• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

My Settle & Carlisle style viaduct - OO Gauge Layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter C

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2018
Messages
4,739
Location
GWR land
My new rake of Freightliner wagons have arrived, well 9/10 of those I ordered.

My 3 of 4 HIAs

View attachment 103336

My 3 pairs of MJAs

View attachment 103337

In a nice rake

View attachment 103338

One has arrived with a defective wheel

View attachment 103339 View attachment 103340

Should I get a replacement of live with it? I turned the wagon so can't see the issue.
Those wagons do look very nice. I'd suggest maybe trying to fix the wheel back on to the wagon somehow? Like @Cowley says, a tiny bit of glue might just do the trick - even a minute amount of Pritt-stick glue could do the job?

-Peter
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

reddragon

Established Member
Joined
24 Mar 2016
Messages
3,274
Location
Churn (closed)
My last HIA has arrived completing my Freightliner rake of 10 (for now), and is currently connected to 4 NR and 6 EWS wagons.

I do have quite a few things stuck in Hattons trunk as they quietly put up free postage from £175 to £250 spend! grrr.

My class 101 sold last week and I still have a Yeoman wagon on. I plan to sell some Mainline Mk1s and Lima wagons soon to make space for my new stock held at Hattons.

My Lima 73142 is now fitted with stay alive so it can cross section gaps. I still have 6 others with that issue which will either be sold or add stay alives to.

I am eagerly awaiting my new loco. It has arrived but hasn't been dispatched yet.

I am very tempted by the Accurascale Mk2Bs as they are WR and the KR models 4DDs. I shall have to review my fleet.


###########

My new loco has arrive, 5 to go!

Seems to have pick up issues as it stalls a lot :(

1634319358834.png

######

I had to return it for repairs as the pic ups are totally naff. Brilliant sound though when it works!
 
Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,951
Location
Devon
My last HIA has arrived completing my Freightliner rake of 10 (for now), and is currently connected to 4 NR and 6 EWS wagons.

I do have quite a few things stuck in Hattons trunk as they quietly put up free postage from £175 to £250 spend! grrr.

My class 101 sold last week and I still have a Yeoman wagon on. I plan to sell some Mainline Mk1s and Lima wagons soon to make space for my new stock held at Hattons.

My Lima 73142 is now fitted with stay alive so it can cross section gaps. I still have 6 others with that issue which will either be sold or add stay alives to.

I am eagerly awaiting my new loco. It has arrived but hasn't been dispatched yet.

I am very tempted by the Accurascale Mk2Bs as they are WR and the KR models 4DDs. I shall have to review my fleet.


###########

My new loco has arrive, 5 to go!

Seems to have pick up issues as it stalls a lot :(

View attachment 104095

######

I had to return it for repairs as the pic ups are totally naff. Brilliant sound though when it works!

I love that! How did they work the sounds out for it because I can’t imagine there being many recordings of the original?
At least one of the gas turbines had a kind of donkey engine to get it going, and a steam engine type of whistle I believe?
 

reddragon

Established Member
Joined
24 Mar 2016
Messages
3,274
Location
Churn (closed)
I love that! How did they work the sounds out for it because I can’t imagine there being many recordings of the original?
At least one of the gas turbines had a kind of donkey engine to get it going, and a steam engine type of whistle I believe?
It has a diesel engine for slow speeds & start up / shut down and yes it Whistles :)

The sound is a standard 50's jet engine so easy to replicate.
 

Peter C

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2018
Messages
4,739
Location
GWR land
###########

My new loco has arrive, 5 to go!

Seems to have pick up issues as it stalls a lot :(

View attachment 104095

######

I had to return it for repairs as the pic ups are totally naff. Brilliant sound though when it works!
That does look lovely. I got to see the real one yesterday funnily enough and it really is an interesting engine. I bet it's cool to hear the sounds on it given the fact it hasn't run in so long.
That's a real shame about having to send it back though - seems to be happening a bit with newer models (not constantly, and you'd always expect there to be some dodgy ones in a large production run, but still a few too many I'd argue). But that's a topic for another time else I'll get more and more annoyed until I just start hitting the keyboard :lol:

-Peter
 

reddragon

Established Member
Joined
24 Mar 2016
Messages
3,274
Location
Churn (closed)
Model Rail bonanza today!

My Rails - Heljan 18000 returned and it works brilliantly. It is basically a new replacement as the original had a dud chassis.

Deliveries from Hattons:

W3885 at SO and W13065 for my Crimson & Cream set, now 7 coaches and hauled by 18000

1635873775455.png
1635873796766.png

4x Network Rail IOA high box wagons added to my Freightliner + NR + EWS rake, now at 24 wagons nearly fills my track 9 at Red Dragon General.

