• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My trip on an Azuma: Coach C not reserveable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YorksLad12

Established Member
Joined
5 Feb 2020
Messages
2,718
Location
Leeds
[Mods: please move if you think this should be elsewhere.]

So: finally I get a trip to London from Leeds, and I'm on the LNER website trying to move my seats to where I want them to be. The return journey (1803, 2 September) is a 5-car Azuma (ack) but the journey down (1215, 1 September) only shows eight cars in the reservation screen. As far as I can tell, 'C' is missing.

Is that because you can't reserve a seat in there? In the Before Times Coach C was generally unreserved but you could reserve a seat in there if you really wanted to (I regularly did).

I mean, it'll all go to pot anyway by then and be replaced with a 91... certainly hope so on the peak-time return from London! But I don't understand why they wouldn't show 'C', just with all of the seats blocked out as unreservable.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DanNCL

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2017
Messages
5,123
Location
County Durham
[Mods: please move if you think this should be elsewhere.]

So: finally I get a trip to London from Leeds, and I'm on the LNER website trying to move my seats to where I want them to be. The return journey (1803, 2 September) is a 5-car Azuma (ack) but the journey down (1215, 1 September) only shows eight cars in the reservation screen. As far as I can tell, 'C' is missing.

Is that because you can't reserve a seat in there? In the Before Times Coach C was generally unreserved but you could reserve a seat in there if you really wanted to (I regularly did).

I mean, it'll all go to pot anyway by then and be replaced with a 91... certainly hope so on the peak-time return from London! But I don't understand why they wouldn't show 'C', just with all of the seats blocked out as unreservable.
The 12:15 from Leeds is usually an 800/801. The 12:45 and 13:15 are both normally 91s, if you're after a 91 I'd advise picking one of those two instead.

Coach C on all Azumas is fully unreserved.
This is only the case on 9 and 10 car 80xs. Half of Coach C is reservable on services booked to be 5 car worked.
 

Fuzzytop

Member
Joined
4 Jan 2017
Messages
306
I mean, it'll all go to pot anyway by then and be replaced with a 91... certainly hope so on the peak-time return from London! But I don't understand why they wouldn't show 'C', just with all of the seats blocked out as unreservable.
unfortunately the 1803 is a solid Azuma turn, forming off one of the Lincolns usually (and its return ECS goes to Doncaster).

1703 and 1933 off King's Cross seem to be the better bets for comfort old school Mk4s.
 

YorksLad12

Established Member
Joined
5 Feb 2020
Messages
2,718
Location
Leeds
The 12:15 from Leeds is usually an 800/801. The 12:45 and 13:15 are both normally 91s, if you're after a 91 I'd advise picking one of those two instead.
I toyed with it but what I really wanted was the 1145... which isn't running. In fact I'm not sure it ever made a return from the last time it was withdrawn. Just strange that LNER bang on about 5- and 9-car sets and then only show 8.

unfortunately the 1803 is a solid Azuma turn, forming off one of the Lincolns usually (and its return ECS goes to Doncaster).

1703 and 1933 off King's Cross seem to be the better bets for comfort old school Mk4s.
I did think about changing my trip when I saw it was only 5 cars (wonder what the 1748 would be...) but the way my meeting works, the inevitable drink afterwards and then probably having to swing back past my hotel to collect my bag, 1803 is my usual go-to train. It used to be heaving, I assume/hope traffic is lighter at the moment if we're four cars down!
 

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Joined
11 Jul 2017
Messages
3,506
Location
Leicestershire
unfortunately the 1803 is a solid Azuma turn, forming off one of the Lincolns usually (and its return ECS goes to Doncaster).

1703 and 1933 off King's Cross seem to be the better bets for comfort old school Mk4s.
Indeed, currently 1603, 1703 and 1933 are booked 91 turns. I don't yet have diagrams for the week of the OPs trip though.
 

DanNCL

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2017
Messages
5,123
Location
County Durham
Indeed, currently 1603, 1703 and 1933 are booked 91 turns. I don't yet have diagrams for the week of the OPs trip though.
The diagrams on the week of the OPs trip should be the same as they are this week. New diagrams from 6th September if I recall correctly.
 

YorksLad12

Established Member
Joined
5 Feb 2020
Messages
2,718
Location
Leeds
Tell you what... I am deeply regretting not having checked RTT first. The 1748 departure to Leeds is showing as a 10-car set. The 1803 to Skipton via Leeds is a 5-car. How it will "divide at Leeds" I knoweth not... but a lesson learned I think, even for this old hand. Doubt I'll be able to change easily as it's an Advanced ticket. I'll just keep my mask on throughout ;)

Thanks for your comments and help.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top