• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My trip on the California Zephyr

Status
Not open for further replies.

higthomas

Established Member
Joined
27 Nov 2012
Messages
1,229
I recently had the immense good fortune to take a trip across America by train. We started in Boston, and took the Lake Shore Limited to Chicago. After a few nights there we then took the California Zephyr all the way through the Rockies to San Francisco. This is a most amazing journey, and I thought I would share some of my observations of the second leg.

The first thing to mention before I start is that everything railway related, as well as everything else in this country, is BIG, really big. This was my main realisation as we made this journey, and kind of makes the UK seem very small, although at least we still have Scotland.
We left Union Station Chicago about an hour late because One of the locos had broken and they were having problems finding another. Eventually we did leave, and one the way out passed some pretty impressive commuter trains, enormous double deck coaching stock, hauled by some enormous trains. As we left we got up to quite some speed, faster than I knew these trains went. We passed through both pleasant suburbs and freight yards and the like. The shear amount of rail freight facilities in this country is incredible, and although it wouldn't be economical in GB it would be brilliant if it were like that here.

Soon we were entering the prairies. They really are incredible, a bit like Norfolk, except I can cross Norfolk in about an hour and a half by train, and this took twenty. We were soon eating dinner, which is pretty good all things considered. I had some chicken, which was a bit dry, but no more so than a typical boarding school meal. During dinner the train was shaking quite a bit, that led to quite a lot of spilled food, how they cook in that I don't know. On the whole that is one thong I have noticed, the train rocks a lot more than any I've encountered in Europe.
As dinner was coming to a close the sun started to set, and boy was it incredible. It was almost crimson at one point, and the whole sky was a beautiful shade of pink. On my way back to my room, there were a lot of people in old fashioned dress with odd haircuts. This was also a feature of the first train, and got me thinking perhaps travelling by train is in some way encouraged by their religion/culture.

The room itself was actually a lot smaller than on the first leg, despite the actual carriage being larger. This is because the cars are double decker. This meant that whereas on the first leg I had had a nice view out of the window when I woke up, on this leg I was far too close to the ceiling for comfort.
Just before bedtime we had a 'smoke stop' at Ottumwa. There were many of these stops, which whilst not a smoker myself, did me good opportunity to stretch my legs and take some photos.
At Ottumwa there were three locos on the front, more than would be needed for the rest of the journey. This was because one of the locos, along with five extra carriages, were being taken off at Omaha to form a special train for a football train, the sort of joined up thinking that could never happen in the U.K. This though took quite a while, and led to an extra two hours delay.
The next morning I woke, after an ok nights sleep, a very odd but amazing Experience, being able to feel the rocking of the train as I fell asleep. I had more trouble though the next morning using the shower, at one stage being thrown quite violently against the wall. The scenery was more of the same, although with slightly more trees this time. One feature that I noticed all through is that both the BNSF and UP parts have been recently resignalled, all colour lights. Another frequent feature of the plains was small grain loading facilities every five to ten miles. These frequently had just a few wagons around, and it seems as if they still do wagonload freight here, which did produce some great looking trains.