1635873915206.png
1635873947059.png

And 2 extra container wagons for my container train from Hattons / GBR - FEA-S with Maersk containers

1635874031743.png

The Hattons FEA couplings are a pain, so I have replaced some with drawbars

Anyone know the CV settings to get a Bachmann 70 to start / stop gently with some very slow speeds?
 

Peter C

Established Member
Joined
13 Oct 2018
Messages
4,739
Location
GWR land
Model Rail bonanza today!

My Rails - Heljan 18000 returned and it works brilliantly. It is basically a new replacement as the original had a dud chassis.

Deliveries from Hattons:

W3885 at SO and W13065 for my Crimson & Cream set, now 7 coaches and hauled by 18000

View attachment 105079
View attachment 105080

4x Network Rail IOA high box wagons added to my Freightliner + NR + EWS rake, now at 24 wagons nearly fills my track 9 at Red Dragon General.

View attachment 105081
View attachment 105082

And 2 extra container wagons for my container train from Hattons / GBR - FEA-S with Maersk containers

View attachment 105083

The Hattons FEA couplings are a pain, so I have replaced some with drawbars

Anyone know the CV settings to get a Bachmann 70 to start / stop gently with some very slow speeds?
Very nice. This is giving me some ideas for things to look into getting for Oldmoor! :)
Good news about 18000. Shame about the first one but just shows you can still get decent models.

-Peter
 

Iskra

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2014
Messages
10,731
Location
West Riding
I keep putting the scenic stuff off!
I’ve been doing the same, but on 1/1/22 I’ve decided that’s the time to clear the stock from my layout and crack on :)

…I think taking the stock off is the only way to stop the procrastination :D
 

fourtytwo

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2021
Messages
80
Location
Lincs UK
I’ve been doing the same, but on 1/1/22 I’ve decided that’s the time to clear the stock from my layout and crack on :)

…I think taking the stock off is the only way to stop the procrastination :D
Exactly what I have just done, well moved it all to one end of the layout so that I can have a proper painting session at the other end without fear of splashes on stock or buildings. Am beginning to wonder if I should wait for the summer to help the paint to dry though, getting very cold here now! Putting the stock out of the way helps to prevent painting sessions turning into running sessions too :p
 

reddragon

Established Member
Joined
24 Mar 2016
Messages
3,274
Location
Churn (closed)
I am lucky in that I can do scenery and run trains at the same time with no trains put away :) or is that a bad idea?
 

fourtytwo

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2021
Messages
80
Location
Lincs UK
Hahaha I think maybe exactly the seat of your problem.....insufficient attention!! That's why I made mine inoperable first. But another problem I suffer from not being an artist or of an artistic bent I find the task very daunting so I don't try and do the whole scenic treatment all at once otherwise I just stall and get nowhere, so today for example I am just sloshing paint around so anything bare like the baseboard just goes mostly green as a more appropriate setting. Detail comes in dribs & drabs later .............
 

reddragon

Established Member
Joined
24 Mar 2016
Messages
3,274
Location
Churn (closed)
Fleet update

Traction

D1016 my vintage Lima Western now has a stay alive fitted to get it over the section gaps. I also fitted this to my EPS livery 73118 which has a printer motor replacement of the original Lima motor. I might do further conversions eventually. My Lima 156, another that has the gapping issue is now listed on eBay. It has an ESU sound chip & speaker. I was going to take the chip out for another better modern DMU but priorities have changed. This leaves Lima 37012, 50043 & D1071 still with split pick ups & gapping issues. These will all probably be replaced with better models in time or gain a stay alive.

I still have 5 locos on order, 3 steam and 2 diesel plus a MU high on my wish list hence the stock sales.

Coaches

Listed on eBay are now: -

Mainline Mk1 Crimson & Cream BSK W34820
Bachmann Mk2s NSE BFK 17040
Mainline Mk2d Blue & Grey SO E5690

My Mk2a rake has been reformed. BFK 17040 in NSE has been put up for sale and the set reduced to 7 coaches mixed NSE & Blue/Grey
My Mk2de rake has lost the ER BSO E5690 and gained BSO 2a W17069 making it a 6 car rake. It had been confined to the sidings as it had no brake car.
My GWR HST rake now has the 4 coaches of Castle set GW04 and 3 standard GWR Mk3s, a TS, TRFK & TF to enable it to return to London duties.

I have just ordered a new rake of coaches due late 2022.

