• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My trip to Ambleside, what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeeGee

Member
Joined
24 Jul 2012
Messages
1,137
Location
Great Grimsby
I've got a lovely fare splitting at Manchester Piccadilly for a return trip from Grimsby to Windermere this weekend.

Originally, when I booked, I anticipated cycling from Windermere to Ambleside, but I've failed to get my finger out and have therefore neither a means of carrying luggage, nor enough working gears.

I hold reservations for the cycle on all four trains for the weekend.

Is it desirable/necessary/possible/easy to cancel them?

Which still leaves me with the hoary question of how to get to Ambleside? There's a bus which leaves not long after my train arrives at 17:58. Now would it be prudent to buy plusbus at some point, or is it pointless. I'd be needing a bus to return the following day anyway.

Or, if I were to risk the bike, what would be the best thing to do with it during the 2 hour layover at MAN?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bkhtele

Member
Joined
28 Nov 2009
Messages
547
Location
Swindon
Have a look at the lakes day ranger, it may give you some ideas. I like getting the bus at Windermere station to Bowness then the old steamer to Ambleside. There is a walk c 1 mile to the town or you can get the horse drawn carriage. You can get the bus back or use the steamer both ways. If you like coffee & cake try the apple pie eating house on the Main Street in Ambleside near the little house over the river.
Alternatively you may fancy a ride on the Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway reached by the steamer from Bowness to Lakeside.
 

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,021
There are 2 buses scheduled around that time from Windermere station to Ambleside. 599 at 1812 and 555 at 1809

I would not bother with plus bus for a single journey as the single fare will be cheaper.
Plus bus is £7 I think. The single fare is probably £5-6. (It is £6.50 to Grasmere from the station)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top