Just outside Denver we travelled through both something that looked like some sort of chemical or oil works and the BNSF yard. This must have had thirty locos in, which when combined with the vast numbers just sitting in sidings along the way meant I saw an awful lot of locos.
At Denver we didn't travel straight into the station, but instead travelled past and then were propelled in, not something I have ever done before, and not something I think is allowed in Britain.
Denver station itself has clearly been rebuilt, seemingly in preparation for a new railway service to the Airport, for which both earthworks and electrification masts were much in evidence. Whilst there we had a long stop, during which the train had a mini service, with someone getting on to fix a broken light, and others washing the windows. I also walked through another sleeping car which as it turns out was much nicer than mine.
As we left Denver we went straight up into the mountains, via an impressive series of switchbacks, overtaking two trains on the way. Soon though we paused at a loop, waiting for UP maintenance teams to come off the line ahead. An hour and a half later we left the loop and proceeded ahead. Ahead was the most beautiful piece of railway I have ever seen. Valleys with rocky rivers along the bottom and beautiful green trees up the side, it truly was breath-taking.
We soon, in the grand scheme of a 50 hour plus train journey, we were heading through a ten minute long tunnel, inside of which we were told not to move between carriages to prevent diesel fumes entering the train.
We soon passed through a series of ski resorts, and passed the train in the other direction, before joining the Colorado river.
At some point a coal train passed us that must have been at least 60 cars long, and had six locomotives hauling it, quite an impressive load.
Going along the Colorado river there were some spectacular white water, before it gave way to calmer waters, full of fishermen and campers. Whilst on this stretch I was sitting in a coach car with a couple who had two very grumpy children, who clearly were a bit sick of the train by now. Sadly I didn't think there was anything I could do to help, so just got back to reading my book.

The next morning we awoke passing though the Nevada desert, where strangely it was raining. Beside the track, as there had been for much of the journey, there was a series of absolutely classic telegraph poles, which did make me feel as if I could have been crossing the desert some time in the nineteenth century. There were also quite a few level crossings, amazingly all of which had full half barriers and lights, possibly something to teach us.
Later on we seemed to be joined in our valley by another railway. I thought it was just another companies line, but then we came to a yard that seemed to be shared by both lines, and later on realised that both that line and our one were only signalled in one direction. It seems as if these two tracks that took quite separate paths down the valley, and sometimes through different valleys were being used as one double track line, fascinating.
As we travelled through the desert, there were a few other features of interest I noticed, such as the perfectly green circular fields, which really stood out in contrast to the barren desert landscape. We also passed the Tahoe valley industrial centre, which claimed to bee the worlds largest, but we couldn't see it over the ridge, so I cannot currently verify that fact (I am writing this on the plane home.) But my main conclusion about the desert is that I is really dull. The parallel road had a sign on it saying that I was the worlds loneliest road, with something like six towns in 200 miles, and over lush later that day I met someone who had gotten do tired of the road he had fallen asleep at the wheel and crashed his rental car into just about the only obstacle within 10 miles, a post. As you can guess I got quite bored, and so watched star wars on my phone, which led to a few people coming up to me and spontaneously engaging me in conversation about it, which was quote nice.
Eventually we reached Reno, which I have been reliably informed is a horrible place. Of interest to me though was an industrial estate on the outskirts as you entered the city, in which every single building was rail connected, quite unlike how we build our industrial estates sadly.

We soon entered the Sierra Nevada, where things became more lush, and I saw my first proper tree for hundreds of miles. Sadly though IO did not get to see the beautiful views of the valleys that we had been promised, because they were full of smoke from a nearby forest fire, a sad indication of just how dry it is at the moment in California. Eventually we reached Roseville, where some private cars were added to the train. They looked very nice, but sadly I couldn't get a good look, because we were all herded back onto the train before they did the coupling. Also in the yard opposite Roseville station I saw signs warning of remote controlled locos, a strange, and to me, scary idea.

Finally though we reached Emeryville, and it is not often I say this, but I was glad to be off the train. Whilst I would highly recommend the journey, I would definitely advise you stop of along the way for a day or two; 55 hours on a train does actually get dull.
My concluding remark would be that I would quite like to be a rail enthusiast over here. Whilst there is a real dearth of passenger services, which is terrible, the rail freight scene is amazing.

To see my photos, go to https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=DB4BF6AA367006C9!147
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,854
Location
West of Andover
Is that the coast to coast by rail holiday I've seen advertised in various places?

Sounds quite amazing, one thing which stuck me when I was out in California last year was the sheer length of some of the freight trains.
 

higthomas

Established Member
Joined
27 Nov 2012
Messages
1,229
Well it wasn't organised by a tour party, but I think that is essentially the same thing, but they do the work for you.
I know, the only train length which we counted was a 120 car long wagonload train with six locos, it just went on and on.
 

