• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My trip to Manchester & Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Joined
11 Dec 2009
Messages
2,684
Euston – Manchester Piccadilly – Liverpool Lime Street

My trip started with a visit to the First Class Lounge at Euston where I gathered some supplies of biscuits and crisps for the journey ahead. I then boarded my seat 02A in coach G. The seat was comfortable with plenty of leg room and table space.

22653_550711213518_36702422_32970360_6282_n.jpg


22653_550711218508_36702422_32970361_2737241_n.jpg


Soon after we departed tea and juices where served, followed by a breakfast of smoked salmon and scrambled egg on toast which was a delicious start to the day along with the tea and more toast.

22653_550711223498_36702422_32970362_6633546_n.jpg


Arriving in Manchester 2 hours and 9 minutes later, I ate lunch at Michael Caine’s Abode restaurant which was only a few minutes walk from the station. The decor was modern and plush but it suffered as the restaurant was located in the basement. I went for the grazing menu of crab cannelloni with pink grapefruit jelly and lemon thyme sauce; tartlet of quail with quail eggs, onion confit and light quail jus ending with fillet of cod with tomato fondue, coco beans and mint pesto, parmesan and lavender cream sauce. The meal was delicious with the ingredients freshly cooked and full of delightful flavours. The restaurant is just as good as many of the top restaurants in London.

After lunch I rode the tram to the Manchester Eye and Selfridges.

While I was waiting for my train to Liverpool Lime Street, I visited the First Class lounge to take a break from the hustle and bustle of the city.

My first class seat on-board the Transpennine Express Class 185 was comfy enough for the 52 minutes journey to Liverpool.

22653_550711228488_36702422_32970363_4932283_n.jpg


In Liverpool I had a brief visit to St George’s Hall and the Heritage Museum which were free and only a short distance across from the station. I can heartily recommend a visit as the architecture is striking and the exhibits enlightening.

I then spent some time in the First Class lounge where I refilled myself with crisps, biscuits and hot chocolate. I was the only person in the lounge when I boarded an empty carriage K.

22653_550711283378_36702422_32970374_1849019_n.jpg


Liverpool Lime Street – London

I sat in seat 18 for my journey back to London. As the train left, my order of beef in a red wine sauce was taken. A while later I was served my dinner which was edible as train meals go!

22653_550711278388_36702422_32970373_1893464_n.jpg


A dessert trolley then came round and I took the toffee cheesecake with cheese accompaniments. The cheesecake was delicious.

22653_550711288368_36702422_32970375_4733841_n.jpg


We arrived back in Euston 2 hours and 18 minutes later. In conclusion, I had a wonderful trip which was worth every penny!
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lee_Again

Member
Joined
29 Sep 2007
Messages
691
Location
Stevenage
An excellent trip report. I'm not a spotter but just enjoy travelling by train. Yours is the kind of trip I would do and the type of trip report I wish we saw more of on this forum.

I'm off to West Scotland at the end of the month; your report has inspired me to do one for this trip, and hopefully more in the months to come.
 
Joined
30 Jun 2009
Messages
1,133
Location
Nottinghamshire
An excellent trip report. I'm not a spotter but just enjoy travelling by train. Yours is the kind of trip I would do and the type of trip report I wish we saw more of on this forum.

I'm off to West Scotland at the end of the month; your report has inspired me to do one for this trip, and hopefully more in the months to come.

I am thinking the same thing, I have done quite a few trips to Scotland, all on the Caledonian sleeper, but I have been right round the houses to get to London and back, so maybe someone would find a report in the style of the one above useful if not even interesting! I have covered every leg of the Cally Sleeper in both directions, and have spent time in both Inverness and Fort William, so maybe a report would either inspire someone to take a trip on the sleeper or just give somegeneral pointers to places to eat and drink etc......
 

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Quizmaster
Joined
21 Jan 2010
Messages
5,575
Wow, I wish I had the money to go !st Class.

:(
 

4SRKT

Established Member
Joined
9 Jan 2009
Messages
4,409
Are you the richest poster on these boards GodAtum?
 

Lee_Again

Member
Joined
29 Sep 2007
Messages
691
Location
Stevenage
Wow, I wish I had the money to go !st Class.

:(

Nothing a bit of planning and advanced booking can't sort.

It's quite possible to get around the UK in 1st class without spending a fortune.

I have travelled all over the UK in first and have NEVER purchased an open single or return (except for work). In many respects, its actually the shorter trips that are the most expensive; often stupidily so!

Last year I did Stevenage>Leeds>Carlisle>Euston>Stevenage. Stevenage>Carlisle was £12.50 sinlgle. Bargain (no point doing 1st as Stevenage > Leeds was in the restaurant eating a Full English - which doesn't require a 1st ticket) and Leeds > Carlisle is Std only. Carlisle > Euston was £38 1st class, including food and a few beers. Again, bargain. Kings Cross > Stevenage was £10. Explain to me how that works??
 

142094

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2009
Messages
8,789
Location
Newcastle
You're very right, I'm doing Inverness to London in April 1st class for just under £40.
 
Joined
30 Jun 2009
Messages
1,133
Location
Nottinghamshire
Nothing a bit of planning and advanced booking can't sort.

It's quite possible to get around the UK in 1st class without spending a fortune.

I have travelled all over the UK in first and have NEVER purchased an open single or return (except for work). In many respects, its actually the shorter trips that are the most expensive; often stupidily so!

Last year I did Stevenage>Leeds>Carlisle>Euston>Stevenage. Stevenage>Carlisle was £12.50 sinlgle. Bargain (no point doing 1st as Stevenage > Leeds was in the restaurant eating a Full English - which doesn't require a 1st ticket) and Leeds > Carlisle is Std only. Carlisle > Euston was £38 1st class, including food and a few beers. Again, bargain. Kings Cross > Stevenage was £10. Explain to me how that works??

I agree, anytime me and my partner are planning a trip on the trains thats anything more than just local, we always look for advanced first class tickets. We are going Nottingham to London and back the following day in early April, £19.80 each way for both of us (with a railcard), so thats less than £40 for 2 adults for a first class return from Nottingham to London, can't grumble at that (apart from the first class and EMT is average at best!, but its the space and usually quite and kid free journey we are after)
 

GodAtum

On Moderation
Joined
11 Dec 2009
Messages
2,684
Many thanks for all your appreciation :D I'd thought I'd write up a report as hopefully it would give people a feel of what they might expect if they undertook a similar journey.

I think I paid just under £40 for the two advanced singles and £7 for the journey between Liverpool - Manchester (with a railcard). It cost me a lot to get into London from Guildford on 1st (£40 return)!
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
A fine report, GodAtum; there are no two ways of saying as much. I myself have made such reports, dating back to the second (out of seven) times I visited London on a Travelcard day out, which invariably went wrong <( [look up c2c 2nd April 2007] I did one only last month to Sheffield and back, which included one of the best deals I have seen to date (£15.20 SHF - STP First Class, including so much tea that the journey itself was probably about fiver! :D), and plan to make a video diary using my webcam on my next run (this coming Thursday/Friday). I'll be sure to post it on here... or not, given it wouldn't be possible! :D
 

GodAtum

On Moderation
Joined
11 Dec 2009
Messages
2,684
and plan to make a video diary using my webcam on my next run (this coming Thursday/Friday). I'll be sure to post it on here... or not, given it wouldn't be possible! :D

You could put it on youtube and post a link to it on here :D
 

Ivo

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2010
Messages
7,307
Location
Bath (or Southend)
I'm not setting up a YouTube account just for that! I could put it on Facebook I suppose, and then make the classic Forum mistake of giving out my details! :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top