• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Mystery photo, carriages rounding bend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
At a guess, could this be Folkestone Junction. Southern, South Eastern Division, coaches (I think) and a small tank at the head. Possibly a boat train brought up from the harbour.
 

rf_ioliver

Member
Joined
17 Apr 2011
Messages
1,028
At a guess, could this be Folkestone Junction. Southern, South Eastern Division, coaches (I think) and a small tank at the head. Possibly a boat train brought up from the harbour.
Seems to be. Pretty hard to get a good street view on Google Earth, but certainly that's Martello Tower #1 in the near distance.

I found this picture: https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p86530707/hF4D695E1#hf4d695e1 which if you look, the signal gantry above the 3rd/4th coach matches the one in the background of the linked picture. Also the exposed challk on the hill behind is the same too.
 

lazonbytunnel

Member
Joined
5 May 2023
Messages
97
Location
Huddersfield
Seems to be. Pretty hard to get a good street view on Google Earth, but certainly that's Martello Tower #1 in the near distance.

I found this picture: https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p86530707/hF4D695E1#hf4d695e1 which if you look, the signal gantry above the 3rd/4th coach matches the one in the background of the linked picture. Also the exposed challk on the hill behind is the same too.
Excellent, that looks like the answer! Thanks both!
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,991
Location
Airedale
At a guess, could this be Folkestone Junction. Southern, South Eastern Division, coaches (I think) and a small tank at the head. Possibly a boat train brought up from the harbour.
Certainly - and on closer inspection there are two tanks at the front.

Restriction 1 stock which possibly dates it pre WW2 as well.
 

stuving

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2017
Messages
741
The track layout looks very like the 1:1250 OS plans from 1955/6 on NLS (awkwardly split across sheets). They show the low hump along the right side of the track as "tank", which is not obvious. There is also a line joining from the right behind the "Peek Freans makers of famous biscuits" hoarding, if you know to look for it.
 

Rescars

Established Member
Joined
25 May 2021
Messages
2,585
Location
Surrey
Is there someone hanging onto the handrail and speaking to someone (the guard?) who is leaning out of the leading vehicle (presumably a brakevan)? I wonder why, and also who are the other people standing opposite the third carriage?

Can anyone tell when the photo was taken? The stock certainly looks pre-war, whilst there seems to be quite a bit of SR concrete in evidence supporting the signal cables and possibly the Peek Freans advertising hoarding.
 

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Joined
16 Jun 2019
Messages
3,188
Location
London
I guessed the location too - brought back post-war childhood summer holiday memories, watching boat trains with several tank engines (front/back/middle) running up from the harbour station during bucket-and-spade holidays staying in the same Folkestone guest house several years running; it was in a road which had the steep rail incline at the end of it.
 

Irascible

Established Member
Joined
21 Apr 2020
Messages
2,233
Location
Dyfneint
I think the easiest way of working out when would be to look at the hoardings & compare the ads with other known photos. I certainly think it's post-grouping going on the style of the Peek Freens lettering, but whether it's post WW2 I don't know.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,991
Location
Airedale
Is there someone hanging onto the handrail and speaking to someone (the guard?) who is leaning out of the leading vehicle (presumably a brakevan)? I wonder why, and also who are the other people standing opposite the third carriage?
The train is about to reverse and change engines, which would account for the people.
Can anyone tell when the photo was taken? The stock certainly looks pre-war, whilst there seems to be quite a bit of SR concrete in evidence supporting the signal cables and possibly the Peek Freans advertising hoarding.
Other clues:
1. the stock is early Maunsell (and mostly 1st class - 7 compartment) and has just Southern on the side, so mid-30s onward, 1950 at the latest.
2. the signals are SR not SECR, and don't match the 1919 diagram on the SRS/Signalbox sites; the alterations may well have happened in 1930 when the small "B" box at the tunnel mouth was abolished.
3. there is housing faintly visible in the left background. Maps show the area being "developed" in the 30s, but I can't quite locate the ones on the map; as a wild guess, are they in fact prefabs, which would date the photo late 40s. Does anyone know that part of Folkestone (Dover Hill)? Otherwise 1935-50 is the best I can do.
 

stuving

Member
Joined
26 Jan 2017
Messages
741
Here is that 1955 1:1250 plan, pasted together from the two sheets. as close as I can get it:1720865309224.png.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top