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
9 Aug 2009
Messages
15,268
Location
Llanelli
I've ridden the Empire Builder and the South West Chief, and I hope to go back and try out the California Zephyr one day. It's said to be the most scenic of the routes from Chicago to the west coast.

Thanks for whetting my appetite with a great report!
 

oddiesjack

Member
Joined
11 Jan 2012
Messages
315
Location
High Peak
Thanks for writing this up - it brought back memories for me of when I did the California Zephyr about 10 years ago.

I didn't go for the sleeper car option, as it seemed so much more expensive, and I was going to break the journey in Denver and Reno anyway so I figured I would be able to catch up on sleep on my breaks.

However, what I learned from a seasoned passenger on this trip is that the sleeper option includes 3 meals a day, which makes it a whole lot more cost-effective. He also told me that you can upgrade on the train by speaking with the conductor when he comes round checking tickets. What's more, you can negotiate with the conductor for the best deal, as he is authorised to just get the best price he can for any empty sleeping cabins. Unfortunately, I got told all this after the conductor had checked my ticket, but after the passenger had just got some really cheap deal!

Having said that, the seats in the superliner coach class were enormous, reclined and had leg rests so sleeping in them was very easy anyway. When those passengers with sleeping berths had retired to bed, we cheapskates were able to spread ourselves around so we were less likely to disturb each other with snoring.

On such a long journey, its inevitable that you will end up chatting with other passengers, which I remember having some extremely interesting chats, despite Mr “I-Got-A-Cheap-Deal” being the most right-wing person I have EVER met, and more than willing to tell everyone in earshot about his politics. The conversation got much better when he went to the restaurant car or to his roomette.

I recall the interesting method of arriving at Denver station, with the train going round a curve, then reversing into the station – a bit like the through Far North services used to do at Inverness. I agree the scenery after Denver up into the rockies, then following the Colorado river is absolutely stunning, something I would not have missed for the world. Fortunately, as the train leaves Denver in the morning you get all this in daylight, which considering the trip takes over 2 full days to complete shows some sensible timetabling, especially as there is only this one train per day over much of the route.

Another very scenic portion, over the Sierra Nevada mountains between Nevada and California via the Donner Pass is also covered in daylight hours, the train departing from Reno around 08.30. In my case it was about 3 hours late though! We had the services of a tour guide on this section – I thought they were from the National Parks Authority, but looking at the Amtrak website, they are now from the California State Railroad museum. They were quite informative and helpful but they missed out the story of the cannibalism of the pioneers who trailblazed the Donner Pass but got stuck due to the winter conditions. When I asked one of the guides, he said that they are not allowed to tell that story to avoid upsetting the children.

Unfortunately for me, due to the late departure from Reno, it was going dark by the time we reached San Francisco bay, which the last section of this trip runs along. The terminal station is Emeryville, which seemed a bit basic to me, but there are buses included in the train ticket into San Francisco proper, and our driver was only too happy to drop people off right outside their hotels.

I didn't get the dislike for Reno referred to in HigThomas's report. I found it quite a pleasant place, and being a casino city, hotel accommodation was very cheap. I know I lost the best part of a night there, as my casino-hotel had a micro-brewery with a happy hour in the afternoon, so I got refreshingly drunk in there.
 

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
Cracking read that and great pictures too - the one of your hand is stunning ;)

defintely a trip I would like to do one day.
 

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Joined
6 Sep 2011
Messages
8,339
Location
Herts
Did NYC - Chicago - SF as far back as 1984 ...marvellous experience - apart from the Nevada desert in dry conditions - we got the first snow over the Sierra Nevada. With a BR priv - one sleeper to Chicago and day coaches on the long haul (stop over at Denver) - it cost about £75.
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
Thanks for whetting my appetite with a great report!

