been refusing (the usual suspects to no surprises).
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,844
Is that with all retailers? It’s certainly not how some are behaving so if they’re obliged to do so some have been refusing (the usual suspects to no surprises).
The Book with Confidence scheme, which currently runs until 31 March, is applicable to all TOC retailers but I believe that most (if not all) of the third party retailers adhere to it as well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top