• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mystery Railway Sign(I think)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baiwey

New Member
Joined
18 May 2024
Messages
4
Location
Middlesborough, UK
Can someone help me identify this sign?
20240518_192659.jpg
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Webb

Established Member
Joined
5 Jun 2010
Messages
3,779
Location
St Albans
It looks as though the bottom half was designed to, and has been, buried in the ground. I can only assume it was possibly to identify a particular location or track as 'point A' or 'track A' as I can't think of 'A' standing for any abbreviation. Certainly unusual!
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,023
Location
Up the creek
Frankly, I think it could be a marker or similar from any industrial use of the nineteenth or early twentieth century: canal, dock, factory, mine, etc. Anything where somebody might be told to stop at or beyond, or not to pass the A marker; there might well be ones marked B, C, etc. (And that is just one possibility.) It was quite possibly a fairly standard design put out by an ironworks and, unless there is some owners or helpful manufacturers mark, I doubt if you will ever know. Even if you did find a photo of one in use, it could just be one of a number of uses. Sorry to be so dampening.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top