• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My train just sailed through East Croydon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

modernrail

Established Member
Joined
26 Jul 2015
Messages
1,462
I am on the Worthing to London Victoria train and it just sailed through East Croydon! It was the 12.00 from West Worthing.

That has never happened to me before. How could that happen? Are the signals not set to stop that?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2005
Messages
4,281
Are the signals not set to stop that?
No, the Signals would very likely be on a proceed aspect (yellow/double yellow or green) if there wasn't anything in front of your train.

The Driver will have a print out of their train's scheduled calling points for the section they're working it.

Why the train didn't call could be for many reasons, for example as simple as the Driver forgetting to stop (I'd guess this is even more likely to happen where the Station involved doesn't have every train ran by that particularly company calling at it).
 

modernrail

Established Member
Joined
26 Jul 2015
Messages
1,462
I am very surprised a driver has forgotten to stop at East Croydon. The only service that doesn’t stop is the Gatwick Express.

It went through at speed as well. Perhaps he did think he was driving the Gatwick Express.

Plenty of annoyed passengers. Can’t be a common occurrence surely.
 

6Gman

Established Member
Joined
1 May 2012
Messages
9,215
I am very surprised a driver has forgotten to stop at East Croydon. The only service that doesn’t stop is the Gatwick Express.

It went through at speed as well. Perhaps he did think he was driving the Gatwick Express.

Plenty of annoyed passengers. Can’t be a common occurrence surely.
It happens.

I've been on at least two trains where it happened.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,531
Location
LBK
I am on the Worthing to London Victoria train and it just sailed through East Croydon! It was the 12.00 from West Worthing.

That has never happened to me before. How could that happen? Are the signals not set to stop that?
Station stops are not usually signalled.
 

hboogie

Member
Joined
5 Nov 2025
Messages
5
Location
Nottingham
Never had that happen to me and this was a service I used to use daily.
Bet the driver sunk into his seat at the next station o_O
 

davews

Member
Joined
24 Apr 2021
Messages
1,015
Location
Bracknell
It happened to me many years ago on the North Downs line where the train shot through Crowthorne and we ended up at Sandhurst. Humble apologies from the guard, no doubt the driver forgot he was on the stopping service... Fortunately there was a Crowthorne train a few minutes later on the other platform otherwise it might have been an hour wait.
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,437
Location
Somerset
The only times it’s happened to me have been at Durham and Chippenham.

I suspect the Durham one was planned as a way of clawing back time, as the announcement as to what passengers should do came suspiciously soon after the “non stop”.

Chippenham was much more spectacular massive brake application from line speed (the stink!), a few moments awkward silence and then an ignominious reversal for about half a mile back into the station!

I’ve also been on a train that stopped rather more abruptly than intended at Milngavie a couple of yards further than a train had been for a very long time, - but that’s a different story.
 

sh24

Established Member
Joined
28 Sep 2023
Messages
1,510
Location
London
Overshot Sherborne behind a Class 50, due to driver error. Much kerfuffle to reset the level crossing and allow us to set back.
 

adc82140

Established Member
Joined
10 May 2008
Messages
3,412
I've been on trains that have done that twice. Overshot Wimbledon once in the early 90s on the only train of the day from Basingstoke that was scheduled to stop there. It was a quick hop over the bridge at Clapham Junction to get back to Wimbledon, ended up only about 15 mins late.

Overshot Twyford in the early days of the first stop Twyford HSTs, and ended up at Reading. slightly longer to get back from that one.

But to err is human. Didn't even consider writing to Network Southeast or First Great Western. I'm sure the drivers concerned felt crappy enough as it was without a whingeing commuter like me writing to customer services.
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,010
Location
London
Unless it was an adhesion related 'fail to stop' - although the OP's report of "sailed through" doesn't sound like it - not stopping at East Croydon is definitely one of the weirder ones I've heard!

I'm pretty sure GatEx drivers solely drive that and don't interchange with Southern, so that wouldn't explain it either.
 

Port Road

Member
Joined
27 Sep 2025
Messages
89
Location
Scotland
I've been on trains that have done that twice. Overshot Wimbledon once in the early 90s on the only train of the day from Basingstoke that was scheduled to stop there. It was a quick hop over the bridge at Clapham Junction to get back to Wimbledon, ended up only about 15 mins late.

Overshot Twyford in the early days of the first stop Twyford HSTs, and ended up at Reading. slightly longer to get back from that one.

But to err is human. Didn't even consider writing to Network Southeast or First Great Western. I'm sure the drivers concerned felt crappy enough as it was without a whingeing commuter like me writing to customer services.

"..it was a quick hop over the bridge at Clapham Junction to get back to Wimbledon, ended up only about 15 mins late."

Nowadays you'd be worried that the crooks could issue a penalty fare. (When did penalty fares become a thing? I'm not aware).
 

inais20

Member
Joined
12 Nov 2014
Messages
88
How serious is this kind of thing for the driver? Just a bit of a telling off or something more formal? Hopefully not the latter as everyone makes mistakes!
 

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Joined
24 Mar 2020
Messages
5,782
Location
SW London
I seem to recall this happened at Sandwell & Dudley once. Very embarrassing as it was the first train ever scheduled to call there, and all the local bigwigs were there to welcome it.
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,010
Location
London
How serious is this kind of thing for the driver? Just a bit of a telling off or something more formal? Hopefully not the latter as everyone makes mistakes!

Would very much dependent on the circumstances (reasoning) given by the driver, the driver’s overall safety record, any mitigating circumstances etc.
 

saismee

Established Member
Joined
20 Oct 2023
Messages
1,744
Location
UK
Would very much dependent on the circumstances (reasoning) given by the driver, the driver’s overall safety record, any mitigating circumstances etc.
I seem to recall this happened at Sandwell & Dudley once. Very embarrassing as it was the first train ever scheduled to call there, and all the local bigwigs were there to welcome it.
I imagine this would be one of the more forgivable situations, depending on how the service was introduced.
 

MotCO

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
6,124
I've been waiting on the platform at St Margarets (nr Twickenham) going to New Malden and the Waterloo - Kingston - Waterloo failed to stop. Just had to wait half an hour for the next.

Also I've been expecting to get off a train at Chelsfield, only for the train to sail straight through to Sevenoaks. They then arranged taxis to get us back to Chelsfield. Why they didn't get a London bound train at Sevenoaks to stop at Chelsfield I don't know - it would have been quicker and cheaper all round.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top