Wagons

Listed on eBay are now 3 Lima PTAs

My Lima Sealion / Seacow rake is OOU
My Freightliner HIA-MJA 10 car rake has been split from the extra long open wagon rake as 24 wagons was a bit much. I was worried what would happen if it derailed.
My open wagon rake is now just 14 NR/EWS open wagons or IOA, JNA, MBA, MCA types

My freightliner Container rake has issues once extended to 16 wagons so I had to reform it. Now it's fine

Railway

Only recent works has been thorough track cleaning, first for a year!
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,951
Location
Devon
You’ve been very busy with your purchasing there. I’ve heard of the printer motor conversion before. Did you do it yourself? Is it difficult?
 

reddragon

Established Member
Joined
24 Mar 2016
Messages
3,274
Location
Churn (closed)
You’ve been very busy with your purchasing there. I’ve heard of the printer motor conversion before. Did you do it yourself? Is it difficult?
I bought it like it but the seller does easy kits.

#############

My class 156, the Mk 2d and 2x PTAs have already sold and are off to their new railways tomorrow.

So I listed 6 more Lima wagons, YGH Seacows!
 
Last edited:

reddragon

Established Member
Joined
24 Mar 2016
Messages
3,274
Location
Churn (closed)
Some more Lima wagons have sold, payday came :)

I have raised 54% of the funds required for my next purchase!

I still have a Mainline Mk1, Bachmann 2a, a Lima PTA & 3 YGH wagons to sell.

I might soon list up to 4 Lima locos, 3 I have decided not to upgrade for gapping issues and one because of duplication. I was going to wait for their replacements to arrive but why waster Xmas shortages?

They maybe a 37,50,52,60.

My pre-order list remains as: -

3 steam but might cancel 1
2 Diesel
8 coaches

New orders likely & funding plan required: -

4 EMUs
5 Wagons
 

fourtytwo

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2021
Messages
80
Location
Lincs UK
Lot's of activity on *bay there, successful by the sounds of it. I have noticed a recent rise in auction prices, I don't know if that's general inflation or more bidders as winter keeps us all indoors and spending more time on railway modelling.
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,951
Location
Devon
Some more Lima wagons have sold, payday came :)

I have raised 54% of the funds required for my next purchase!

I still have a Mainline Mk1, Bachmann 2a, a Lima PTA & 3 YGH wagons to sell.

I might soon list up to 4 Lima locos, 3 I have decided not to upgrade for gapping issues and one because of duplication. I was going to wait for their replacements to arrive but why waster Xmas shortages?

They maybe a 37,50,52,60.

My pre-order list remains as: -

3 steam but might cancel 1
2 Diesel
8 coaches

New orders likely & funding plan required: -

4 EMUs
5 Wagons

I like the rather precise 54%. :lol:
What are the locos on pre-order?
 

reddragon

Established Member
Joined
24 Mar 2016
Messages
3,274
Location
Churn (closed)
I like the rather precise 54%. :lol:
What are the locos on pre-order?
Surprises rule ;)

I had to order at 54% because stock levels have not surprisingly dropped considering the value for money! Pics next week :)

############

Advent calendar 2021! This will be stuff ordered since last year!

Class 491 unit 404

1638381092906.png
 
Last edited:

reddragon

Established Member
Joined
24 Mar 2016
Messages
3,274
Location
Churn (closed)
Now that looks quite nice. Really quite an interesting thing to have on a layout, given how they look like EMUs but being unpowered stock they're more like coaches with a DVT I suppose?

-Peter
Can be push or pulled by 33,71 or 73s on my railway or even another EMU.

1638386702009.png
1638386721174.png
1638386740075.png

Southern was so flexible! (past tense)
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,951
Location
Devon
That does look very nice.
Maybe all GTR needs now is a few 33s, a 73, maybe a 4-VEP or something similar? :lol:

-Peter

I mean like @reddragon says, it was so versatile and it all worked very well. I know that the mk1 based units looked a bit old fashioned though.
 

reddragon

Established Member
Joined
24 Mar 2016
Messages
3,274
Location
Churn (closed)
All Southern stock, Class 33,71,73,74 worked in multiple with all Southern EMUs built from 1951 to 1975. It was a dream world. Even the latter Class 442/455/456 worked to a degree! Class 73 motor bogies were the same as those on the 4REP and the motors the same on the Class 442 being ex REP

Day 2 is Mk 2E day, I have 2 FOs and 2 TSOs added this year with a buffet and brake coach replacing my MR Airfix / Mainline coaches

1638432525508.png
1638432571695.png
 

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
15 Apr 2016
Messages
18,951
Location
Devon
All Southern stock, Class 33,71,73,74 worked in multiple with all Southern EMUs built from 1951 to 1975. It was a dream world. Even the latter Class 442/455/456 worked to a degree! Class 73 motor bogies were the same as those on the 4REP and the motors the same on the Class 442 being ex REP

Day 2 is Mk 2E day, I have 2 FOs and 2 TSOs added this year with a buffet and brake coach replacing my MR Airfix / Mainline coaches

View attachment 106388
View attachment 106389

Did you used to call them ‘Coffins’ like we did?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top