I concur, I'm really wanting to go over there now. Thoroughly enjoyed the read and it really got the imagination going into overdrive as to what it looks like over there.

Remote loco operations, I've seen it demonstrated on a TV programme a few years back and it's a clever way of doing things. There are, you'll be glad to know, plenty of safety systems in place!

I've wanted to do The South West Chief in one go for a long time, for the experience. Although I'd have to ensure I did the Grand Canyon on a separate trip to do that.

Sounds like it was an excellent experience in general, except for the rocking and rolling. Must be most awkward to try and shower in a rocking carriage! It also sounds like it's worth taking a good book and/or plenty of entertainment with you on such a trip, that desert section must have been incredibly dull and boring!

I dread to think how much such a trip would cost though! I've now looked at the photos and those locos do look like monsters! Would love to be there with some of those pulling a long heavy freight out, or even the Amtrak ones starting off. Safe to say there's now something else I'm adding to my list of things to do ASAP!
 
Last edited:
Joined
2 Jan 2009
Messages
527
Spent 5 weeks travelling America on an Amtrak pass in 1997 including the Zephyr. I remember being most astonished by the grain belt - we left Chicago mid afternoon, cleared suburban Illinois by 6pm at which point the corn fields began. And didn't end until mid morning the following day as we approached Denver....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 

306024

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2013
Messages
3,974
Location
East Anglia
.........It also sounds like it's worth taking a good book and/or plenty of entertainment with you on such a trip, that desert section must have been incredibly dull and boring!.......

If you immerse yourself in your own headphones you will miss so much. The entertainment is your fellow passengers, so long as you can hold a conversation about anything from Boeing 787 construction to the Californian legal system (via the Seattle Seahawks). Mealtimes in the dining car are real social occasions, and Americans do seem to like hearing a British accent - it makes them laugh :D
 

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Joined
19 Jun 2005
Messages
21,843
Location
Nowhere Heath
If you immerse yourself in your own headphones you will miss so much. The entertainment is your fellow passengers, so long as you can hold a conversation about anything from Boeing 787 construction to the Californian legal system (via the Seattle Seahawks). Mealtimes in the dining car are real social occasions, and Americans do seem to like hearing a British accent - it makes them laugh :D

Good point, I'll bear that in mind for the day I can afford the trip. Which, considering The South West Chief has been planned to be done since 2005 or so, is going to be some way off!
 

ac6000cw

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2014
Messages
3,917
Location
Cambridge, UK
Sounds like you had a great trip !

I travelled westbound on the Cal Zeph about 25 years ago (my first visit and train ride in the US) and it's a fascinating and very scenic ride. The climb out of Denver into the Rockies is just magic - one of my all-time best train journeys :). The very long tunnel further west is the Moffat tunnel, opened in 1934 to join two parts of the Denver & RioGrande Western railroad to create a more direct Denver-Salt Lake City route. It has no ventilation shafts, so big doors close at one end after each train has passed through and fans are used to blow the fumes out of the other end.

Later on we seemed to be joined in our valley by another railway. I thought it was just another companies line, but then we came to a yard that seemed to be shared by both lines, and later on realised that both that line and our one were only signalled in one direction. It seems as if these two tracks that took quite separate paths down the valley, and sometimes through different valleys were being used as one double track line, fascinating.

The 'other railway' was originally the Western Pacific 'Feather River' route between Salt Lake City and Oakland/San Francisco (opened in 1909) as a competitor to the Southern Pacific (the western end of the original transcontinental railroad, opened in 1869). Increasing traffic spurred them to come to a shared track agreement across Nevada. Both routes are now part of Union Pacific.

And yes, everything 'railroad' is bigger and noisier over there ;). I've just got back from a 9 day train watching trip to part of the eastern US. After watching 15,000 ton coal trains blasting upgrade at 15 mph with three locos up front and four on the rear, a 66 with a few hundred metres of train seems very tame in comparison....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top